Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Modding a GT grill for V6

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 02:55 AM
JimStang

Default Modding a GT grill for V6

Okay, I know the GT grill won't fit the V6 without some modifications, but I've never seen the details or a write up on exactly what has to be modded to make it fit.

Anyone have a link to some details about what needs to be trimmed/altered/hacked to get a GT grill to fit a V6?

Old 04-25-2007, 07:06 AM
whitevert232

Default RE: Modding a GT grill for V6

I'm interested in doing this as well. I ran into a guy on a drive who had done it. He said he trimmed some tabs off and just used brute strength to force it in. Then he had to put in some washers for the hood latch to lower it enough to latch. The part that concerns me is jamming it in. Can this hurt something? Like the paint? Anyway it did look good though. If anybody has done it, I'd love to know too.
Old 04-25-2007, 07:48 AM
Pantera72
4th Gear Member

You guys do know that lots of aftermarket grills are madefor the v6 stang that fiit directly in, unlike the GT grill. Why jerryrig your stang when you can do it right?
Old 04-25-2007, 01:35 PM
afixer
5th Gear Member

you basicly are streching your plastic bumper cover to fit in the opening. some even cut small relief cuts in the bumper to make it fit. one would only think that after time the cuts would run . yea thats good. also no matter how good you are in installing it it will have a slight over hang on the lower front center. like a hair lip. its taller and wider than the v6 grill somethings gota give . lastlly you remove the lower tabs on the so it just hangs there some have drilled holes and installed pins. oh yea almost forgot. dont plan on useing the fogs due to the fact that they only have up and down adjustment, when you flex the grill in it make the lights point out slightly. so in the end like he said why? in the begining before we had choices many did this. some were happy with the hairlip look , i wasent one of them thankfully the aftermarket caught up with us and we now have choices . one of our vendors i think v6 has most of them. i was lucky to be close to street scene and they used my car for both the mech grill and now the OEM look center grill i now have. plus there are alot of pony grills out there as well. keep craming big things between you and your wife. i have a nice write up in the aperance mods section on the center light kit. good luck with your choice. its not cheap depending on what you go with but anything good rarely is. remember you will need a harness,two lights and the grill. the lights con be found for around 40 bucks each harness for 80 and the grill from 160 to 300 depending. plus if you go with the mesh one you will want to spend another 80 for the matching lower one.
Old 04-25-2007, 11:10 PM
v6VenoM
3rd Gear Member

When I had my 05 6 I bought a GT grille because they had not put out the V6 one yet, my strong recommendation is to get the one that is made for the V6 or just buy a GT bumper. It does take brute strength force, cutting sum tabs and it is hard to get to the hood latch, not to mention it sits a little higher and looks a little awkward when you get up close to it.
Old 04-26-2007, 03:41 PM
FastLane034
3rd Gear Member

anyone interested in a complete GT grill/bumper install pm me, I am selling mine... bumper is black
Old 04-26-2007, 03:48 PM
jaded seconds
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JimStang

Okay, I know the GT grill won't fit the V6 without some modifications, but I've never seen the details or a write up on exactly what has to be modded to make it fit.

Anyone have a link to some details about what needs to be trimmed/altered/hacked to get a GT grill to fit a V6?

off topic, by the looks in your sig you've got upgraded tires on the stock 16's. can you tell me what tires you put on and the specs? you can PM me the info to keep this thread on topic.
Old 04-26-2007, 11:54 PM
JimStang

ORIGINAL: jaded seconds

off topic, by the looks in your sig you've got upgraded tires on the stock 16's. can you tell me what tires you put on and the specs? you can PM me the info to keep this thread on topic.
Those are the tires that were on it when I bought it used, so don't have the specs handy. I can look at the tires and try to get the info if you're interested.