Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

4.0 Engine and the possibilities...

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 02:05 PM
05Sixxer
2nd Gear Member

Default 4.0 Engine and the possibilities...

So atm im debating with myself whether or not I should just break down and trade my sixxer in for a GT, pretty much start from scratch on payments and have what I owe left on the amount or if I should just mod my sixxer to hell and back? The 4.0 gets alot of **** but man its a badass car, close to the GT but its on its own level of preformance. If I were to keep the 4.0 I would do the CAI from VMP along with a tune, some gears, tires, tlok, maybe some appearance stuff. And eventually break down and buy a turbocharger/supercharger. However if I were to get the GT its pretty much a whole new platform level to build off of...What do you guys think?
Old 07-20-2007, 02:28 PM
schapman
4th Gear Member

Default RE: 4.0 Engine and the possibilities...

if you dont want more that 450 hp then stay with the V6 and turbo charge it. If you want more get the GT but you will have to rebuild the engine and that willcost more. GT is only good for 450 hp with out and engine rebuild
Old 07-20-2007, 02:32 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

350 or so is plenty max power for me and based on members here on the forums, thats very possible with a 4.0. but if you want a GT anyways, go for it. that 4.6 engine is one of WARD's top 10 engines so can't go wrong with that at all [8D].
Old 07-20-2007, 02:36 PM
05Sixxer
2nd Gear Member

Ya, but when I think about it, im getting the same car just with a bigger engine and some appearance modifications, is it worth it? Just the bigger engine makes it all better But with college coming up I dunno if it would be wise or not
Old 07-20-2007, 02:47 PM
dmhines
5th Gear Member

It's hard to say without knowing anything about the value of your current Mustang and whether you are upside down or not on your loan. With the current deals on GT's I would definitely trade my V6 in if they would pay off my loan 100% ... but since I've only had the car less than one year and I put no money down ... there is no way that will happen. Personally I would rather spend $4K and supercharge my current V6 than spend a total of $12K or so for a new GT. $7K (cost of GT over V6) + $3K (amount to pay off my current car after trade) + $2K ( extra interest on the more expensive GT) .... Financially trading in a V6 for a GT is almost always a losing proposition ... But it's your money ... and if getting down the 1/4 mile about 1.5 seconds quicker is worth it to you .. go for it ....
Old 07-20-2007, 02:57 PM
05Sixxer
2nd Gear Member

Ya I know but I dont know what it is, but a modded V8 has that distinct American Muscle Sound ya know? Something that cant be replicated. I had always planned on upgrading from a Sixxer to a GT in a few years and its been 2. If I ever got one, I would keep it a good 6+ years but who knows I need to discuss it with my parents, see what they think. Im heading off to college so it might not be the wisest but who knows at this point
Old 07-20-2007, 03:08 PM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

ORIGINAL: 05Sixxer

Ya I know but I dont know what it is, but a modded V8 has that distinct American Muscle Sound ya know? Something that cant be replicated. I had always planned on upgrading from a Sixxer to a GT in a few years and its been 2. If I ever got one, I would keep it a good 6+ years but who knows I need to discuss it with my parents, see what they think. Im heading off to college so it might not be the wisest but who knows at this point
I too love the sound of a GT Mustang, but our 4.0L's have a GREAT, uniquesound with the right muffler(s).

Recently, I went and looked at a new 2007 Mustang GT, which was optioned very closely to my coupe (which is paid off). But I looked at the numbers, and it would cost me an add'l $10K to buy that GT. That doesn't even consider having to remove some of my modifications first that could be used on a GT (and others that I would lose because they are V6 specific). For me, it's not worth $10K to get a new Stang with two more cylinders. I'll keep my money thank you!
Old 07-20-2007, 03:16 PM
05Sixxer
2nd Gear Member

Ya I know, I cant justify it myself either. I for some reason have this mentality that I need a V8 to have a nasty stang. When in reality there are sixxers running 9-10's or lower in the quarter. I just dont know at this point.

Edit- I could however wait till the 09 release when they push 400hp N/A
Old 07-20-2007, 03:23 PM
acascianelli
5th Gear Member

Go test drive a GT, then decide for yourself. If you can test drive a Shelby GT do that instead, that will give you a good feeling on what a GT would feel like with an intake and tune. As stated above, GT is only good for about 450whp on the stock internals. Personally, if I had a sixxer and wanted to upgrade, I'd wait until 09 and make my decision.
Old 07-20-2007, 03:31 PM
05Sixxer
2nd Gear Member

Ive test drove one like 3 times

Quick Reply: 4.0 Engine and the possibilities...