Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Any way to get paint overspray off a vinyl top?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 03:22 PM
wwsatando

Default Any way to get paint overspray off a vinyl top?

I recently had my convertible painted with a couple of stripes. They look great, BUT... he got overspray on the top. He said if needed, he would replace the top but asked if I knew of a way to remove the paint? He said he would check and asked if I could do the same before we decided we had to replace it. Just figured I'd ask here real quick, simply because he's a nice guy and I'll try to help him out first if it's possible. Thanks -

Zack
Old 06-19-2007, 05:36 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Any way to get paint overspray off a vinyl top?

Would a claybar work on vinyl? Might be worth a try.

ORIGINAL: wwsatando

I recently had my convertible painted with a couple of stripes. They look great, BUT... he got overspray on the top. He said if needed, he would replace the top but asked if I knew of a way to remove the paint? He said he would check and asked if I could do the same before we decided we had to replace it. Just figured I'd ask here real quick, simply because he's a nice guy and I'll try to help him out first if it's possible. Thanks -

Zack
Old 06-19-2007, 06:48 PM
Charlie321
2nd Gear Member

Yep. I was thinking clay bar too. Most manufacturers say they can be used for overspray, and I know a lot of people use them on windows, so maybe they'll work on vinyl too. Worth a try.
Old 06-19-2007, 07:40 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

I don't know about removing paint, but here's a helpful link with tips on keeping it looking nice;

http://www.carcareonline.com/viewarticle.aspx?art=3

Old 06-19-2007, 09:16 PM
damquick1
2nd Gear Member

claybar will just grind into the vinyl, there was a vinyl top cleaner made by 3M at one time...I think it was called restore or something like that...I'd check with a paint shop and see, or check out your local detail shop they may be able to help.
Here is some info I found: http://www.properautocare.com/ragclean.html
Old 06-20-2007, 03:24 AM
Charlie321
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: damquick1

claybar will just grind into the vinyl...
I doubt that's true, but yes, the RaggTopp product is very good. I don't know if it's good enough to get paint out, but it certainly won't hurt.
Old 06-21-2007, 12:13 PM
wwsatando

Hey folks,

I truly appreciate all of the responses. I also considered clay bar, but when I was doing a search on the net it said to try to avoid cleaners /removers that may create build-up because of the weave in the vinyl, thus I figured clay bar would be in this category. I've tried a cleaner I have that has been good to me to this point, but it didn't work. I guess I never thought about calling a detailer to see if they have any solutions. The guy who painted it would surely cover the cost if it's fair, so I guess I'll give that a try. Thanks again for all of the response. Have a good weekend,

Z
Old 06-21-2007, 05:35 PM
wyldwmn65
2nd Gear Member

This may sound odd, but have you tried plain old soap and water. Years back I had a VW cabriolet with a vinyl top and the car was vandalized with spray paint, I used a light scrub brush and soap and water and most came off. I was taking forest green off a white top. Hope that helps. WD- 40 has always been good too. I think I used that first and followed with soap and water.
Old 06-21-2007, 06:16 PM
wwsatando

Excuse my poor humor, but "odd" would be to ask me if I had tried urinating on it I tried regular a few kinds of soaps I found that were recommended for use with the top, but to no avail. Never heard of the WD40 idea, but ya never know. If in the end we're going to replace the top if we can't get it off, we may as well try everything first. I couldn't find the number of the detailer we use yet, but the wife has it on her phone and will give it to me when I get home. If all else fails, WD40 it is!!!
Old 06-21-2007, 06:22 PM
Dwisforme05
5th Gear Member

im not sure but mayb paint thinner? i dont know how that will affect the vinyl color. just puttin it out there

Quick Reply: Any way to get paint overspray off a vinyl top?