Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

got my hurst shifter today

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 01:04 PM
jlwilhelm

Default RE: got my hurst shifter today ADDED PICS

I put my Hurst Shifter in not only by myself but challenged myself to install it with only one hand, I held a cold beer in my left hand through the entire ordeal. Got the shifter in in record time and consumed 4 beers in the process. There's one BIG WEAKNESS in the V6 Hurst Shifter though, the two allen head bolts that hold the chrome shifter rod to the shifter rod in the main part of the shifter mechanism. These items have a notorious habit of coming loose! Forget the loctite. Go to Home Depot or Lowes and get replacement hex head bolts and nuts with two lock washers for each bolt. After I replaced the allen head bolts with these super heavy hex head bolts, haven't had to put a wrench to it for many months. With the lock washers on the bolts, these babies are there to stay until you want to loosen them up. I would have posted photos of me installing my shifter with just one hand, but thought that would be boring to you two-handed types. Good luck and powershift away. Jack
Old 08-17-2007, 02:25 PM
billybix76
2nd Gear Member

any idea what the status is on the mgw for the 6? I hear that shifter works like a charm on the gt....they just dont have it for us yet!
I emailed em and it is in the works, should show up any week now.. BTW it will cost same as the GT MGW shifter....
Old 08-17-2007, 04:08 PM
pperin
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: jlwilhelm

I put my Hurst Shifter in not only by myself but challenged myself to install it with only one hand, I held a cold beer in my left hand through the entire ordeal. Got the shifter in in record time and consumed 4 beers in the process. There's one BIG WEAKNESS in the V6 Hurst Shifter though, the two allen head bolts that hold the chrome shifter rod to the shifter rod in the main part of the shifter mechanism. These items have a notorious habit of coming loose! Forget the loctite. Go to Home Depot or Lowes and get replacement hex head bolts and nuts with two lock washers for each bolt. After I replaced the allen head bolts with these super heavy hex head bolts, haven't had to put a wrench to it for many months. With the lock washers on the bolts, these babies are there to stay until you want to loosen them up. I would have posted photos of me installing my shifter with just one hand, but thought that would be boring to you two-handed types. Good luck and powershift away. Jack
Hey Bro, Congrats on the 1 handed job I had a hard enough time with 2 hands. The worse part was getting the stock shifter out through the hole inside the car. I finally had to get a flat head screwdriver and perswade it a bit.
Old 08-18-2007, 01:13 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Looks too much like the stock OEM shifter
in construction to me for $199 + S/H.
And whats with the zip ties on the brake handle?