Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

'07 V6 Pony Package vs '07 V8 GT

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2007, 08:17 PM
Buckshot Barry
3rd Gear Member

Default '07 V6 Pony Package vs '07 V8 GT

I've had my new Mustang for 2 weeks now and got to thinkingwhyI like the V6 Pony Package better than the V8 GT. I'm in my late 40's and was looking more for retro styling thanraw power. I've owned a new '88 5.0 GT and used '70 302 Sports Roof in the past, so I've had a taste of the V8 madness. Who knows, maybe this will help others in making this decision.

07'V6 Pony Package Pluses
[ul][*]Front grill with smaller fog lights and "coral" around pony[*]Tri Bar Pony Emblems on wheels, faux fuel door (was trunk release), steering wheel, and side badges[*]Cloth seats available in the Premium version[*]Black rocker panels[*]4.0 has a cast iron engine block[*]Side stripes[*]Lower insurance rates[*]Better gas mileage
[/ul]
07' V8 GT Pluses
[ul][*]More horse power and torque[*]8.5" rear end[*]Factory Dual Exhaust (the one item I envy the most)[/ul]
I use to think the traditional rear spoiler was a plus on the GT untilI started driving the Pony Package. I've really come to like the low lines and unobstructive rear view of the V6 spoiler. So this one is an "Equal" for me. If the Pony Package didn't have the 17" Bullitts, the GT would take the styling points hands down. One last item, the V6 with T5 manual has ample power in going from 0 to 70 MPH. No regrets in this department at all.
Old 02-09-2007, 08:32 PM
cookiemonster
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: '07 V6 Pony Package vs '07 V8 GT

I went with the V6 Pony Pkg over the GT ... the V6 has plenty of power for me & saves me $$$! I didn't want to pay thousands more just to get from 0 to 60 a few tenths of a second faster, or a little more push-in-the-seat feeling. And, on the other hand, if I ever need more power - well, there's bolt on superchargers, etc.
Old 02-09-2007, 08:40 PM
phunnyguy
4th Gear Member

i got the pony pack and love it.....added magnaflows.....shes a sleeper now......i get many compliments on her styling and sound.....best buy for a car in this price range anywhere...mileage is good, insurance reasonable, daily driver, and stylish.......
Old 02-09-2007, 08:42 PM
phunnyguy
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: phunnyguy

i got the pony pack and love it.....added magnaflows.....shes a sleeper now......i get many compliments on her styling and sound.....best buy for a car in this price range anywhere...mileage is good, insurance reasonable, daily driver, and stylish.......i have the gt spoiler and love the look.....adding some new bezels on the outside to her next week, looking more retro as she goes on.....i love it
Old 02-09-2007, 10:19 PM
Tungsten Traf

Hey Buckshot, I myself am in my forties, early that is. I agree with you 100%!!! Especially the styling, Our Ponys stand out! Not to mention saving some $$$. My car is my mid life crisis, but affordable, 06 2 months old 2,000 miles $15000! Nothing out there compares. Only have mine 3 weeks driven maybe five times, but worth every penny already! Have never had so much fun driving in my life. Cannot wait for spring! Regards, Tungsten Traf
Old 02-09-2007, 11:55 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

Trunk release? Where?
Old 02-10-2007, 12:11 AM
JimC

I had the option of a red GT convertible or my black V6 pony convertible. I drove both, and they were optioned out identically except for the V8. I like the Pony grill better, and decided that the extra second of 0 - 60 wasn't worth the extra $5,000 it was going to cost me to get the other two cylinders and dual exhaust. (I wish that Ford put duals on the V6 as well though). I have nothing against the GT, I just couldn't justify it for myself -- the V6 is quick enough for my needs, I can get a speeding ticket just as easily, and any Mustang looks good and can capture attention if you want it to!
Old 02-10-2007, 12:30 AM
6mustang6
5th Gear Member

I pick the pony package all the way. True i wanted a GT but unfornuatly cant get one. I absolutely refuse to buy a V6 without the pony package, it makes the car to me. I drive old mustangs and i like how they replicate old styling, such as the tri bar embelms, corral, and fog lights like the original 65+ mustangs. So what is the 0-60 time in the v6 mustang? I am curious.
Old 02-10-2007, 12:37 AM
rmays06
5th Gear Member

I picked the V6 Pony first to drive. I knew what I wanted then. I couldn't afford the insurance on the GT either. I was sold on the handeling and looks of the Mustang overall. I love my V6!
Old 02-10-2007, 12:42 AM
Ken M
1st Gear Member

Add me to the list of Pony package owners for the same reasons...plus let's not forget the improved "GT inspired" suspension. I never drove a V6 without the Pony package so I can't compare the handling, butI'm amazed at how well it handles through the curves and corners. This car makes driving FUN again.

Buckshot Barry: Curious why the cast iron block is a plus?

Quick Reply: '07 V6 Pony Package vs '07 V8 GT