Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

I need Help With JBA HEADERS...?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 10:44 PM
05MineralGreyMustang
1st Gear Member

Default I need Help With JBA HEADERS...?

Im going to order JBAShorty Headers, What i wanted to know is How difficult is the installation i see the old headers look pretty easy to remove but is there anything i need to know being a beginnger at installing headers? It's basicly bolt on operation right? i also see this thick tube that runs from the TB To the HEADER what is that?

Also how tight do they need to be is there a sertant spec* to tighten them at ? or it just needs to be tight enuff to not fall off

And what problems can i see by installing them my self , And not having a expert do it?
Old 02-24-2007, 10:52 PM
cvz_finezt
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: I need Help With JBA HEADERS...?

the install is ez, took me lik 45 minutes to do it on a saturday morning about a year back. all u need is some basic hand tools, a 6 pack of ur favorite alcoholic brew...and some jack stands. and tht tube sticking out is ur O2 sensor. well one of them anyway. and u can tighten them all the way down, but remember they are going to expand with heat and retract with cold. so dont tighten them too too much so that u have no room for expansion, and afterward, about every couple of weeks retighten the bolts, cuz they tend to loosen up a bit after a while.
Old 02-24-2007, 10:58 PM
05MineralGreyMustang
1st Gear Member

Why do i need a jack, am i installing them from under the car or from the top hood of the car
Old 02-24-2007, 11:00 PM
cvz_finezt
2nd Gear Member

u still have to unbolt them from the cats... unless u have long arms the guess u dont need the jack.
Old 02-25-2007, 12:06 AM
MdnytRider
1st Gear Member

The headers are easy enough to install, just make sure to follow JBA's instructions faithfully - they're pretty complete. The hardest part is removing the old header studs, though some leave them in place. If you do remove them, you can use the double nut method, or go to Sears and buy some female Torx sockets. Some people reuse the OE gaskets instead of the ones supplied by JBA, but that's a personal preference. Whichever you choose, follow the torque specs and retorque everything a couple of times at two week intervals. The big tube from the driver's side header to the Throttle Body is the EGR tube. You need a 1 1/16" combi-wrench or crows foot to remove it. Make sure you put never-seize on the threads where the EGR tube attaches to the header in case you ever need to remove it again. You definitely will need to get under the car to remove the cat-pipe bolts, so be sure to use jack stands or ramps. Good luck...
Old 02-25-2007, 12:23 AM
FastMustang06
1st Gear Member

Just had my JBA shorties today and I went to our local Midas shop for an install quote = $225 bucks! That's a little to much do y'all think?

It seemed like a simple job to do just like removing your 4 wheels! Remove the bolts then bolt on and you're done! I think I'm just gonna do it on my own and just take time undoing and installing the new headers. It's gonna be fun and I'm gonna use the shop manual for guidance, Just wish me luck!

Helpful comments or tips are greatly appreciated! No 2 year old flames please.

P.S Torque according to the shop manual is 40 Nm ( 30lb-ft.) for the cat-exhaust, EGR is 39 Nm ( 29 lb-ft. ), 6 nuts LH and RH with gasket 23 Nm ( 17 ft.-lb)
Old 02-25-2007, 12:31 AM
ricklmesa@cox.net
3rd Gear Member

Fazm did it for me for about $150.00 or meybe it was $180.00 not sure.
Old 02-25-2007, 12:57 AM
05MineralGreyMustang
1st Gear Member

What kind of diffrence do you see with JBA Short Headers?
Off the line power
Sound wise?
And HP
Old 02-25-2007, 01:01 AM
05MineralGreyMustang
1st Gear Member

O Yeah and should i RETORQUE all the bolts like the ones connecting the headers to the engine and the bolts connecting to the cats

Old 02-25-2007, 01:03 AM
FastMustang06
1st Gear Member

Again here's the recommended torque for the headers:

Torque according to the shop manual is:

40 Nm ( 30lb-ft.) for the cat-exhaust,

EGR is 39 Nm ( 29 lb-ft. ),

6 nuts LH and RH with gasket 23 Nm ( 17 ft.-lb)

Quick Reply: I need Help With JBA HEADERS...?