Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Did a 360 on the highway yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 06:04 PM
GstangT
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Did a 360 on the highway yesterday

100 yards??? wow.. that must've been crazy. slid far enough for a football field.. glad you're ok though.
Old 07-14-2007, 06:11 PM
drivingperson
1st Gear Member

yeah that does sound a little toofar actually. I slid for as far as it takes to come to a complete stop from 40 in the rain.
Old 07-14-2007, 08:43 PM
Derek245

You all are scaring me a little. I just got my Mustang, and I live in Oregon. It's the dry season now, but I have a long wet season to look forward to
Old 07-14-2007, 10:31 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

You should not have problems. Just be aware of the kind of car you are driving.. and if you are not experienced with a rear wheel drive car.. just take it easy.. and don't floor it when wet.. or shift/accelarate into turns when it's wet. The Pirellis that come with the Pony Package got me through an icy winter here in Saint Louis.

ORIGINAL: Derek245

You all are scaring me a little. I just got my Mustang, and I live in Oregon. It's the dry season now, but I have a long wet season to look forward to
Old 07-14-2007, 10:52 PM
alsoknownazg
3rd Gear Member

yea i got 33 thousand on my tires and they blow
Old 07-15-2007, 10:38 AM
dalbert
1st Gear Member

I slip/slide/lose traction every time it rains in my v6. I pulled out onto a main road from a dead stop onto traffic and the car just wouldn't move. Took me about 10 seconds to finally get up to a reasonable speed and the people behind me had to slam on their brakes. If it were dry I wouldnt have had a problem whatsoever. I wish I had ABS and traction control
Old 07-15-2007, 11:06 AM
PennState
6th Gear Member

glad ur ok..
Old 07-15-2007, 11:55 AM
Dwisforme05
5th Gear Member

as wierd as it sounds, if ur gonna drive in the rain let it rain for an hour before u do. when it first starts to rain is the worst time ever to go out, during that time the water pushes all the oils out of the ground and ontop of the pavement, which makes it more slick. if u give it some time to wash away you will be alot better off. i ditched the stock 16 tires and got some goodyear triple treads. they rock, great traction. now all i need are new rims! IMO the stock 16s are pretty ugly. not bad for a stock rim but still ugly
Old 07-15-2007, 11:07 PM
Creezy111

I am upgrading to 18's so I will soon have to let my Pirellis go; but let me tell you, that Pirelli is an excellent tire. I've only done one 360 in the car, on an on-ramp; but that's 'cause the tires weren't warm yet. Shortly after, on the soaked highway, I had to see what the car/tires could do: 110 in an inch of standing water and not the slightest hint of hydroplaning. I work for one of Pirelli's competitors.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:17 AM
p51mstg
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: andrews0915

One time I was driving home in the rain, wasat a red light and I turn right, then proceed to slowly accelerate up to about 20 (in second gear at that point) and as I round a slow curve to the left my *** starts to swing way out and I go about 50 feet down the road completely sideways. Luckily nobody was on the road. Plenty of other times when the road is wet and I am starting up after a red light or stop sign I loose traction, especially if Iam turning a bit as well. I have learned to accelerate very very slowly when it is wet out and even more so when I'm accelerating and turning. Can't wait for new tires.
My 86 GT was like that. I used to tell people that driving it in the snow was okay, once I understood that the back end always wants to be in front. My 07 hasn't been like that so far, but from what I've read, my Pirellis are a little better than the stock "V6" tires.

It seems like there are too many people jumping into Mustangs as their first rear-wheel drive car, and they're shocked when the back end comes around. Just remember, if the back end starts acting funny, it's telling you to slow down or prepare for your world to start spinning.

Quick Reply: Did a 360 on the highway yesterday