Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

X-Charger #20 Dyno Results

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 01:49 AM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

Default RE: X-Charger #20 Dyno Results

The clips hold the bearing caps at the end of the universal joint crosspieces in place. If the caps get loose, the universal can come apart and throw the shaft..The '05's and very early 06's had these caps only swaged in place (basically held in by denting up the metal a bit). from early-mid '06 up Ford smartened up and went to the tried and true clip style.

It's a serious enough issue that at least one tuner (Doug at *a major tuningshop in Alabama*) won't remove the speed limiter on his tunes unless it's verified that a stronger aftermarket shaft is in place.
Old 03-16-2007, 01:51 AM
8cd03gro
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: wolfey2k

Who did it happen to and why? Were they pushing a ton more HP to the rear wheels as with supercharging etc?
I can't see any driveshaft made to fail over x speed. My god, just think of the law suits Ford would have to deal with for allowing such a flaw to exist.
They probably broke due to too much torquebeing pumped through them as is possible with boosted setups. Not speed related though.
that's a major reason the speed limiter is set to...is it 113 stock? can't remember exactly, but if you compare it to any other cars in the 4.0's class power wise that is a VERY low speed limiter.
Old 03-16-2007, 03:14 AM
v6VenoM
3rd Gear Member

and i dont think you would be able to sue Ford, I mean you are technically breaking the law going that fast are you not?
Old 03-16-2007, 04:29 AM
ilduce321
2nd Gear Member

The stock limiter is 113mph. And no, you couldn't sue Ford. I believe that the max speed limit you'll see in most places is 70mph...if you're going over that ANYWHERE, you're breaking the law and "driving at excessive speeds," hence if the driveshaft goes, it's your fault. Funny how a thread on dyno results turned into a driveshaft debate!!!!
Old 03-16-2007, 01:00 PM
wolfey2k
4th Gear Member

that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard.
Old 03-16-2007, 01:37 PM
ilduce321
2nd Gear Member

What's so dumb about it? If you're speeding, and by that I mean going over the speed limit and thus breaking the law, and the driveshaft goes, or anything else for that matter, why would Ford be held responsible? All they would have to say is, the car is designed to operate within the confines of the law, and this car was obviously not operating within the limits of the law, and I'd be willing to bet they'd be off the hook. And anyway, I don't believe the driveshaft problem showed up until around 120mph, so if your driving that fast consistantly, you've got to expect things to fail on a car not designed to go that fast.
Old 03-16-2007, 01:40 PM
wolfey2k
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ilduce321

What's so dumb about it? If you're speeding, and by that I mean going over the speed limit and thus breaking the law, and the driveshaft goes, or anything else for that matter, why would Ford be held responsible? All they would have to say is, the car is designed to operate within the confines of the law, and this car was obviously not operating within the limits of the law, and I'd be willing to bet they'd be off the hook. And anyway, I don't believe the driveshaft problem showed up until around 120mph, so if your driving that fast consistantly, you've got to expect things to fail on a car not designed to go that fast.
Never mind. Not worth discussing any further. Geesh.
Old 03-16-2007, 01:42 PM
ilduce321
2nd Gear Member

Sorry Wolfey, I agree. I don't like arguing, but felt the need to stand up for myself. Agree to disagree!!!!!
Old 03-16-2007, 01:45 PM
v6VenoM
3rd Gear Member

hey sorry for bringing up the Driveshaft and thus making ur thread into something it was not intended to be I was just curious because I am definitely going F/I very soon. BTW great results on the Dyno!
Old 03-16-2007, 01:45 PM
wolfey2k
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ilduce321

Sorry Wolfey, I agree. I don't like arguing, but felt the need to stand up for myself. Agree to disagree!!!!!
right

Quick Reply: X-Charger #20 Dyno Results