Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Supercharger PSI

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 12:04 AM
ricklmesa@cox.net
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Supercharger PSI

ORIGINAL: fazm

im running 9psi, i feel its quite safe, and im at the 371rwhp number (about 430flywheel)

if you want your engine to last more than 100k miles though id never go over 8/9psi
I was thinking of going to 10 PSI but after that comment I might go with 9 or prolly just keep it at 7
Old 03-13-2007, 02:19 AM
illegal1984
1st Gear Member

tru as it may be that you guys have s/c's while i do not...I DON'T THINK it is a good idea to advice him to go over 8 psi without knowing who he is going to for the tune and what type of applications he is looking at for the car...let me also go out on a limb and make a blanket statement that any V6 running 10 psi or above WILL NOT MAKE IT to 100,000 miles on stock parts....its up to you as to how far you want to push your car...truth be told most of these guys have turbo or s/c so they would know more than me about the subject...BUT the majority of you guys are more track performance orientated and needless to say have broken things in the past...with that in mind again i'd say 6 psi...maybe up to 8 if you are feeling lucky....

PS go Vortech...
Old 03-13-2007, 04:48 AM
petepete
5th Gear Member

The companies making these kits would not sell them at an unsafe boost. Procharger has an 11 psi option and vortech has a 10 psi kit. Even on the canned tune your car would be safe for a while mayb enot as long as on a custom tune. Remember these companies want to make money by having you come back and buying their stuff again for other cars and gaining a good rep. they wont do that ruining your cars.
Old 03-13-2007, 12:56 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

With a conservative tune, and proper cooling, 10lbs is fine. Remember, 10lbs with a safe tune with less timing is better than 7-8lbs with an aggressive tune. All the poped motors here were done by track junkies with specific circumstances. "will not make it"? Do you have data to back this up. Other than Scrming, who got greedy and sparyed early, and me, who had octane lowering detergent in my tank, what other proof do you have? There are guys running ranger 4.0s, to 100k, with an X charger at higher IAT's than a vortech at 10lbs with no issues.

Old 03-13-2007, 01:46 PM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

1.) depends on the tune, boost doesnt kill the motor, its the detonation from a bad tune and running lean, if you get a tuner and lean out a bone stock motor and boost another and tune it right, the boosted one will last longer, its all inthe tune

2.) yes, procharger comes with one

3) cant help

4.) ati had seal problems about 5 years ago but has been fixed
Old 03-13-2007, 05:19 PM
illegal1984
1st Gear Member

i hear you rygen...but its not about proof its about probability...everyone makes mistakes...and he might do something to trigger something else...the same way you guys did...you guys have a lot more knowledge than this guy or me for that matter on the subject...but I have to say that at least in this particular circumstance you are not accounting for all the variables...10 psi is not 'safe'...its viable...its workable...but it is not safe...im sure you can find a Ranger over 100,000 miles with a X-charger if you look hard enough but thats not representative of the big picture...you're talking about two different vehicles, with two different drivers (how the car is driven), and vehicles doing two separate things...even then if you do, you are still talking about a minority...my definition of 'safe' is foolproof, dummyproof, and idiotproof...hence 6psi...even at 8 psi the probability of what CAN happen is too high for me to call it 'safe'...you guys just like to live dangerously...
Old 03-13-2007, 09:04 PM
ricklmesa@cox.net
3rd Gear Member

So it would obviously be better for meto go 9psi with less timing to acheive at least the same hp and tq I have now at a more conservative tune. My 7psi tune is pretty aggressive I would say ya?
Old 03-13-2007, 09:14 PM
petepete
5th Gear Member

i bet at 9 psi youll get better numbers than you have now on a safer tune probably.
Old 03-13-2007, 11:17 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ricklmesa@***.net

So it would obviously be better for me to go 9psi with less timing to acheive at least the same hp and tq I have now at a more conservative tune. My 7psi tune is pretty aggressive I would say ya?
I would have an IC when you to to 9psi.
Old 03-13-2007, 11:57 PM
fazm
5th Gear Member

rick already has an intercooler, i dunno why he only runs 7psi

Quick Reply: Supercharger PSI