Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Getting a mustang

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 10:49 PM
HRS PWR

Default Getting a mustang

Hey there. I am brand new here and just getting a V6 mustang. At first I planned to get a GT but things have changed now. I have a few questions that I would like to know if you guys could help me out:

1) I want to get the dual exhaust mod. What is necessary to do this?

2) The mustang I am looking at is a Black V6 with Beige/black interior. I was thinkign about installed dark red racing stripes and paint the calipers dark red. What do you guys think about this? I want it to all flow nicely.

3) Once I enable the Dual exhaust possibilites, what do you guys think sounds the best in terms of the exhaust? I want something that has a nice, low tone that is consistent. I do not want something overly loud or too quiet. I want it medium/high sound with a low tone that sounds consistent ( do not want the choking up sound).

4) Also, I know I need a GT grill to get the dual exhuast. Is there anywhere I can get this pre-painted? Can I get a full GT kit as well or would this not fit on a v6?

5) Lastly, Just out of curiousity, do you think a 2005-07 V6 AT Mustang would beat out a 04-07 AT RX8?

Thanks Guys! I look forward to being a member here
Old 04-27-2007, 11:06 PM
NewtoStangs
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Getting a mustang

Congrats on your new Stang, here is a link from another post that goes to ebay and hasgt rear bumbers on it looks like you can get the color you want.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OEM-F...09967461QQrdZ1
Old 04-27-2007, 11:10 PM
Ken Rogers
3rd Gear Member

Think hard about whether or not you would prefer a GT. I mean, the V6 is awesome. It getsbetter mileage, has cheaper insurance andlower monthly payments. But if there's any chance of it being "not enough car", then bite the bullet and get the GT. Regardless, you're going to really love the car, and I think that's well agreed on both the 4.0 and 4.6 forums.

Anyway, back to your question. I have no idea. I'vebragged enough about my single GT exhaust, so I wont do it again here. Hopefully others can answer your question.

Ken
Old 04-27-2007, 11:11 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

I like the idea of the red stripes.. I've been thinking about that too. Either dark red or a deep silver color.
GT takeoffs (mufflers from a GT) sound great in a dual set-up.. and you can get a pair for a little over $80. The entire dual set-up will cost around $300 if I remember correctly.
You do not need a GT rear bumper for duals, you can cut the notch for the bumper. Others have done this.. and, in my personal opinion, a v6 bumper with duals looks better than the GT bumper... more "old school"...
Old 04-27-2007, 11:12 PM
johnnyv8
4th Gear Member

imo; you should just save up and buy a gt. If you want a clone; your going to need a rear and front bumper; dual exhuast; fog lights; rims/tires, etc. Plus a clone gt kinda umm, not kool. but thats just what i think; good luck and im sure your going to enjoy the car.
Old 04-27-2007, 11:45 PM
jaded seconds
3rd Gear Member

you'll be happy with either one you get. i love my mustang =D

answers to your questions

1.) go to a muffler shop and they'll fix something up for you. it's anywhere between $350 - $450. if you bring your own mufflers, such as the gt take off mufflers it'll be a little bit cheaper.

2.) i think that'll look good.

3.) i like my flowmaster. not to loud, not to soft.

4.) you mean gt rear bumper? i believe v6mustangstuff.com has them pre painted. and they have alot of take off parts.

5.) AT!? get a manual dude. lol jk. get whatever you want. but it'd be agood race. the mustang has alot more torque than the automatic rx-8.
Old 04-28-2007, 12:22 AM
Dennis074.0
3rd Gear Member

I have a single flowmaster american thunder exhaust, and its wonderful, Its loud when you first start the car up, then mellows out but keeps a deep growl, then once you give it gas it screams at you, and yells when you get on her.

I give the flow AT mufflers a 2 thumbs up, and wouldnt trade them for the world.

You would need an X pipe, and 2 mufflers for dual exhaust. I think the red all round would look nice, and you dont need the GT rear fascia, you could cut out a piece of the bumper for the tail pipe.

You could probably whip an RX8, but if I were you Id get a cold air intaake, with an Xcal2 tune, 3:73, and T-Lok LSD's. then you could probably run with a couple stock GT's and 5.0's, all for about 1 grand.
Old 04-28-2007, 09:52 AM
NewtoStangs
1st Gear Member

I pick up GT takeoff mufflers today and can't wait to hear the difference, do you notice any difference in performance?

Old 04-28-2007, 04:25 PM
HurricaneStang
4th Gear Member

Why does everyone hate on Automatics? They are basically just as fast as manuals.

Pypes exhaust system, $360 shipped, good sound. Wouldnt worry about all the GT acessaries if your getting a v6. I started with the v6 and i got my couple mods, the intake the tuner and the dual exhaust with GT rear bumper. Well now im gettin the GT so now i gotta try to resell the parts off of it. If you think you may get a GT just save the time and get it so you dont mod your car like me and end up trying to sell everything off it lol.
Old 04-28-2007, 05:13 PM
HRS PWR

Default Re: Getting a mustang

Thanks for all of the help guys! As for making a clone gt, that is not at all what I am doing. I asked about the kit because I wanted to see if I could put aftermarket GT kits on the V6. I am getting the V6 for insurance reasons and just want the sound and look of the dual exhausts that are available for the GT. And where I live the AT is just more practical and easier for me. What I'm thinking now is the black with dark red stripes, beige interior, black polished rims + polished lip, some type of springs for lowering the car?, and I am still not sure on what to do exhaust wise. Anyone know some where in Michigan that that is reputable with Mustangs and can set me up with a dual exhaust?

And I am still up for any suggestions on a body kit as well. I may just keep stock on the body but I am interested at looking at any kits that are not too gaudy.

Oh and for all the football fans out there, I can't believe Brady Quinn is still available!!

Quick Reply: Getting a mustang