Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

exhaust installation question

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 08:38 PM
cmschlatt
2nd Gear Member

Default exhaust installation question

i was trying to take off my stock muffler and ran into a few issues. we couldnt see to get a few bolts off to take off one of the muffler hangers. can anyone tell me how to get them off? or how to take off the muffler easily. i got mufflers from a gt that im going to throw on there if i can get this off. pictures attached.

this one is just a side view to kinda show you where the hanger is

also there was another piece and we have no idea what it is.. it was attached to the muffler.. almost enclosed in the bumper and it feels like rubber. picture attached also.

Old 07-28-2007, 09:33 PM
davesyo
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: exhaust installation question

There are 3 hangers .Each one has 2 bolts 13 mm.The hardest bolt to get to is the bottom bolt on the rear the one just above the top of the muffler . I would loosen all the other bolts including the muffler clamp bolt first so you can get to it easier.The hanger on the muffler is welded to it . The gt mufflers do not have that hanger attached to it . The gt's bolt up with 2 hangers
Old 07-28-2007, 09:36 PM
alex0o85
2nd Gear Member

i just did this today!! davesyo is right. take out all the other onesfirst, then that lastbolt can be reached easier by moving the muffler to a more convenient position. Be warned though, putting that bolt back onis tough. the sound though....is soo worth it...
Old 07-28-2007, 09:43 PM
cmschlatt
2nd Gear Member

do i have to take the brackets off and then put them back on with the gt bumper hanging from it? or can i just slip the v6muffler out and slip the gt muffler in???? pics are appreciated!
thanks, chris
Old 07-28-2007, 09:59 PM
davesyo
2nd Gear Member

Not sure what you mean about the bumper but yes take the old muffler off and the gt slips right on .A direct bolt in .
Old 07-28-2007, 10:09 PM
cmschlatt
2nd Gear Member

haha. i meant mufflers. any idea what the rubber thing is i was talking about? (its the last pic i think)
Old 07-28-2007, 10:19 PM
davesyo
2nd Gear Member

If your talking about that round thing on the v6 muffler I think it's just for vibration but I think it's totally useless . The gt's don't have it . you have to take the brackets off
Old 07-28-2007, 10:20 PM
rls82959
3rd Gear Member

When I put mine on the tip was not in the center of the bumper cutout. Neighbor bent the rear rod on the muffler to center it. Great advise above on the brackets. You will like the sound.
Old 07-28-2007, 10:27 PM
davesyo
2nd Gear Member

Did you try to adjust the muffler to a different position where it goes on to the midpipe first before you bent the rod?
Old 07-28-2007, 10:29 PM
cmschlatt
2nd Gear Member

thanks for answering all my questions. to be honest, the only car parts ive installed before this is a cold air intake. hopefully i will get it tomorrow, cuz as it is, most of my nuts are off and my muffler is kinda just hanging there. lol.
chris

Quick Reply: exhaust installation question