Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

iPod/Digital Music player adapter for Shaker500?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 07:13 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

Default iPod/Digital Music player adapter for Shaker500?

well i posted awhile back about computer issues and not believing that it was my Peripheral iPod adapter causing it but now i've read more posts on it and it does seem to be the clear cause. Peripheral has even stopped claiming that it works in late model stangs and will accept refunds. This being said and done, is there any other device that can be used to hook up an ipod/digital player to our '05-'06 shaker systems? no FM transmitters, those things don't work for crap. i may buy an aftermarket stereo but don't want to if i don't have to.
Old 08-14-2007, 12:31 AM
cmschlatt
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: iPod/Digital Music player adapter for Shaker500?

+1 on this. i would REALLY like to have a direct input into my shaker500. my current fm transmitter is horrible.
Old 08-14-2007, 07:48 AM
dshlvrsn

The person that I bought my Peripheral from replaced it with an Axxess unit. The only problems I've had involve the unit not being recognized when I start the car. I have to turn off the head unit once or twice for it to recognize that an i-pod is attached. It's not perfect but is much better than toasting my car... Plus I tried the modulator thing and here in TX there's just too much on the airwaves it seems. Totally useless. Can't beat the sound of a direct hook up.
Old 08-14-2007, 10:14 AM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

axxess? where can i find one?
Old 08-14-2007, 11:41 AM
bazookajoe787

yes please more info on the axxess. I too, recently have had the same computer problems that ford said were casued by my periphial, and am looking for another alternative to hook my ipod, without going fm transmitter or buyign a new head unit. on a side note my dealership wont give me a clear explanation to y my perphial was casuing these problems, does anyone have more info on it?
Old 08-14-2007, 12:00 PM
omer333
3rd Gear Member

go to Crutchfield's website, they have a Harmon-Kardon iPod adaptor.
Old 08-14-2007, 12:07 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bazookajoe787

yes please more info on the axxess. I too, recently have had the same computer problems that ford said were casued by my periphial, and am looking for another alternative to hook my ipod, without going fm transmitter or buyign a new head unit. on a side note my dealership wont give me a clear explanation to y my perphial was casuing these problems, does anyone have more info on it?
no explanation was given to me either. the service rep simply said "hard wired gadgets is a no no". Peripheral has not given an explantion either as far as I know so it's probably just a faulty design on Peripheral's part. Sucks cuz there gadget worked perfect up until the computer went apes.
Old 08-14-2007, 12:37 PM
dshlvrsn

Made by a company called Metra. Model number is DFIP-01. I got mine from an e-bay seller called Intergrated Solutions (I found it by searching for "Mustang iPod".) I bought the Peripheral one first. When I contacted the seller about the problems I was having he switched it out for me right away. I'm hooked. If this one dies I will change out the head unit to something else with a HD or direct iPod connection.

As far the HK goes I did not get that one because:
a) $400
b) "connects to any factory or aftermarket stereo via the internal wireless FM transmitter, wired FM modulator, or auxiliary input connection" and
c) $400.
Old 08-14-2007, 12:59 PM
bazookajoe787

how long have u had the metra for? and isnt it hardwired like the perphial, wouldnt that casue the same problem, or u think it was just perphial who screwed up?
Old 08-14-2007, 01:21 PM
dshlvrsn

I've had it in for about a month. It installs the same way as the peripheral but I'm not positive if it's wired up the same. I had to send the harness back with the old one. As is always the case I found a lot of people after the fact that had problems with the peripheral box. There was even a company tech on some other Mustang forum that sold a bunch to people there that kept telling them one story after another about what was happening to there machines. It was definately that box that messed up those cars.

Hard as Ilooked this time I couldn't find anyone reporting those problems with this unit. Like I said in a previous post the worst problem that I've had is when I start my car the iPod is not recognized once in a while. All I have to do is turn off the stereo for a couple seconds, turn it back on and I'm in business. Haven't had to take out the Axxess box once yet to get my car back normal and actually be able to use my signal lights (I know I'm in TX and they are optional but I like to have the option you know...)

At the slightest blip I'm ready to pull it out but so far so good.

Quick Reply: iPod/Digital Music player adapter for Shaker500?