Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Please help clarify Flowmaster break-in. sound sucks now!

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 12:57 AM
ezell504
1st Gear Member

Default Please help clarify Flowmaster break-in. sound sucks now!

OK! I am a little aggrevated because I spent 130 dollars on two flowmaster super 40 series mufflers( same as A/T just another name and price) and they sound deep and loud but only when i cruise or take off. they flatten out when i step on them and you can barely hear them! I have the dual set up with a custom H-Pipe and tubing. Its a custom cat back all together. I spent a total of $432.00 on mufflers and labor and all i got was a dunbuggy sound and i wanted the rumble. Should i keep hope alive or just rip them off and sell them? How much effect does this so called "break-in" period have and will they eventually rumble out? Is there something specific i can do to speed up the break in process. I guess im asking do's and dont's and maybe a little positive advice.
Old 07-11-2007, 01:54 AM
NickSezz
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Please help clarify Flowmaster break-in. sound sucks now!

Usually mufflers get quieter as they break in and sort of mellow out. What diameter piping did the shop use to make the custom tubing? If the piping is too thin or bent wrong that can choke the flow of exhaust and it will not sound or perform as well. Make sure that the cat back work is quality before you blame the axle backs.
Old 07-11-2007, 02:22 AM
ezell504
1st Gear Member

Dude i have no idea. all i know is the piping is 2 1/4. straight pipes, over the axle and into the flows. They are deep as hell but not loud enough as far as rumble. i have the H-Pipe in the middle. I'm thinking i should have went with original 40's and the h pipe or the super 40's and no h pipe. Can anybody explain to me exactly what is "DRONE?" My mufflers produce so much bass its deafining
Old 07-11-2007, 02:32 AM
8cd03gro
5th Gear Member

that is drone. it is probably really loud outside the car, but you are only hearing the low tones.
Old 07-11-2007, 02:59 AM
ezell504
1st Gear Member

how do i fix that and make them rumble are will it go away?
Old 07-11-2007, 08:03 AM
SOHCman
4th Gear Member

Pretty much what you got, you got...

The change in tone is not that great.

My Pypes Street Pros make your ears bleed between 70-85 if you are on a long trip.60-70 on the highway or above 85 they are nice and quiet.

I keep varying the throttle position to minimize the drone you get at a steady speed.

I keep thinking of changing them to something quieter, but when I hear GT owners say "That's a six?", Idecide to keep them.

LOL

SOHC
Old 07-11-2007, 11:13 AM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

maybe some are expecting a little TOO much from their mufflers. its said over and over again that it is just a sixer so you can only get so much. loud and obnoxious is probably only accomplished WITHOUT any mufflers. maybe its just me but i love the sound from my set up. steady and aggressive growl. to me its appropriate for a V6. no rice on this plate.
Old 07-11-2007, 11:47 AM
Derek245

I'd like my Mustang to sound like my truck, but I would have to put a 340 in it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhzlsXMPwG8
Old 07-11-2007, 12:36 PM
AmericanICON
3rd Gear Member

I don't think Flowmasters really "break in" like other mufflers. When a regular muffler "breaks in", usually what is being referred is that some of the fiberglass inside the muffler is burning out, and changing the tone. Flowmasters are filled with metal deflectors and chambers.. so how would that sound change over time?
In my opinion, any of the aggressive, performance mufflers can produce unpleasant sounds with the 4.0 engine. The MRT is a raspy, buzz box. Some guys have convinced themselves that it sounds "European".
Flows/Mags/MAC and JBAs tend to have that constant deeeep drone, without the "gurgle" or "blub..blub..blub" sound of a V8. Alot of these exhausts sound great at idle, and when the engine is colder. Once you're driving though, it's a different story.
If you keep your engine at a higher rpm, the 4.0 can sound rumbly, but at 2900 rpm and lower.. you'll hear the drone.
GT takeoffs work well. They sound nice under acceleration, and are quiet when cruising.

I know it's not what you want to hear.. I've tried 3 different mufflers, single and dual, and tried no mufflers at all, single and dual. I feel that there is not an exhaust set up available for us that makes this car sound anything like a V8.

..and sound alone is my big reason for wanting a GT.

EDIT--
I just want to clarify that I've heard some very nice sounding V6 exhaust set ups, but it's just not that Mustang V8 sound that most of us want. I don't want to offend anyone. My dual set up sounds good to me, but not V8 good.
Old 07-11-2007, 12:53 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

which is why its a V6, not a V8. seems like so many are desperate for the V8 sound and forget that their stang didn't come with a GT emblem on their ride. accept what you got, if not get a GT. i will someday....hehe.[8D]seems like dual exhaust h-pipe is as close as it will get.

Quick Reply: Please help clarify Flowmaster break-in. sound sucks now!