Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Gonna bite the bullet and get a supercharger.

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 03:19 PM
CroDalmatinac
4th Gear Member

Default Gonna bite the bullet and get a supercharger.

As my first mod to the car.

That's right, start right off the bat as the first mod.

What's the best to get and where to get it from?
Old 05-03-2007, 03:21 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Default RE: Gonna bite the bullet and get a supercharger.

The kit is just part of what you'll need depending on how complete the kit is and what your ultimate goal is.

A full kit should come with injectors, boost-a-pump or higher flow fuel pump, potentially a regulator, intercooler if your running more than 6-8 psi, if you're running over 6-8 you'll want to get forged internals for durability, hand held tuner, dyno time, new plugs, potentially upgrade your brakes, potentially upgrade your suspension.....
Old 05-03-2007, 04:36 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

in other words.....potentially upgrade your bank account !!
Old 05-03-2007, 04:38 PM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

Personally, I feel that the best kit is the Vortech Intercooled 10psi kit (this is how I feel, others will probably feel different). It seems to be the most reliable, and according to the tuners comes with a very safe canned tune if you dont plan to get a custom tune. TRYMY4.0 actually lost 4 engines to the canned Procharger tune, so if you dont plan on getting a custom tune, dont do the Procharger. You can also take a look at the X charger, it has got pretty popular. They make some decent power, and because they are roots blowers, they are pretty fun. My only issue with them is that there is no possibility to intercool them right now, and when the intercooler kit comes out (yes it will be coming out) they will be very expencive and will require you to get a new hood.

As for where to get it, I would buy it from the shop that you are getting it set up in. If there is any manufacuring problem with the s/c, they will be able to take care of it. Also, it is always good to support local places. Their prices are usually the same as online places.
Old 05-03-2007, 04:56 PM
Jerseyfury2
4th Gear Member

get an x-charger or a turbo from PH
Old 05-03-2007, 05:21 PM
tedBalog
2nd Gear Member

I personally like the roots style superchargers. Much less piping then a vortech or PH turbo.
Old 05-03-2007, 05:52 PM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

yeah, but to get an intercooled kit it will cost you more than $6k for the X charger [:'(]
Old 05-03-2007, 10:41 PM
8cd03gro
5th Gear Member

WAAAAAAAAAAAY more than 6k.

but i disagree with whoever said if you don't plan on getting a dyno tune, get the vortech. If you don't plan on getting a dyno tune, don't get forced induction. Sure it's pretty safe, but you are always a ****load safer with a dyno tune.
Old 05-03-2007, 11:02 PM
GrayPony
4th Gear Member

Why would you spend the money on the SCkit, install then cheap out andnot get custom tune ???
Old 05-04-2007, 12:00 AM
beaustang
5th Gear Member

Unfortunately this subject usually degenerates into a "my FI is better than your FI" debate and the person asking for advise is left with conflicting info. My advise would be to figure out what you want to do with your car; drag racer, road racer, street fun, etc.. Each form of FI has it's high and low points, if you are close to any members who have FI cars ask for a meet and get a ride. One of the members here from Nebraska was in So Cal a couple weeks ago and I met up with him and went for a cruise; I think it was a good way for him to experience the X Charger and form his own opinion.

Quick Reply: Gonna bite the bullet and get a supercharger.