Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Cold Air Intake

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2007, 11:04 PM
NewtoStangs
1st Gear Member

Default Cold Air Intake

Hi everyone!!
As you can see I am a new Mustang owner 06 Tourch Red Convertible.
If I install an after market CAI and axel back Stainless muffler do I have to flash the computer?

Thanks for any help.
Old 04-14-2007, 11:25 PM
enzo51
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Cold Air Intake

new tune only ifthe CAI ahs a different intake diameter than the stock.
Most of the CAI available require a tune.
K&N has a CAI that does not require a tune tough.
Old 04-14-2007, 11:31 PM
NewtoStangs
1st Gear Member

What do you mean by tune? I have been reading some and there are some on ebay that say do not require a flash.
Old 04-14-2007, 11:51 PM
Dennis074.0
3rd Gear Member

tune = flash (or reflash)
Old 04-15-2007, 12:11 AM
deutscherstang
I ♥ Acer

section about tuners on a sticky entitled read here before asking about tuners
"TUNERS!
A tuner (reflashing) will change the program that your car runs on. To avoid warranty issues just "Flash" back to stock before having it serviced. It's really a case by case basis depending on your dealer. Read this post by scrming:

"If you flash your car can the dealership tell? Yes, they can... No, they can't.... The debate has raged on long enough!!!

Here is the answer I got back from my sources inside of Ford engineering... I even had multiple sources confirm this... I'm sure someone is going to disagree with me... however I basically went to the horse's mouth on this one...

As it stands TODAY, all the dealership can tell is the last time the computer has been reset. Notice I said reset, not reflashed. Yes, reflashing does set this reset "date". But guess what... so does disconnecting the battery! LOL! So the dealership has no way of know what caused the reset... Simply tell them you left your lights on! LOL! Or in my case the bottle heaters! Ok, so maybe not the bottle heaters! LOL!

Now Ford does have a way to download the programming in the computer... if you did not reflash the car to stock then they will obviously see the differences and no you reflashed the car... however if you put the computer back to stock then all they will be able to tell is that the comptuer was reset... again... oops... i killed my battery... LOL!

Hopefully this will put an end to the debate...."

-scrming

Here are the most common companies for the XCAL2 tuner in no particular order:

Fred At Evolution Performance Site Sponsor
Doug At ****
Lidio At Alternative Auto
Brent At Brenspeed Site Sponsor
TunableInduction Site Sponsor "
Old 04-15-2007, 02:31 AM
Dwisforme05
5th Gear Member

if ur looking for an intake that doesnt require a tune i strongly suggest the MRT CAI. i picked one up yesterday and im very happy with it. you feel the little extra kick that it gives you, and you can definatly hear it.
Old 04-15-2007, 12:35 PM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

if you dont get a tune with the CAI then you basically baught a expensive paper weight, you can drop in a K&N and modify the stock air box and be done with it

i would get a CAI and tune from justin at vmptuning.com
Old 04-15-2007, 07:37 PM
NewtoStangs
1st Gear Member

Thanks Guys for the input, has anyone tried a MAC axleback muffler? I am looking at that or a PYPES Violator both from Brenspeed on ebay.
I am also looking at a S&B Cold Air Intake any one have any input? The ad states it does not require any reflash.
Old 04-15-2007, 10:15 PM
rmays06
5th Gear Member

Stay away form the ebay CAI unless they are a "name" tuner or companies CAI. Also as stated earlier read the TUNER post. I personally got the Tunable Indutions deal for like $525 and I couldn't be happier and it is a great feeling in the whole new car.
Old 04-16-2007, 02:32 PM
Dwisforme05
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mustangman02232

if you dont get a tune with the CAI then you basically baught a expensive paper weight, you can drop in a K&N and modify the stock air box and be done with it

i would get a CAI and tune from justin at vmptuning.com
ha yeah thats what alot of people say. but when i installed my MRT CAI withouta tune i noticed a difference. not just the sound but around 3000 rpm it seems to pull more. and i was researching where intakes really make the difference and a few sources and the manager of a performance shop said thats right about where it should be. so for whoever made this post if you have the money definatly go with a CAI plus tune but if your low on cash im pretty happy with the MRT. plus you can always tune it later!

Quick Reply: Cold Air Intake