Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Weight Reduction Help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 07:32 PM
lrgnation
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Weight Reduction Help!

seibon makes the doors for about 2k i think.

Old 08-18-2007, 10:37 PM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

ty, probably not worth it then.
Old 08-19-2007, 04:49 PM
jwilhelm
2nd Gear Member

After reading all the posts above, and giving thesubject some serious thought, I'm going to conceedthat I am most likely wrong about loosing "hundreds of pounds" by switching fenders and hood for glass or carbon fibers replacements. One is most likely to loose thousands of pounds with this switch!Just kidding, I know the net poundage difference really isn't that much. I think our beloved gotta loose weight brethern needs to make some prudent choices about what is resonable to extract from his car so he doesn't destroy a nice automobile. Don't forget, one can also go the opposite direction, invest money in making more horsepower. Result is the same as loosing mass to go faster. Enjoy your endeavor, Jack.
Old 08-19-2007, 05:05 PM
Buckman
3rd Gear Member

After reading all the posts above, and giving thesubject some serious thought, I'm going to conceedthat I am most likely wrong about loosing "hundreds of pounds" by switching fenders and hood for glass or carbon fibers replacements. One is most likely to loose thousands of pounds with this switch!Just kidding, I know the net poundage difference really isn't that much. I think our beloved gotta loose weight brethern needs to make some prudent choices about what is resonable to extract from his car so he doesn't destroy a nice automobile. Don't forget, one can also go the opposite direction, invest money in making more horsepower. Result is the same as loosing mass to go faster. Enjoy your endeavor, Jack.
Jack, I totally agree with the above statement.
I think people need to set realistic goals of both power and weight loss and go with the most efficient ways to attain that desired ET for the track, road course, etc...
In my honest opinion all this talk of carbon fiber hoods, fenders, etc, is borderline insane. There are a bunch of simple, tasteful ways to shed weight that will have the same effect.
To be honest hitting 12'sand under in this carisn't rocket science. A straightforward approach of mods combined with weight loss, suspension and driver skill will reach that goal.
Old 08-19-2007, 07:34 PM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

Yeah, That's what I thought but my next only steps if I'm going to do the x-charger are: Aluminum Driveshaft,headers, and some weight reduction. Other than that my suspension mods are pretty good beside a bmr front sway and radiator support delete. I'm pretty much out of options other than that and weight reduction for now(DS and X-Charger in March/April). BTW if anybody has any idea how much I will gain from some headers long or shorty/normal(?) after doing the X-Charger I would like to know? And how hard or how much the headers install and price would cost? Maybe other people who are going the N/A position in my place could do the shaft, UDP's, Cam, Heads, and Intake, or go dual(I don't want to). But bolt-ons can only do so much. That's why I'm going the weight reduction and X-Charger path at the beginning of next yr.I agree that pretty much all CF parts aren't worth the money unless ur goingfor every singlehundreath of a second faster butCF parts don't destroy a car, Neither doesspare and jack removal, and why the hell notstrip the trunk carpet and debris well ur at it cause who actually uses there mustang trunkor shows it off. Weight loss also like lightweight/tubular replacements doesn't hurt the beauty of ur car either, all itdoes is make parts of ur suspension stronger and lighter. The only weight reduction thatdestroys ur car is stripping the inside(besides the rear seat delete which I think is a cool idea-2 seater mustang-Option please Ford) I wouldn't even consider CF front seats being destroying the car, they give a cool look from what I've seen.Oh yeah,Thanx for the help.
Old 08-20-2007, 04:52 PM
jwilhelm
2nd Gear Member

Joe, unless you're going to go all out and install a supercharger on your V6, stay with the two basic mods that will get you the most for your money invested - a tune and a CAI system. The V6 4 litre motor is not a 4.6 litre GT motor. It runs fantastic for what it is, but in its simplist form, it'll never be a fire breathing V8 GT. Intalling a nice set of JBA ceramic coated headers will make the engine compartment look great, but for the bucks invested, it's not the best return. I still haven't put on the set I've currently put up in the garage attic to get 'em outta the way. []When I bought mine, it cost me about $450, and they're in the attic??? WOW! Other than the tune, a good, nicely installed dual exhaust system is worth the trouble and money. The best overall mods would be a good set of Ford 4.10 gears,a T-Lok, CAI, anda 93 octance tune. Beyond this everything else will be marginal for the money spent. Go for looks after this point. My thoughts, Jack.
Old 08-20-2007, 06:34 PM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

Got everything u mentioned but the headers. That's why my next steps are Alluminum DS, X-Charger, and weight reduction. Other than that I'm not trading in for a GT cause insurance for a 19-20yr old will be killer on it. Can't do that yet, so those are my options.
Thanx for the help!