Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Rain Driving?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 10:48 AM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

Default Rain Driving?

What do u think are the best mods(Tires taller/wider, suspension) to achieve better handling in the rain andsnow?

Thanks ahead of time, I'm tired of staying under 40mph in the rain!
Old 07-18-2007, 10:52 AM
Timeyer

Default RE: Rain Driving?

You should be able to drive the posted speed limits in the rain. 55 and 65 isn't too fast if you can see the road and keep the cruise control off. Stock Pirellis or BFGs should work just fine.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:04 AM
Erdrickk
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Timeyer

You should be able to drive the posted speed limits in the rain. 55 and 65 isn't too fast if you can see the road and keep the cruise control off. Stock Pirellis or BFGs should work just fine.
He didnt ask if he could drive on stock tires in the rain....That is a given. He asked...

---------------------------------------

What do u think are the best mods(Tires taller/wider, suspension) to achieve better handling in the rain andsnow?

-----------------------------------------------

Note my Highlighted section....

IMO Wider tires can be more dangerous for rain because it is more surface area that can cause you to drift easier...Unless you get nice super high quality tires that push the rain out to the side efficently but they can be $$$$$

I would say if you live in a snow / rainy climate its worth the money to spend on some super high end snow tires.....

Old 07-18-2007, 11:12 AM
Timeyer

Unless he's road racing, a stock setup should be fine for rain. Snow is a different story. Yes, taller and skinnier would work better. However, I think if rain is the only adverse weather the poster is worried about, more attentive driving should suffice.

If he's driving 35-40 mph on the highway or interstate in the rain, someone should point out how dangerous that is to other drivers.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:49 AM
Erdrickk
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Timeyer

Unless he's road racing, a stock setup should be fine for rain. Snow is a different story. Yes, taller and skinnier would work better. However, I think if rain is the only adverse weather the poster is worried about, more attentive driving should suffice.

If he's driving 35-40 mph on the highway or interstate in the rain, someone should point out how dangerous that is to other drivers.
x10000000000000000000000000000

I freak out when I am merging on to a highway and the car in front of me is merging at 30-40mph and all the cars he is merging in to are doing 80mph......I pace myself back and wait for an accident lol.....when the dumbass is all clear I gun it, give him the finger and speed off
Old 07-18-2007, 11:56 AM
SOHCman
4th Gear Member

SteelStang has a 2005 V6 Mustang.

They come stock with BFG Traction TA/Spec radials.

They are terrible in the rain. Worse in the snow.

I have a 190 mile commute every day and on the highway they are really bad in the rain. Snow is just downright scary... and they are classified as "all season".... BS

ANY amount of standing water will cause you to hydroplane even at 50MPH.

I am on my second set (53,000 miles) and I will be getting rid of these next year.

I will be looking for rain tires as well...

SOHC
Old 07-18-2007, 12:18 PM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

Thanx for the info so after I switch to a better brand Drag Radial that's the same size, I should be able to do 50 in the rain fine? Also, do u think subframe connectors or rear upper and lower control arms would help with traction in the rain? Ideas about a T-Lok?

Thanks ahead of time!
Old 07-18-2007, 12:22 PM
SOHCman
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SteelStang05

Hi SteelStang,

I feel your pain.

I've got a 2006 with the same BFG tires.

I added a T-LOK differential for power to BOTH wheels.

Rain, get some tires with deep grooves that will channel water away to the OUTSIDE of the tires. Directional tread would also help with this.

TireRack.com has a bunch of decent articles on tires, one is on Hydroplaning...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=16

Wintertime I'm getting snow tires (wanted to get a set of knobbys like the wife has on her truck but they don't make em in 16s).

Add a few bags of play sand in the trunk for extra traction.

Remember, this will also throw off your cars balance slightly in the snow as adding 100-150 pounds in the @ss will make it want to keep going....

SOHC
Old 07-18-2007, 01:52 PM
Wickerbill
3rd Gear Member

My question is, unless its a DD, who wants their Pony in the rain and snow. I have had my Pony for 1 year now and ithas never seen any rain! I have other vehicles for my DD, but i realize others may have to get their pride and joy nasty sometimes. If you go for a tire with a high tread wear, 540 is best ive seen on a sport tire, you will get better performance in rain/snow. The softer the tire the more likely to hydroplane or slide.
Old 07-18-2007, 02:16 PM
p51mstg
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Wickerbill

My question is, unless its a DD, who wants their Pony in the rain and snow. I have had my Pony for 1 year now and ithas never seen any rain! I have other vehicles for my DD, but i realize others may have to get their pride and joy nasty sometimes. If you go for a tire with a high tread wear, 540 is best ive seen on a sport tire, you will get better performance in rain/snow. The softer the tire the more likely to hydroplane or slide.
I'd say tires are probably the biggest key to traction in the rain, and if I were the OP, I'd be shopping for a new set of tires. Lower wear ratings are worse in the rain????? I don't get that - would expect it to be the opposite, if there's any link at all.

My Mustang was intended to be my daily driver, and it is. We do tend to have one or two snowstorms a year that would prevent me from going to work, but I considered that a GOOD thing. As far as rain, I haven't had too many problems with the Pirellis on the Pony Package. After SOHC's horror stories, I feel lucky!

Quick Reply: Rain Driving?