Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

parent's concern

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 10:38 PM
cmschlatt
2nd Gear Member

Default parent's concern

my parents are concerned that if i put a gt takeoff muffler on my 2005 v6 mustang, it might somehow interfere with my catalytic converters. can somebody post something to clear this up for them?
thanks, chris
Old 07-30-2007, 10:42 PM
Erdrickk
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: parent's concern

ORIGINAL: cmschlatt

my parents are concerned that if i put a gt takeoff muffler on my 2005 v6 mustang, it might somehow interfere with my catalytic converters. can somebody post something to clear this up for them?
thanks, chris
as long as you modify anything after the cats it wont affect them or void the warrenty
Old 07-30-2007, 10:48 PM
cmschlatt
2nd Gear Member

thanks. im going to show this to them and hopefully they will get off my back.
Old 07-30-2007, 10:54 PM
PROMETHEUS PRIME
5th Gear Member

Thats correct. The mufflers will not effect emissions. And with GT mufflers you'll be well under the legal decibel limit.
Old 07-30-2007, 11:13 PM
AmericanICON
3rd Gear Member

You're going to show them the comment from the guy with the picture of two chicks kissing? If your parents have doubts... I'm sure that'll really convince them!! hahaaha..

Tell them there will be no problem because you're putting on another stock Ford muffler.
Old 07-30-2007, 11:25 PM
viperrmk
3rd Gear Member

You're going to show them the comment from the guy with the picture of two chicks kissing? If your parents have doubts... I'm sure that'll really convince them!! hahaaha..

Tell them there will be no problem because you're putting on another stock Ford muffler
lol i was thinking the something....but hey Erdrickk....AWESOME aviator[sm=icon_rock.gif]

And to the question. No changing the Axle-back will NOT void your warrenty.
Old 07-30-2007, 11:34 PM
Charlie321
2nd Gear Member

You can tell them that doing so will 1) reduce backpressure to the engine, thereby slightly increasing gas mileage and hp, 2) not void the warranty, and 3) not interfere with emissions because the muffler will remain downstream of the catalytic converter. It's an incredibly easy and cheap mod that will make the car sound and perform better than stock. I did it the day I brought my Mustang home from the dealer. First mod I've ever done and worth every penny.
Old 07-30-2007, 11:48 PM
cmschlatt
2nd Gear Member

my dad is so concerned because on the first car i had, a ford escape, the catilytic converters blew up or something. i got them fixed at a shop, but they blew up again! wtf??? so my dad doesnt want me taking any risks on this amazing car.
thanks for all the responses, chris
Old 07-31-2007, 07:37 AM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

You can also tell your parents that changing the axleback muffler is probably the #1 modification that people are doing to the 4.0L V6 Mustang. No one has ever posted about blowing their cats. I have GT take-offs on both my 4.0L's (one with a single, and one with duals). You and your parents will be happy with swapping in a GT take-off muffler. And this coming from a guy who doesn't need to show two chicks kissing in an attempt tolook cool or try to be funny.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:46 AM
Erdrickk
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 28HopUp

You can also tell your parents that changing the axleback muffler is probably the #1 modification that people are doing to the 4.0L V6 Mustang. No one has ever posted about blowing their cats. I have GT take-offs on both my 4.0L's (one with a single, and one with duals). You and your parents will be happy with swapping in a GT take-off muffler. And this coming from a guy who doesn't need to show two chicks kissing in an attempt tolook cool or try to be funny.

Quick Reply: parent's concern