Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

I had an accident today and my tire smushed in...HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 02:35 AM
ezell504
1st Gear Member

Default I had an accident today and my tire smushed in...HELP!

Ok, this guy tried to swith from lane to lane in traffic today and came to a sudden brake and hit the rear quarter panel of my car on the driver side. It exactly in te corner of the bumper but his car slid into mine and push my whole rear wheel inwards about 4 inches. it sits inside the finder instead of under it. I looked under the car and a black rod that reached from one rear wheel to the other was bent. this rod is about 1.5-2.5 inches thick. What is that called? Its right behind the rear axle. Is that a sway bar?
Old 07-25-2007, 02:50 AM
OIIIIO
4th Gear Member

Default RE: I had an accident today and my tire smushed in...HELP!

That sucks, dude.... sorry to hear that.As far as the bar, sounds like the sway bar to me.
Old 07-25-2007, 07:28 AM
S1ckStang
2nd Gear Member

do you have a pony package? theres alot more stuff wrong if your wheels are off now take it to a shop.
Old 07-25-2007, 08:45 AM
banka87
4th Gear Member

That sucks...Glad your OK
Old 07-25-2007, 09:39 AM
chsmith112
I ♥ Acer

The v6 doesn't have a rear sway bar. Unless it is the pony package I believe.
Old 07-25-2007, 10:15 AM
dotsonian
1st Gear Member

Take it in ASAP. With that much movement,there are a lot of things that could be messed up and on the verge of catastrophic failure.

As for the bent bar, it could also be the panhard bar and it is closer to the axle than the sway bar. It controls left/rightalignment of the axle.

You said one side is in a few inches, is the other side out just as much?
Old 07-25-2007, 10:27 AM
samuraidad
1st Gear Member

If he hit you he should have received a ticket or at least been shown at fault on the accident report. Deal with his insurance company directly. Depending on the impact there could be hidden damage and believe it or not what appears to be simple could cause the company to total the vehicle. Also make sure the company gets you as rental.

And they wounder and bitch when we write tickets for aggressive driving.

Good luck and hope it is not to bad and you are up and running soon.

[/align]
Old 07-25-2007, 06:22 PM
ezell504
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dotsonian

Take it in ASAP. With that much movement,there are a lot of things that could be messed up and on the verge of catastrophic failure.

As for the bent bar, it could also be the panhard bar and it is closer to the axle than the sway bar. It controls left/rightalignment of the axle.

No, the other side is the same, just that one wheel is in 3-4 inches. I had that bar straightened out today and the car drives fine. As if it were new. The guy didnt have insurance so i got his info and will contact him tomorrow. He was rushing to the hospital because his wife was in labor. I feel sorry for the guy. not that he hit me but because he will never forget that day.

As for all you Mustang Lovers, I thank you for the Love and support. I really appreciate it.
Old 07-25-2007, 08:02 PM
dotsonian
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ezell504

ORIGINAL: dotsonian

No, the other side is the same, just that one wheel is in 3-4 inches. I had that bar straightened out today and the car drives fine. As if it were new. The guy didnt have insurance so i got his info and will contact him tomorrow. He was rushing to the hospital because his wife was in labor. I feel sorry for the guy. not that he hit me but because he will never forget that day.

As for all you Mustang Lovers, I thank you for the Love and support. I really appreciate it.
That is normally a red flag that something is broke. With a solid axle, the wheels usually moveside to side simultaneously. Now if it moved up and in, you might not notice the other side movement. If you are going to run with it the way you have repaired it, you should at least havethe control armschecked.
Old 07-25-2007, 08:16 PM
takotruckin
2nd Gear Member

if he didn't have insurance, report his ***. you need all new suspension parts in the rear, axle included.

i hate the F***ers that dont have insurance, they are the scum of this earth.

Quick Reply: I had an accident today and my tire smushed in...HELP!