Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Clay Bar

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 02:56 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Originally Posted by Zrz11386
Okso next week im on vacation from work, and not going anywhere, just not working, which is all that matters, but i went out and bought a Turtle Wax Ice Liquid Clay Bar and figured id spend a day cleaning and detailing my car. This is the first time ive used a clay bar at all, and especially the liquid one, so any suggestions and directions for use?

My cars black by the way, if that means any different usage directions.
Black cars should use actual automotive clay and not the liquid crap..JMO...I have been detailing for 20+ yrs too...
Originally Posted by Wickerbill
Hope this gets some responses as I am interested in the use/results of clay bar. Seems to me that it would be neccessary for oxidation removal but on our new cars wouldnt they be more likely to create minor scraches since there shouldnt be much oxidation on a car 1 or 2 years old unless in extreme conditions?
So true and brand new cars from the factory can and do have contaminants like rail dust, bird droppings, acid rain, industrial fallout etc....all cars regardless of age need a good clay bar once a yr or sooner depending on many conditions....they wont scratch if used as the instructions say and like others have said...if you drop it throw it away and DO NOT reuse it on any car!
Originally Posted by teetertotter
I'm one for NOT using claybar on any clearcoat finish. Just me?
It is just you....paint is paint whether it is clear or with color and the clearcoat is the defense for the paint color underneath on today's modern paint jobs. Trust me and give it a try...the proof is in the feel of the paint and how easily it is to apply polishes, glazes and waxes etc
Old 07-08-2010, 08:21 AM
teetertotter
2nd Gear Member

Yes, you have to be most careful in using claybar and NOT just any claybar. Better do your homework on claybar and HOW TO USE! Much info on the internet. May do more harm than good.
Old 07-20-2010, 12:22 PM
MergencyStang00

definitely recommend the meguiars clay bar kit. cant go wrong for $15. I have used it on all my cars and get great results every time.