Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Conversion: AUTO to MANUAL

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 09:28 PM
mignella254
2nd Gear Member

Default Conversion: AUTO to MANUAL

Is it possible, if so how much do you think it will cost to do it? Ill prob. get a hurst short shifter, if i do this.

Right now, i find driving with an automatic to boring. Help.
Old 08-18-2007, 09:42 PM
VictoriaRR
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Conversion: AUTO to MANUAL

I, too, wish that I had gotten a manual. I got my Stang nearly two years ago and at the time wasn't really into cars. I just thought it was cool because it was a Mustang. If I knew then what I know now, I would have probably held off for a GT or at least gotten a manual. At the same time, I didn't know how to drive a stick back then. I agree, though. Automatic is boring. I always drive with my right hand on the shifter, falsely imagining myself shifting gear as the gears change.

In any case, I'd say at least a couple grand. I think if I was going to do a conversion like that the shifter type would be the last thing on my mind. Hursts are nice, yes, but look into the actual auto to manual conversion first.
Old 08-19-2007, 03:24 AM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

I am going to guess that this is a much larger deal that just plopping in a new transmission. I think that you will probably have to even change out the ECU, considering all the auto tranny shifting stuff is stored on it.
Old 08-19-2007, 08:58 AM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Back in '72, my brother did it with his brand spanking new Torino. I don't know why he just didn't get a stick in the first place unless they didn't come in that.
I'm sure it is still possible today.

For some reason, on the lot when I bought my Mustang, there wasn't any manuals there except for the souped-up one with a hefty price tag. They had to call at another dealership to find the one I wanted.....it was on a car carrier, soI lucked out that day. Not to mention the discount for it not being an auto.
Old 08-19-2007, 09:24 AM
jdphillips73
4th Gear Member

i drove a stick for the past 10 years. During that time it was a ford ranger, then chevy silverado, then mustang, and i got to tell you, when i got my new mustang, i didnt care if it was more expensive for a auto, cause i was sick of shifting all the time. It is cool to occassionally shift, but to do it all the time is a hassle. Not to mention that your resale value will be higher with a automatic tranny. When I traded my 2004 mustang for my 07, the car was flawless, and the first thing the sales manager said, is man, i wish this wasnt a stick....i cant sell it for as much as a auto..."

just my 2 cents
Old 08-19-2007, 10:24 AM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

True it can be tiresome if it's your daily driver. I own 4 other Fords that are allAuto, so driving a manual is for my recreation.
Old 08-19-2007, 11:24 AM
fazm
5th Gear Member

transmission, flywheel, clutchkit, master cylinder, lines, switches, new pedal assembly, wiring harness, ECU, crossmember,driveshaft, starter, etc etc.

much cheaper for you to find someone that wants an auto, and swap cars out. the auto is much more stout than the manual anyway, and resale is better.
Old 08-19-2007, 11:26 AM
fazm
5th Gear Member

my stang is my DD. 25 miles each way to work. sometimes in pretty bad traffic. i have a stage 3 clutch with a fully built t5 transmission, and its not that bad. if i were to turn my car into a track only car, id swap it for an auto no doubt.
Old 08-19-2007, 11:30 AM
mignella254
2nd Gear Member

Well, there is no way in hell i am going to sell my car, its new, its mine, and its just the way i want it (except for the trans.) So i guess its auto for me. A tuneand intake may make me change my mind about the whole thing anyway.

Thanks guys
Old 08-19-2007, 12:36 PM
Bandit111
2nd Gear Member

Actually,i am pretty sick of shifting after just over a year and 9k miles.I mostly do city driving 99% of the time.I would actually consider a trade,lol.A fair list of mods too.

Quick Reply: Conversion: AUTO to MANUAL