Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Question for all alloy owners...

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 04:03 AM
Mercury83
2nd Gear Member

Default Question for all alloy owners...

i really love the alloy metallic color, and a good family friend owns a paint/collision repair shop. anyway, he would only charge me 2k for a complete color change, and we've seen his work.....very very good and guaranteed for life. so in a couple months i am strongly contemplating repainting my 06 tungsten in alloy. this is where my question comes in. since he would be stripping the clearcoat and repainting anyway, he'd only charge $400 extra to paint stripes on. would you go with stripes? if so, what color? or would you rather go with none? i'm having trouble making up my mind, and any input would be appreciated!
Old 06-21-2007, 04:09 AM
TUGGER

Default RE: Question for all alloy owners...

I would go with no stripes but that's not to say they look bad, I think they look good too I just like the look of no stripes better.
Old 06-21-2007, 12:59 PM
pperin
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Mercury83

i really love the alloy metallic color, and a good family friend owns a paint/collision repair shop. anyway, he would only charge me 2k for a complete color change, and we've seen his work.....very very good and guaranteed for life. so in a couple months i am strongly contemplating repainting my 06 tungsten in alloy. this is where my question comes in. since he would be stripping the clearcoat and repainting anyway, he'd only charge $400 extra to paint stripes on. would you go with stripes? if so, what color? or would you rather go with none? i'm having trouble making up my mind, and any input would be appreciated!
IMO if your gonna sink that kind of cash into repainting you should make it somewaht unique so I think that at least stripes would work. I would accualy add something that no one else has on it.
Old 06-21-2007, 01:04 PM
VictoriaRR
4th Gear Member

But... Tungsten is the nicest color! Ah well. If it's what you really want then be extra sure and then go for it. I've only seen one Alloy Mustang with stripes and it had Tungsten stripes. So maybe he can just not paint two long sections that could be your stripes? lol
Old 06-21-2007, 01:14 PM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

ORIGINAL: pperin

IMO if your gonna sink that kind of cash into repainting you should make it somewaht unique so I think that at least stripes would work. I would accualy add something that no one else has on it.
I was thinking the same thing. If you're going through the trouble and expense of repainting the entire car, then why limit yourself by repainting it in another Mustang color. Pick a different color entirely that Ford has never offered on our cars - then you'll really stand out!
Old 06-21-2007, 03:18 PM
Mercury83
2nd Gear Member

well, i have thought about that (and i don't consider 2k a ton of trouble or expense as i'd use my student loan overage to pay for it), but what color should i paint it? i like metallic greys (minus weird/annoying hues). any ideas?
Old 06-21-2007, 03:58 PM
Mercury83
2nd Gear Member

plus i do really like the alloy color. thats part of the motivation for repainting...
Old 06-21-2007, 04:09 PM
rmays06
5th Gear Member

i'm having trouble making up my mind, and any input would be appreciated!
WHY! Would you spend $2K to repaint the car? If he is charging you that I'd go exotic but not light black or Alloy as ford calls it.
Trade it in and take the $2K hit for a brand new one of the lot......

[sm=dontgetit.gif]It seems to me you were worried about the cost of gas not so long ago, now your dropping money to repaint your ride......[sm=chairshot.gif][sm=signs003.gif]
Old 06-21-2007, 04:43 PM
Mercury83
2nd Gear Member

well my first thought was to try trading it in.....but i'd have to come up with near seven thousand dollars to get my payments anywhere near where they are now. i'd be using part of the overage on my student loans (granted, i'd have to pay it back several years down the road, but i would anyway). i mean, its not set in stone that i'm going to repaint either. i'm curious to see what kind of end of year clearance incentives ford offers this year.

in terms of color, like i said, i am looking for a slick, sweet metallic grey (without the purple hue....i'm a little ocd and its all i see now. its driving me crazy!), even a darker grey if its possible.have you seen any really sweet shades of metallic grey on any exotic cars or anything that would look awesome? any help would be appreciated. i'm just exploring all my options.
Old 06-21-2007, 11:21 PM
jjjmm49
2nd Gear Member

I do alot of custom painting if you want somthing differant 2 tone it paint the top alloy with your stock color from the fender line down then a nice third color pinstripe to seperate the colors.Do a search of some sema mustangs theres a few 2 tones there.

Quick Reply: Question for all alloy owners...