Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

4.0 Engine and the possibilities...

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 05:24 PM
petepete
5th Gear Member

Default RE: 4.0 Engine and the possibilities...

Unless your willing to put alot of man hours in and spending alot of money id just get the gt. Because gts with cai tune gears and exhaust make around the same power as a supercharged v6. Just my opinion unless you want to have a car that you can say you just got beat by a v6 mustang which is why i keep mine
Old 07-20-2007, 05:27 PM
azstanglover
2nd Gear Member

Based on some of the comments you've made you shouldn't trade your car in for a GT. If you are unsure about being able to make the payments or wether it's justified or not then it's just not a good idea.

If you were sure about being able to make the payments then that would be one thing. Also we can't justify your purchases for you. That is something you have to do on your own. After all, either you or your parents will be the ones making the payments. Don't let what anyone else would do push you into a direction that you normally wouldn't do.

Stay with the 6, you still have a long time to be able to get a GT. I'm sure Ford will be producing them for many years to come.
Old 07-20-2007, 06:50 PM
beaustang
5th Gear Member

There are no sixers running 9's or 10's in the quarter, or if there are they ain't street cars. The fastest street 6 I know of is Buckman; he is basically 11 flat in the quarter soon to break into the 10's. But if you want that knid of performance you are going to sacrifice dependability, something you are going to need in school. If you have to have 300+ HP get the GT, but while you are in school you'd be better off keeping the 6. IMO
ORIGINAL: 05Sixxer

Ya I know, I cant justify it myself either. I for some reason have this mentality that I need a V8 to have a nasty stang. When in reality there are sixxers running 9-10's or lower in the quarter. I just dont know at this point.

Edit- I could however wait till the 09 release when they push 400hp N/A
Old 07-20-2007, 07:08 PM
mignella254
2nd Gear Member

I would wait a year or two and save up.. you can't forget about the new camaro and challenger coming out. If you're considering a challenger you best get on the list now, i know a few guys already waiting for one. And also I hear the stang is getting a facelift.. check it out http://www.muscularmustangs.com/2006...ordmustang.php
Old 07-20-2007, 07:43 PM
NickSezz
4th Gear Member

Theres no rush man...This is how I look at it...We have really nice cars, GT or V6 it doesn't matter. I flat out own my car...Its a 2005 5-speed with 14,000 on her....I can sell that and put down money and get a really good deal on an 06 or 07 GT....but...I pay the insurance and that cost me 2400 a year right now and would be a lot more if it was a GT so thats out. I can't pay the insurance for the GT and im going to college this year...So I can wait...im lucky this is my first car and im just thankful for that. There will be plenty more cool rides in the future.

I have about 2k into my car so its just the way I like it now and im happy...it gets plenty of attention and I have a lot of fun with it...um..end of my story. Moral? whatever u can get from this...
Old 07-21-2007, 03:57 PM
cam2904
4th Gear Member

There is only one GT mustang I am waiting for and that is a Bullitt. Other than that I will keep my six.
Old 07-21-2007, 06:32 PM
07lane40
3rd Gear Member

now, someone can correct me if im wrong, but is a V8 conversion THAT expensive? as in, will it be as expensive as trading up on a GT? I too had the same offer on the board, but stuck with the 6 because of insurance, and a lighter nose means better handling, and i aim for more of a road racer for my car instead of a 9 or 10 second car. another reason i chose to stick with it, certain states dont require yearly vehicle checks (like Ohio) and so any modds you do to the car wont up your insurance, given you dont move.

So personally, if it were me, i'd stick to the six and mod it out, and later if you still want bigger power, do an engine swap. Thats my personal plan down the road, and if all goes well ill see a few different engines along the way.
Old 07-21-2007, 09:41 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

Both are great cars, its a tough road but you can build a DD 10 second V6.
Old 07-21-2007, 09:46 PM
05Sixxer
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: rygenstormlocke

Both are great cars, its a tough road but you can build a DD 10 second V6.
I know, I decided to keep my sixxer. I cant justify a whole other 27k bank note for 90 hp, badges and some body kit pieces. Plus I think its going to be fun having a sixxer modded. Just got my CAI/Xcal today, still waiting on emailed tunes/raining still. Next may be some shorty headers, underdrive pulleys, gears, Tlok, maybe dual exhaust I dont know. Once the warranty voids at 36k, im going to cam, Supercharge, and Nitrous myself up. Maybe forge the internals.
Old 07-22-2007, 09:27 AM
SkullE404
1st Gear Member

My 6 ran me 22,500. And at the time the dealer lot had most GT's at 30,000 and up.
So after everything is said and done your probably looking at 32,000. if you already have a V6, the upgrade isn't worth 6 to 10 thousand more for 2 more cylinders.

It will be worth it in a few years for the Boss though. [8D]

Quick Reply: 4.0 Engine and the possibilities...