Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Need more power with out voiding warranty

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 06:41 PM
nickes

Default Need more power with out voiding warranty

I have a 2006 V6 automatic, and I want a little more power off the line. I purchased the 7 year extended warrenty and do not want to void it. I do not have any mechanical ability. I live in NY, and purchased the car at Mahwah Ford 9 months ago. I am willing to spend about $500, but I do not want my MPG to decrease. Any sugguestions, with out voiding the warranty?
Old 03-02-2007, 07:32 PM
scrming
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Need more power with out voiding warranty

ORIGINAL: nickes

I have a 2006 V6 automatic, and I want a little more power off the line. I purchased the 7 year extended warrenty and do not want to void it. I do not have any mechanical ability. I live in NY, and purchased the car at Mahwah Ford 9 months ago. I am willing to spend about $500, but I do not want my MPG to decrease. Any sugguestions, with out voiding the warranty?
Well... you could get a tuner like the SCT X-Cal2... should free up some HP and some Torque... will help with your throttle response and make your shifting better... No mechanical ability needed... just plug it in, follow a few easy directions and your done. Need to take your car in for service, simply return your car to stock...

Old 03-02-2007, 07:41 PM
wolfey2k
4th Gear Member

I would think that upgrading the exhaust first would be in order. Single axle back of course for a simple improvement in bottom end and MPG. I went the other way with duals for top end performance and an eventual addition of an xcharger.
Anyway, exhaust first, tuner next.
Old 03-02-2007, 07:57 PM
nickes

Would adding a flowmasterexhaust void my warranty? How much HP gain? and cost?
Old 03-02-2007, 08:01 PM
wolfey2k
4th Gear Member

No it won't.
I am not sure of the gainson a singlecause I am running duals. But there are gains to be had.
I think scrmn can answer you on that though.
Old 03-02-2007, 08:09 PM
MdnytRider
1st Gear Member

Having upgraded my car in a step-by-step process (exhaust, CAI & Tune), believe me, there is no warrantable upgrade that is going to make a noticeable difference in performance for under $500. A K&N CAI w/o tune is only good for 6 hp -and every other CAI requires a tune (min cost ~ $550) which is a warranty killer. A single GT muffler will make little difference in performance or sound, and a good true dual system will cost near $500 and depending on your dealer could makewarranty claims a PITA. I agree with Wolfey that exhaust is the way to go first.A singleMRT Axle back looks funny but sounds good and should be in your price range. Have fun...
Old 03-02-2007, 08:38 PM
scrming
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MdnytRider

Having upgraded my car in a step-by-step process (exhaust, CAI & Tune), believe me, there is no warrantable upgrade that is going to make a noticeable difference in performance for under $500. A K&N CAI w/o tune is only good for 6 hp -and every other CAI requires a tune (min cost ~ $550) which is a warranty killer. A single GT muffler will make little difference in performance or sound, and a good true dual system will cost near $500 and depending on your dealer could makewarranty claims a PITA. I agree with Wolfey that exhaust is the way to go first.A singleMRT Axle back looks funny but sounds good and should be in your price range. Have fun...
well... not exactly....

A GT take off muffler is good for about 10RWHP... this has been proven on multiple dynos. Duals are for looks... you will only see a few extra HP... you put duals on for looks and sound..

Noting kills your entire warranty! The dealership needs to show that the failure was caused by the aftermarket part... in the case of the CAI/Tuner... simply hold on to your stock airbox! You should be able to swap your CAI and stock box in 15 minutes...reflash the car back to stock and you're golden! Heck I had my throttle position sensor replaced with my Zex nitrous kit installed in plain sight and it was still wired up to the TPS!!

As far as a tuner... on an automatic it will make a very nice improvement... the shifting on the autmatics is terrible stock... and the throttle lag is crappy... a tuner will bring a lot to the table... So you can spend $400 on a X-Cal2 and then pick up a very inexpensive GT take off muffler! And still have money left over...

Old 03-02-2007, 09:25 PM
rmays06
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: scrming

well... not exactly....

A GT take off muffler is good for about 10RWHP... this has been proven on multiple dynos. Duals are for looks... you will only see a few extra HP... you put duals on for looks and sound..

Noting kills your entire warranty! The dealership needs to show that the failure was caused by the aftermarket part... in the case of the CAI/Tuner... simply hold on to your stock airbox! You should be able to swap your CAI and stock box in 15 minutes...reflash the car back to stock and you're golden! Heck I had my throttle position sensor replaced with my Zex nitrous kit installed in plain sight and it was still wired up to the TPS!!

As far as a tuner... on an automatic it will make a very nice improvement... the shifting on the autmatics is terrible stock... and the throttle lag is crappy... a tuner will bring a lot to the table... So you can spend $400 on a X-Cal2 and then pick up a very inexpensive GT take off muffler! And still have money left over...
This is the way to go! Tuner is the best choice gas miliage, power and even drivabilty are all imporved with this little wonder you hold into you hand. Mufflers are great but not much power but sound good. JBA, flowmaster and of course MRT are all very popular.

Wolfy no need to argue here!
Old 03-02-2007, 09:31 PM
wolfey2k
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: rmays06

ORIGINAL: scrming

well... not exactly....

This is the way to go! Tuner is the best choice gas miliage, power and even drivabilty are all imporved with this little wonder you hold into you hand. Mufflers are great but not much power but sound good. JBA, flowmaster and of course MRT are all very popular.

Wolfy no need to argue here!
Ahh, he becons thee!
You are entitled to your opinion and I am entitled to mine.
Scrmn even says that a single axleback,,,GT no less, is good for 10HP gain by itself! ;-p

If you want to upgrade smartly and cheaply little by little, an axle back upgrade is 'always' the best first step IMHO of course.
Oh and it's Wolfey, not Wolfy :[
Old 03-02-2007, 09:48 PM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

you can do gears and tlok, the dealer wont realize if it is in there

Quick Reply: Need more power with out voiding warranty