Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Weight Reduction Help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 06:05 PM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

Default Weight Reduction Help!

OK, I know the mostbasic weight reduction things are with the weight they take off:
-Spare and Jack removal ?lbs
-Trunk Carpet and underneath sound deadening? debris-?lbs
-Rear Seat Delete Kit-$160-$250 30-45lbs
-Front Sway Bar Delete-25lbs or Front Sway Bar/Radiator Support Delete Kit-$160-50?lbs
-Dynamatt lightweight battery-$100-25lbs or u can buy a battery relocation kit-$125 and put the 35lb battery in the trunk for better wieght transfer
Other than this weight removal, What's the next things u can do for weight removal on our mustangs kit wise or other stuffforeveryday driving or weekend driving? I heard somewhere u can remove the dashboard and take away unnecessary debris and stuff there, is that right? I also heard u can take off som door and other panels inside the car to take some sound deadener out too. Is that right? Any good weight off for the sound deadener? Also, please correct me if any of the #'s I have up top are off. Pretty much I have done almost all the basic bolt-on's besides UDP and everything after this is prettyexpensive so I'm looking at weight reduction now.Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank u for the help ahead of time!
Old 08-17-2007, 06:23 PM
jwilhelm
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Weight Reduction Help!

After reading your email, it appears that you may have a real personal problem and the object of your attention is your wonderful Mustang. Just kidding, but be reasonable here, these cars cost a lot of money. I just had an aluminum draftshaft installed today on my V6, took off 32 pounds and got rid of that horrible stock driveshaft that Ford puts on the Mustangs. If you really want to get into shedding serious pounds and not destroy the functionality of your car, look into switching out the hood and front fenders for glass or carbon fiber replacements. You can drop serious weight here amounting to several hundred pounds. Another major switch is to exchange the front subframe components and K-member for a setup like the one offered by BMR Fabrication. This exchange will drop well over a 100 pounds off your front end. Hope this helps without contributing to the destruction of your car, Jack.
Old 08-17-2007, 06:40 PM
383 TPI

Seriously now, hundres of pounds from glass or carbon fibor over steel fenders? Have you ever had a fender of these cars in your hand? it can't weigh over 10 lbs for the whole thing . I think the BMR k member is good as well as the light weight battery, hell put the lightweight battery in the trunk.Front sway bar 25 lbs? that would surprise me. I'm thinking 100#s is about it really, but worth it if you gotta go fast. so forget the hood and fenders, get rid of some serious weight and take out the motor , I mean you can save some serious weight there. maybe what 500 lbs

Old 08-17-2007, 06:53 PM
Buckman
3rd Gear Member

Removing the entire front swaybar = 16 lbs
Changing out stock driveshaft to PH alum. driveshaft = 14 lbs (stock = 28 lbs, alum = 14 lbs)
The stock hood is aluminum and is actually quite light as are the stock fascias.
Change out stock battery to aftermarket, good idea.
Aftermarket radiator support brackets, good idea.
The standard remove spare tire, jack, trunk carpet.
I am not sure how much weight is saved by going with the rear seat delete kit.
Wheels/tires are another thing you should consider if you are serious about shaving weight out.
Old 08-17-2007, 07:34 PM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

?'s:
1.Is the Aluminum Driveshaft worth it? How fast can u now go in the stang with it? I heard u could only go 110 w/a stock one cause it's sheitty.
2. I think Streetable Weld 15X7'sare $600 +shipping and new tires for them would run $350-$400, Are they worth it? Anybody have any gains in the 1/4 #'s? MPG gained? Weight shaved?
thanx ahead of time
Old 08-17-2007, 08:01 PM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

the alum driveshaft is worth it. you can also go for some steeda ultralight rims and get a big break kit with lightweight rotors. you wanna cut as much rotating mass as possible
Old 08-17-2007, 08:09 PM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

seats - driver/90lbs passenger/60lbs - change out for lighter

carbon fenders/hood - please - what a waste of money to save 3lbs

driveshaft/aluminum flywheel are an AWESOME mod

ROTATING weight is much more helpful. every pound of rotating weight you remove from the car acts like 8lbs of static weight.

moving a lightweight battery to the trunk isn't very smart. you have considerably less cranking amps and are drawing it through a 12 foot cable instead of a 2 foot one - bad idea

Old 08-17-2007, 10:26 PM
pat6674u
3rd Gear Member

Weight watchers, it worked for Golic and Shula!
Old 08-17-2007, 11:19 PM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

I only weigh 160lbs, if I lose anymore I'll barley be eating anything over the course of a day.
Old 08-18-2007, 12:20 AM
fazm
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SteelStang05

?'s:
1.Is the Aluminum Driveshaft worth it? How fast can u now go in the stang with it? I heard u could only go 110 w/a stock one cause it's sheitty.
2. I think Streetable Weld 15X7'sare $600 +shipping and new tires for them would run $350-$400, Are they worth it? Anybody have any gains in the 1/4 #'s? MPG gained? Weight shaved?
thanx ahead of time
weld 15x7's will not fit, dont waste your money on them.

if you are lookin for those, you will need weld XP's. regular weld's do not fit. and sad to say, but weld xp's are not made anymore. you can try to find a used set, or buy bogarts or holeshot's

Quick Reply: Weight Reduction Help!