Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Test Drove 05 GT 5speed

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 12:33 AM
jude69
1st Gear Member

Default Test Drove 05 GT 5speed

Well, this past Saturday I'm at the Ford Dealer getting an oil change on my Mustang, so in the meantime I'm looking at the cars on the lot. Long story short, a salesman is trying to get me into a used GT, since I told him that I can't afford a new one. So I test drive a Silver 5 speed 05 GT with 19K miles on it. I must say that I felt like I was driving my car. I did like the 5 speed, but overall it didn't impress me enough to say that I needed to trade my car in for it. I'm not here to knock the GT. I was just surprised that it didn't feel much different then my car. I didlike the bigger tires on the GT though.(Funny: The salesman was telling me to really punch it on the road.) He wanted me to drive it around for awhile.

Side note: It's great when your in a car dealership with no desire to buy a car (and your happy with your car), and they are trying to sell you a car. I killed a few hours that afternoon, but boy did I have some fun with the salesman and the manager. They couldn't say anything bad about my car and I kept telling them that I'm so happy with the deal that I got from them last year on my Mustang. Of course, they weren't even close to what I was willing to pay for the car along with my trade. It would have been tempting though if they would have been in the ballpark.
Old 08-08-2007, 12:48 AM
cmschlatt
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Test Drove 05 GT 5speed

not that much different ehh? how much hp are you running in your stang? for me, its a 100 hp difference. did it at least sound good?
Old 08-08-2007, 12:54 AM
jude69
1st Gear Member

It sounded good when I accelerated. It was nice, but not nice enough to justify the price. I guess what I'm saying is that our V6's are really nice. A very underrated car!
Old 08-08-2007, 01:35 AM
sw07gt
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jude69

It sounded good when I accelerated. It was nice, but not nice enough to justify the price. I guess what I'm saying is that our V6's are really nice. A very underrated car!
Definitely an underrated car but you just can't beat the sound of a V8.
Old 08-08-2007, 02:11 AM
cmschlatt
2nd Gear Member

if i could get my car to sound like a v8, i would be soooo happy. im trying to install exhaust right now [&:]
Old 08-08-2007, 07:02 AM
DylanFan
3rd Gear Member

Kinda the same thing happened to me the last time I took my car to the dealer for an oil change. He had a 2004 GT auto and a 2003 Roush auto on the lot for sale. First my wife and I took the Roush for a ride and then the GT. Neither of them impressed me very much. They just didn't seem that much faster than my V6 auto and that was before I got an x-cal 2 and SLT cai. But like you said it was a fun way to spend the time waiting for the oil change. Now I don't think I'd better take my car back to the dealer for an oil change because of the CAI and tune or would that matter to the dealer?
Old 08-08-2007, 09:30 AM
acrokat
2nd Gear Member

When I test drove a GT, what got me was how much better the manual transmission was. You can do alot to easily overcome the HP/TQ disparity but to get those shifts...

then again, I have not installed a Hurst yet, maybe that will fix my problem once and for all. And some synthetic trammy fluid.
Old 08-08-2007, 09:56 AM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

Both are great cars. The GT tranny is better in the manuals no doubt and a stronger car with some nice top end. You drove a stock car that has throttle lag. Your tune pretty much elimates most of the throttle lag. But both are strong performers, and its a good feeling to be happy with your ride when a salesman is trying to get you in something else.
Old 08-08-2007, 01:01 PM
05MustangSally
4th Gear Member

Yes, from what I've learned...the GTs normally require a throttle body replacement to really experience the full power. A dealer a couple weeks ago would not stop pushing me to test drive a brand new black 2007 GT tuned, upgraded suspension, body mods, etc. I told him "Sorry, unless you're gonna let me drive and say you'll give it to me for $25K...I'm not going to drive it." I can't drive a GT then get back into my car and be happy with it. Mind you, my car does not have any performance mods. They wanted like $35K for this car thoughbut it was sooooo pretty
Old 08-09-2007, 08:28 AM
DragonPL
3rd Gear Member

So the 90 more horse power and 80 more torque wasin't really evident???

Quick Reply: Test Drove 05 GT 5speed