Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

How do i Launch!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 10:58 PM
SilversurferV6
2nd Gear Member

Default How do i Launch!!!

This may be a dumb question but what is the best way to launch besides just flooring it in an automatic mustang just wondering if there is another way. Im hittin the track this friday and need to know asap

Thanks ahead
Billy
Old 04-30-2007, 11:22 PM
jaded seconds
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: How do i Launch!!!

i had a number of cars and launching comes with practice and either dropping the clutch and flooring it at a certain rpm, or fluttering it in order to avoid wheel hop.

i've only owned one auto car, so i'm not to familiar with the manumatic shifter. anyways,i believe you've got to stick it into neutral and center the rpms at around 3k (pretty sure that would be a good place to center the rpms at) flick it into first and floor it, the nanosecond wheel hop happens flutter off it a bit. and just practice. 0 wheel hop, the right amount of throttle,and the correct rpm at launch.

practice. just make sure there are no cops around lol. i got a nasty ticket once for practicing my launches.
Old 04-30-2007, 11:26 PM
tyzorg
I ♥ Acer

No. if you have a auto dont do that.. (sorry jaded, dont get pissed, lol)

what you SHOULD do. is put it in first, then press the brake and hit the gas till it starts to barely move then lower the rpms so it doesnt, thats what you want to always torque break it at.. then quickly release the brake and floor it. there you go =)... oh yeah, make sure you shift into second after redlining, then 3rd, etc.
Old 04-30-2007, 11:39 PM
mdlesk
3rd Gear Member

Also a SCT X-Cal II will do wonders for the automatic.
Old 04-30-2007, 11:50 PM
BlkSunshine77
2nd Gear Member

I used to rev it up gas and brake (with my auto) up to around 2k rpms, then floor it to get decent acceleration..
Now that I have a CAI and Xcal2 91 tune, I can't do that without a really nice smoke show for all of 1st gear and a hard shift into 2nd.
I just simply floor it now and the car spins a little bit, then hooks and rockets.
It shifts just at the start of the red line to, so no need to manual shift it.
The B Ama 91 tune for Autos ROCKS!!
Totally different car now. The way ford should have made them.

And neutral dropping an auto is NOT a good idea.

Old 04-30-2007, 11:59 PM
jaded seconds
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: tyzorg

No. if you have a auto dont do that.. (sorry jaded, dont get pissed, lol)

what you SHOULD do. is put it in first, then press the brake and hit the gas till it starts to barely move then lower the rpms so it doesnt, thats what you want to always torque break it at.. then quickly release the brake and floor it. there you go =)... oh yeah, make sure you shift into second after redlining, then 3rd, etc.
lol, ya like i said i'm not an auto expert.my first car was an auto, only had that for 6 months after i got a manual. at age 15 i practiced ona van w/ my learners.it's been 3 manual cars sincethen and i'll never own an automatic.i'malmost 22now,and i'm proud to admit idon't know a freakingthing about the manumatic shifter or the proper technique to launch it.

manual ftw =P
Old 05-01-2007, 12:52 AM
SilversurferV6
2nd Gear Member

thanks guys im gna go with tyzorg's plan, ill post the times after, i have a pypes street pro axle back and aem brute force, wanna get under 15.5 for my goal....later
Old 05-01-2007, 01:14 AM
nonstopred
5th Gear Member

umm doing that in an auto will just toast your torque converter....not a good idea. Just think, when you have the engine spinning at 2000 rpms and the wheels cant spin, somethings got to give.....And the brake on an auto does disengage anything....so pretty much its a bad story. Thats why manuals rule
Old 05-01-2007, 01:23 AM
jaded seconds
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: nonstopred

umm doing that in an auto will just toast your torque converter....not a good idea. Just think, when you have the engine spinning at 2000 rpms and the wheels cant spin, somethings got to give.....And the brake on an auto does disengage anything....so pretty much its a bad story. Thats why manuals rule
loller.

Old 05-01-2007, 01:28 AM
nonstopred
5th Gear Member

hahah!!

Quick Reply: How do i Launch!!!