Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Aluminum Driveshaft?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 11:32 AM
pperin
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Aluminum Driveshaft?

ORIGINAL: sdsguy

8cd said it best, having an aluminum driveshaft will put more HP to your wheels because there won't be as much weight and friction loss.
"Friction"?? What friction does a drive shaft have??
Old 08-19-2007, 01:18 PM
pat6674u
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: chrisc

ORIGINAL: pat6674u

Powerhouse is where I ordered mine from and I believe it was worth the money (I paid aroun $500). You lose some of the rotational mass of the driveline which will free up hp.
not to mention that you can get a proper dyno lol
Yeah, that's where Afixer's came flying off.
Old 08-19-2007, 02:06 PM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

its really not going to do much for HP unless you upgrade the tranny with lightweight stuff as well, the driveshafts on the new 6ers have been known to give out so if you plan on putting down big power or drive on the autobahn it is worth it
Old 08-19-2007, 03:06 PM
scrming
5th Gear Member

The Shaftmaster DS is a top notch unit! Well worth the money! I see NO difference between it and the PH shaft other than price...

my full review is at: http://www.v6john.com/Main/Performan..._the_shaft.htm
Old 08-19-2007, 03:15 PM
pperin
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: scrming

The Shaftmaster DS is a top notch unit! Well worth the money! I see NO difference between it and the PH shaft other than price...

Hey Scremin,
I have a few questions. First !!!! were is the mistress?? then can you tell us what all the advantages of the alum. DS are? Is it a DIY job? You always seem to have good info.
I hope nothing happend to your car !!! Thanks

my full review is at: http://www.v6john.com/Main/Performan..._the_shaft.htm
Old 08-19-2007, 04:32 PM
jwilhelm
2nd Gear Member

When I saw that John (Scrming) put a Shaftmasters aluminum shaft of The Mistress, I was on the phone an ordered one for my V6 and it showed up on the front door about 3 days later completely ready to install. These guys package their shafts like it's going to be shipped to some planet in another solar system. There's no way this sucker's gonna get damaged in route to your house. I could have installed it myself but had my mechanic at Sarasota Ford do it for me. Rick said it was one of the easiest bolt ons he had ever done. I've put it through some paces over the last week and it's hangin real tough with what I've put it through so far. It may be inexpensive but it's as good as anything out there right now, and the quality and fit is superb! Good luck guys, Jack.
Old 08-19-2007, 06:57 PM
scrming
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: pperin

Hey Scremin,
I have a few questions. First !!!! were is the mistress?? then can you tell us what all the advantages of the alum. DS are? Is it a DIY job? You always seem to have good info.
As others have listed the things that come to mind are:

1) Reduced weight!
2) Sturdy! This sucker is not going to fly apart on the dyno! More than one stock shaft has self-destructed!
3) Smooth!!! Those nasty vibrations are gone! Open stretch of highway... very very unlike me... Crusing at 100MPH the car felt great!

and finally... I was having a heck of time with the rear pinion seal leaking! We tried everything... finally broke down and bought the Shaftmaster DS... PROBLEM SOLVED!!! No more leaks!!

As far as the Mistres... can you say HUMMER!

long story... after much agnozing... decided on a more family oriented vehicle....

Old 08-19-2007, 09:42 PM
pperin
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: scrming

ORIGINAL: pperin

Hey Scremin,
As others have listed the things that come to mind are:

1) Reduced weight!
2) Sturdy! This sucker is not going to fly apart on the dyno! More than one stock shaft has self-destructed!
3) Smooth!!! Those nasty vibrations are gone! Open stretch of highway... very very unlike me... Crusing at 100MPH the car felt great!

and finally... I was having a heck of time with the rear pinion seal leaking! We tried everything... finally broke down and bought the Shaftmaster DS... PROBLEM SOLVED!!! No more leaks!!

As far as the Mistres... can you say HUMMER!

Hey John,
Sorry to say we will all miss "the mistress" it was always cool to see her progress. I certainly hope that we don't lose you on this forum. Good Luck with the new ride!! Phil
And if I can ask another? will the alum DS free up power like the 3.73 gears did? In other words will the car be quicker even though the DS doesn't accually increase HP?

long story... after much agnozing... decided on a more family oriented vehicle....

Old 08-20-2007, 09:58 AM
pperin
I ♥ Acer

I know that a few guys have said that the install on th DS is easy and it looks like 8 bolts. But does anyone know if the DS is automaticaly indexed and if there are any other tips on the install like torquing bolts, lock tite need etc. Thanks
Old 08-20-2007, 03:52 PM
jlwilhelm

The Shaftmaster DS comes to you as a direct bolt on with you only having to put the four bolts on each end in place. No adapter plates or any of that nonsense. No indexing involved. You'll have to raise the car and place your jackstands so that four stands support the body and two additional stands are available to support the rear axle, you can also use a floor jack if you want. You have to be able to rotate the driveshaft itself so you can get to the bolts to tighten them. You can torge 'em if you want, but my mechanic said just crank them as tight as you can get them. Yes, use PLENTY of loctite! Rick my mechanic said invest in a new set of bolts from your Ford dealership because the bolts come with a special loctite already on them, and this stuff holds like hell. Good luck, Jack.

Quick Reply: Aluminum Driveshaft?