Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Auto transmition, how is it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 05:33 PM
Gloc

Default Auto transmition, how is it?

Hi all,
I been saving up and getting ready to buy a stang for my bday in Aug. The problem is that I can hardly find a used 5 speed, or a new one for that matter, that doesnt have some awfulext/int color or huge price. I seen ads for 19,999 for a new v6. Most I see listen at 23k.

I can drive stick but its still rather new to me and most people suggested not getting a new 5 speed because I would kill it.
Icould probably get a stick shift from a friend to drive for a couple weeks before getting into the mustang though.

So I ask this, is the auto worth getting? Does anyone here drive an auto?
Old 05-25-2007, 05:54 PM
Justin_R
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Auto transmition, how is it?

Its really all up to your personal preference the new autos are awesome especially if you get a new tune.
Old 05-25-2007, 05:54 PM
alm0stfamousstang

yes i have an auto and i love it. if u have an auto you can get a xcal2 with a tune from alternative auto which makes you car shift like a 5speed, but u dont need to do the work. and auto is alot less maintaince. you dont have to replace clutch. and its hard to talk on phone or eat and drive with a 5 speed.
Old 05-25-2007, 05:59 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Stick isn't that hard. If you learn on another car you should be fine. It's like riding a bike......fall down a lot on your friends bike and then get your own.
Seriously when I first learned how to drive stick ( waaaay back in 1980 on my boyfriends new Champ) it didn't take me long... he trusted me not to screw up his car.
Autos are nice if you are in stop and go traffic a lot, but they are more expensive unless you can find a great deal. I've been seeingcommercials advertising the 2007 Pony Package for free. It's kind of neat to see your car on TV.
Old 05-25-2007, 06:38 PM
Gloc

I was mainly worried that I would be missing out by not getting a 5 speed. It just seems so hard to find a 5 speed, out of the 5 dealers near here, there are about 3 5speeds available.
Old 05-25-2007, 06:43 PM
Gloc

If I get an auto, Ill be sure to grab that. Thank you for the info =D
Old 05-25-2007, 06:45 PM
scrming
5th Gear Member

love my automatic... Thanks to Lidio at Alternative Auto I have it customized to my style of driving and it's setup for my HP level... it's great!
Old 05-25-2007, 07:21 PM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

I have an 2005 vert with 4.0L/auto and a 2006 coupe with 4.0L/5spd. Even comparing the coupe to the vert when it had a tune & CAI, the 5 pseed is more fun to drive. Don't get me wrong, the shifts on an auto that hasa good tune make it fun to drive, and the two fastest NA 4.0L's are autos (sorry fazm, but you've gone turbo). It's all a matter of personal preference...
Old 05-25-2007, 08:54 PM
Gloc

Oh I dont know. But I guess getting an auto wont be the end of the world
Old 05-26-2007, 02:27 AM
metalmat

I own a 05 V6 Vert Auto. It has its ups and downs:

Ups: Traffic sucks with a manual, easy to multitask (like I do all the time for my job), dont have to worry about missing a gear.

Downs: Not as fun to drive, worse gas mileage

Personally, unless you plan on making the car super fast get an auto. If I got a V8 I would get a manual, but my car is not super fast(only upgrade I have is a CAI) but I love it.

Also, if I ever get the urge to drive a manual I have my old 5 speed 93 accord lol.

Quick Reply: Auto transmition, how is it?