Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

when selling, do you remove mods?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 03:41 PM
msulifter37
1st Gear Member

Default when selling, do you remove mods?

Ok, so I just got back from Ford. I had them look at my car for the second time to see why it keeps dying. Their answer? The car doesn't like cold michigan winters. Ok, fine. If that's the problem, I guess the stang is not the car for me. I need something that can sit for at least a few days without needing to be started. I have decided to sell it this summer. So here's the question: Should I try to sell it privately with all the mods still on it, or remove the mods and never tell the buyer that it was once modded. Personally, I think that the mods I have on the car add to the appeal, but I know that mods tend to lower the value of the car.

What do you think? If I do remove the mods, what the heck do I do with the xcal II? I can't exactly sell it to someone with a different car can I?
Old 02-16-2007, 03:53 PM
v6VenoM
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: when selling, do you remove mods?

Ok my opinion on mods is that on the street they up the value. The dealer may say they don't care but best believe when they re-sell your car they are telling people about all the mods it has. I may be wrong but that's my opinion. I'd sell it with the mods. And I live in NJ and I let my car sit for a day and it was struggling to start. Sucks. I guess I will just start it every day. Good luck.
Old 02-16-2007, 04:06 PM
raubt
4th Gear Member

It depends on who you're selling it to. The dealer doesn't care at all about your mods -- you will lose the mod money if you trade in your car. Same as if you're selling it to someone who doesn't know about/care about cars & just wants your ride as a daily driver or whatever.

But if you're selling it to someone who knows about and is into cars, they the mods might give a little extra value. You'll never, ever recover full mod-value when you sell (even if it's to another car-guy), but they might help a little, and might make it easier to close the sale because the car is something impressive.

And like you mentioned, what do you do with the mods after if you choose to take them off? You can sell them on ebay or something, but again, you're not going to recover (even close to) the value of the mods, so you're pretty much screwed either way.

Typically mods don't decrease the value of your car, but they also likely won't add any value to the sale. Mods might, however, make the car harder to sell in some cases, because some 50-year old granny who wants a nice daily driver might not be impressed by your dual MRT AeroTurbines, but generally speaking, they shouldn't hurt the sale value of your car. More likely is that they just won't boost the sale value, and all those thousands of dollars or whatever you spent will be lost when you sell.
Old 02-16-2007, 04:09 PM
v6VenoM
3rd Gear Member

I say sell your Mustang to some young kid who will be wowed by your mods lol and he won't know any better. and then when he is convincing his daddy to buy it for him he will say daddy it already has dual exhausts, and look how sexy it looks with that chin spoiler, etc lol But yea I agree with raubt about not decreasing the value.
Old 02-16-2007, 04:45 PM
rmays06
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: msulifter37

Ok, so I just got back from Ford. I had them look at my car for the second time to see why it keeps dying. Their answer? The car doesn't like cold michigan winters. Ok, fine. If that's the problem, I guess the stang is not the car for me. I need something that can sit for at least a few days without needing to be started. I have decided to sell it this summer.
Your selling your car this summer because it doesn't like cold michigan winters? WOW, must be a true Mustang fan!
Old 02-16-2007, 05:36 PM
NickSezz
4th Gear Member

Its not the cold...something is wrong with your stang. I let my car sit for 2 days in under 30 degree weather and it only took and extra 2 seconds to start...ran strong after that. Try a better battery and some good low temp oil like pennzoil...
Old 02-16-2007, 05:42 PM
68XR7
2nd Gear Member

You know, it's kind ofinteresting. When they want to sell you a car, they jump out in front of your vehicle with that same stupid smile on there face, waving there arms as if they were stranded on the North pole. When they get you inside, they promise you that if you E-e-e-e-e-ver have any problems, you should bring the car back and they'll have their top service guy (nationally acclaimed, by the way) get right on it even if they have to call him at home.
So you buy it, the car doesn't start properly. You bring it back to the dealership and they say something profound like "It doesn't like Michigan winters". Ever wonder why people like myself don't like car dealers?
Old 02-16-2007, 05:54 PM
GrayPony
4th Gear Member

My car sits for weeks at a time... never had a problem starting.(yes it's beencold here inNJ)
I suggest finding a new dealer to service your car. Do you have an aftermarket alarm or monster audio system?
Old 02-16-2007, 06:02 PM
NickSezz
4th Gear Member

Car dealers are just there to sell cars. They are a business and the cars are their product. I'll bet that they do not care about Fords reputation at all. Ford wants to sell cars to dealers...then Ford is happy...The dealers then want to sell them to you, and they dont want them back...That makes the dealer happy...

I will only go to Ford if something really catastrophic happens to my car and warrenty will fix it, otherwise I'll go to a good shop that knows what the hell they are doing (those shops are becoming rare...) or I will take care of it myself.

The dealers don't want to spend time and money fixing your car when they can be buying and selling others. When they spend time and money fixing cars, thats less cars they can buy and sell and less cars they will buy from Ford....Prices go up...Then everyone is pissed off....
Old 02-16-2007, 06:15 PM
v6VenoM
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GrayPony

My car sits for weeks at a time... never had a problem starting.(yes it's beencold here inNJ)
I suggest finding a new dealer to service your car. Do you have an aftermarket alarm or monster audio system?
Where in NJ are you? I'm in Hudson Co. I let my car sit for the past two days and it took me a little extra to start it. And this year in the winter I hear this weird noise coming from right in front of me under the dash. So weird I can't even describe what it sounds like LOL But I do have an alarm, system and my fog lights hooked up to the battery. So you think that could be the problem why my battery isn't turning over right away? I need a CAP, I know that much and I know it ain't the cause of that weird noise though lol

Quick Reply: when selling, do you remove mods?