Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Test Drove 05 GT 5speed

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 02:07 PM
tlpvt
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Test Drove 05 GT 5speed

that's kinda what I thought too when I was deciding between v6 and gt (both manual) - the gt is faster, feels/drives more "muscular", tranny shifts a little better, but the ~10k$ difference?, especially when paying cash as I did. at the time I decided v6 will be good enough for me.
Old 08-09-2007, 05:35 PM
Buckshot Barry
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: tlpvt

that's kinda what I thought too when I was deciding between v6 and gt (both manual) - the gt is faster, feels/drives more "muscular", tranny shifts a little better, but the ~10k$ difference?, especially when paying cash as I did. at the time I decided v6 will be good enough for me.
+1. And the Pony Package hasmore of the retro look I was wanting.

I test drove a '05 GT manual too.I was just wanting similar powerequal to my '70 302 2V Sports Roof and '88 5.0 GT.
Old 08-09-2007, 07:10 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

when i first bought my stang, i first test drove the GT then the v6 second. although i initially wanted the GT, i was very impressed with the v6. i felt the torque much more than i ever expected. keep note that when i was driving the GT and punched it, it pulled pretty damn strong all the way to the end which the v6 obviously couldn't compare to. in the end, money was the issue as it is with most things in life these days, and i happily chose the v6. i kinda understand what jude69 may be saying since his car is already modded and tuned, which closes the V6 to GT gap a little bit, and the test driven GT isn't. the performance diff isn't worth the money if the GT stays stock but who the hell would leave a GT stock? i sure wouldn't[8D]
Old 08-09-2007, 09:02 PM
jude69
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Sancho805

when i was driving the GT and punched it, it pulled pretty damn strong all the way to the end which the v6 obviously couldn't compare to. in the end, money was the issue as it is with most things in life these days, and i happily chose the v6. i kinda understand what jude69 may be saying since his car is already modded and tuned, which closes the V6 to GT gap a little bit, and the test driven GT isn't. the performance diff isn't worth the money if the GT stays stock but who the hell would leave a GT stock? i sure wouldn't[8D]
Couldn't have said it any better. You are right on.
Old 08-10-2007, 09:50 PM
slowhiteboy

I noticed the same thing. I havean 05 V6 manual Demolet CAI and Bama tunes (currently running the 93 Torque) and test drove a stock GT manual. I didn't notice that much of a difference in either sound or perf! I know there is a lot of difference butit wasn't apparent. Also what about the V6 muffler? How much HP does it restrict?
Old 08-10-2007, 10:01 PM
07lane40
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: DylanFan

Kinda the same thing happened to me the last time I took my car to the dealer for an oil change. He had a 2004 GT auto and a 2003 Roush auto on the lot for sale. First my wife and I took the Roush for a ride and then the GT. Neither of them impressed me very much. They just didn't seem that much faster than my V6 auto and that was before I got an x-cal 2 and SLT cai. But like you said it was a fun way to spend the time waiting for the oil change. Now I don't think I'd better take my car back to the dealer for an oil change because of the CAI and tune or would that matter to the dealer?
take it off and put the stock stuff back on just in case. if they find out and take note of it and you have a problem with the engine later, they can say you voided your factory warranty. and that aint good for your wallet.
Old 08-10-2007, 10:11 PM
05gtdriver
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: slowhiteboy

I noticed the same thing. I havean 05 V6 manual Demolet CAI and Bama tunes (currently running the 93 Torque) and test drove a stock GT manual. I didn't notice that much of a difference in either sound or perf! I know there is a lot of difference butit wasn't apparent. Also what about the V6 muffler? How much HP does it restrict?
Well, I must say that having driven both models(and having owned two differentS197 GTs), the V-6 "feels" strong because of the 4.0L's torque is produced much lower in the rpm range, but on an open road where 100mph is possible(not condoning this sort of behavior, just making a point), it's not a contest(even on a tuned V-6 vs a stock GT). The GT will pull to redline(6000rpm) and wants to do more, but the electronics stop all the fun. The V-6 feels like it's gasping for breath above 5000rpms and just makes noise at that stage. A well setup V-6 makes great sense for a younger driver(trust me, if I was in my early 20's, a V-6 would be parked in front of my house) because of bang for the buck(low 14's with a tune for $15-17K if shopping wisely? Can't beat that!) and friendly insurance rates.
The two cars are for their respective audiences(as is the GT500), and you can't go wrong going Mustang.
Old 08-11-2007, 02:23 AM
jaguarking11
2nd Gear Member

Well its funny, when I went to the dealership I test drove a loaded v6 and ended up buying the gt instead. The v6 sounded nice and the car is definitly nice for the money. However when I compared the price difference they offered me on the gt I could not say no. I got the gt loaded with leather, 3.55rear and 500w shaker for 26.4 and the v6 was sitting in the lot for 6 months and the gt I got ordered from the factory. They wanted 23.2 for the v6 so the gt was a no brainer for me, not to mention I got it straight out the factory delivered to me with 7miles on the odo vs the v6 had 300miles from being test driven. Sometimes it's nice to know someone at the stealership.

FYI I test drove the v6 auto and ended up with a gt manual (what I wanted)

I personaly wish I had the cash to buy a v6 as a project car. And turbocharge the living ****e out of it.
Old 08-11-2007, 02:40 AM
NickSezz
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 05gtdriver

ORIGINAL: slowhiteboy

Well, I must say that having driven both models(and having owned two differentS197 GTs), the V-6 "feels" strong because of the 4.0L's torque is produced much lower in the rpm range, but on an open road where 100mph is possible(not condoning this sort of behavior, just making a point), it's not a contest(even on a tuned V-6 vs a stock GT). The GT will pull to redline(6000rpm) and wants to do more, but the electronics stop all the fun. The V-6 feels like it's gasping for breath above 5000rpms and just makes noise at that stage. A well setup V-6 makes great sense for a younger driver(trust me, if I was in my early 20's, a V-6 would be parked in front of my house) because of bang for the buck(low 14's with a tune for $15-17K if shopping wisely? Can't beat that!) and friendly insurance rates.
The two cars are for their respective audiences(as is the GT500), and you can't go wrong going Mustang.
+1 man that sounds like a far way to put it. The V6 does just die at anything over 4k rpms and makes noise...I can agree with that. The V6definitelymakes sence to a young driver (ME) This is my first car and I got it at a good price and the insurance over here in North Jersey isn't too friendly but I got a good rate...Those things together allowed me to get this car and I am grateful and take good care of it. I am the gear head type of person and I always will be searching for more. I will get a nice GT or better one day, but for now this car is fine for me to learn on and enjoy. I mean....damn...I've only had this car for a year and look whats been done to it!! (MODS below)
Old 08-11-2007, 02:40 AM
sdsguy
3rd Gear Member

i think that's really funny how guys are always saying they don't feel the power difference. i mean, i would think it's pretty evident. i was at the dealer today swapping out steering wheels because the leather on my old one was tearing, and the salesman kept trying to get me to drive the GT. i had to keep myself away cuz i knew i'd want one. this dealer by the way only sells modded GT's. to find a stock gt on this lot is like a needle in a haystack. i was this close *makes finger motion* to test driving a supercharged roush but i knew once i felt that super charger i'd want one.

Quick Reply: Test Drove 05 GT 5speed