Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Auto transmition, how is it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 02:50 AM
sdsguy
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Auto transmition, how is it?

ORIGINAL: Gloc

Hi all,
I been saving up and getting ready to buy a stang for my bday in Aug. The problem is that I can hardly find a used 5 speed, or a new one for that matter, that doesnt have some awful ext/int color or huge price. I seen ads for 19,999 for a new v6. Most I see listen at 23k.

I can drive stick but its still rather new to me and most people suggested not getting a new 5 speed because I would kill it.
I could probably get a stick shift from a friend to drive for a couple weeks before getting into the mustang though.

So I ask this, is the auto worth getting? Does anyone here drive an auto?
hey man, if you have the basics of driving a stick then you'll be fine. i had adriven a stick once prior to getting my car and there was a 2 year gap. my car's clutch runs fine and gears are great. if you want an auto, get one. but don't be afraid of ruining your tranny. these trannies are pretty hard to break.

it is hard to find 5 speeds. if you go to the C&L website, they sayd dealers request more automatic v6's cuz it tends to be more people buy auto v6 (girls and the wannabes) so it's tought finding a stick. but theyre hella cheaper. the auto option from ford is nearly 1000 bucks. more goes wrong with an auto than stick too.
Old 05-26-2007, 11:37 AM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sdsguy

ORIGINAL: Gloc

Hi all,
I been saving up and getting ready to buy a stang for my bday in Aug. The problem is that I can hardly find a used 5 speed, or a new one for that matter, that doesnt have some awful ext/int color or huge price. I seen ads for 19,999 for a new v6. Most I see listen at 23k.

I can drive stick but its still rather new to me and most people suggested not getting a new 5 speed because I would kill it.
I could probably get a stick shift from a friend to drive for a couple weeks before getting into the mustang though.

So I ask this, is the auto worth getting? Does anyone here drive an auto?
hey man, if you have the basics of driving a stick then you'll be fine. i had adriven a stick once prior to getting my car and there was a 2 year gap. my car's clutch runs fine and gears are great. if you want an auto, get one. but don't be afraid of ruining your tranny. these trannies are pretty hard to break.

it is hard to find 5 speeds. if you go to the C&L website, they sayd dealers request more automatic v6's cuz it tends to be more people buy auto v6 (girls and the wannabes) so it's tought finding a stick. but theyre hella cheaper. the auto option from ford is nearly 1000 bucks. more goes wrong with an auto than stick too.
It's true V6-5 speeds are hard to find. At my Ford Dealership they had "0" on the lot, but many V8 manuals. They called to their other dealership and they had one that just came in on a truck like I wanted. I told the salesmen, "Go get my car!"

I love my stick shift....sooooo much fun!
Old 05-27-2007, 02:03 PM
Gloc

I have 7 dealerships near me. I foundfive 5 speeds only. The prices seem to be in the 22-23k range. I did find one with a color I like. They seem to have ugly color combos left =/
Old 05-27-2007, 02:20 PM
sdsguy
3rd Gear Member

it shouldnt be 22k.
i got mine for under 20 as you see it in the pic. it's fully loaded too. leather, abs, trac control, shaker 500, all of it. talk to the dealers, they're going to want to sell.
Old 05-27-2007, 04:23 PM
Gloc

Ive seen ads for 19999. before. Not sure, I cant say I even have the 19k either. Hoping for a nice percent with parents cosigning and going from there. Trying to work on the 10k down atm
Old 05-27-2007, 05:38 PM
TheBlackPearl
2nd Gear Member

I like my auto, especially with a tune,

but if i could rewind time I would have gotten a stick.

Better yet I would have gotten a GT stick.

Don't get me wrong though, I LOVE my auto 6er.
Old 05-27-2007, 05:57 PM
sjp3003

Your dealer should work with you to find a stick if that's what you want. I just bought a '07 stick with the Pony and Perforance Packages. The dealer didn't have on on the lot but he found one at a dealer about 80 miles away & got it for me at no charge. BTW you can search dealer inventories online through Ford's site.

In terms of auto versus manual the choice really depends on the driving you will do and your personal preferences. If you will do much city stop and go driving in heavy traffic, auto may be the way to go. If you think you will do spiriteddriving on curvy or mountain roads, doing track circuits with curves or(and not drag racing), and want to be more involved with your driving experience, then you'll probably appreciate the stick more.

Steve
Old 05-28-2007, 06:10 AM
HurricaneStang
4th Gear Member

The Auto's are basically as fast as the manuals for the 6 banger 05-07 Mustangs. Auto or manual is up to you but the Auto's are really nice. They are a couple 1/10's of a second slower then the manuals in 0-60mph times.

Like they said already if you do get the auto make sure you get a custom tuned SCTII for it, even get the air intake combo. Auto's are so much more better after you tune them. Its a small investment for what you gain.
Old 05-28-2007, 01:26 PM
finch00
2nd Gear Member

this was my first stick shift car and i love it... I would definityl get the stick over auto espcally in the V6. at the very least it seems more macho ... not that there is anything wrong with auto it is ezier but stick is just more fun!

Old 05-28-2007, 04:00 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

I've been happy with my auto so far.

Quick Reply: Auto transmition, how is it?