Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Hello, new owner got a few questions...

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 10:57 PM
themac5150
3rd Gear Member

Default Hello, new owner got a few questions...

Hello all,
I'm a proud new owner of a 07 V6 in windveil blue with the exterior sport appearance package. I've had it for a couple of months and decide to upgrade somethings. The exhaust was the first, then I got mrt louvers. I bought a flowmaster a-t axle back and was satisfied with it until today. I had to do an 8hr road trip, and the drone that thing put out at 70mph with the cruise on was horrible, especially going up hills. I don't know if I want to put the stock back on or give the borla/fordracing axle back a try. Anyone with input on any muffler that is better (no nasty drone) please chime in. I have no desire to go with duals. Second, what is up with Bamachips and especially here on this forum? I do a search and all that comes up is references with Doug at ****??? I ordered a c/l intake and xcal2 from them back on the 3rd, and haven't heard a thing, except for the automatic order email. I used the contact page on their website and sent an email to the address on the paypal receipt but no reply. That was Weds then on Fri of this week. I notice that they state there is a 20% restocking fee for cancelled orders....but i don't even know if mine is being filled. I don't mind waiting, but I also had a few questions about the tunerand I would've liked someanswers. It's a lot of my hard earned money already paid, and not even a simple "yes we're working on it". And third,I ordered a pony package grill and was looking at the instructions, and it wants me to install wires in the switch plug that alreadyhas the same colored wires in there.Where do these go? DoI just pullthem out and let them dangle?Someonethat has done this upgrade, I need help. It makes me cringe at the thought offrying somethingbecause the orginal wires in those terminals are hot, or needed for something. Which brings up another question, if these are installed for foglights, whydo I have to route wires to a plug that already has the necessary wires installed? Hmm... anyhow, thanks to anyone who can answer these questions.
Old 08-19-2007, 03:20 AM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Hello, new owner got a few questions...

Alright...lots of questions lol...

1. For the exhaust, the AT's have been known to crap out on people after a while of use. It is weird, but true. I personally have a JBA axleback, and it makes a very nice sound, and has absolutely no strange vibrations at any speed at any RPM. I highly recommend them. They are top quality pieces and they sound sweet. I just bought their dual system too, and it looks amazing. I have not got the chance to get it in yet though.

2. It is strange to hear that Doug has taken 3 weeks. That is absolutely not normal for him. Have you called him? If not give that a shot. All my dealings with him have been more than great. I personally feel that he has the best customer service I have ever had in my life. And I say that literally.

3. The Pony Package requires a different light switch. If you want one for cheap (because they cost $100 at Ford), PM me. I am pulling off my pony package grill/lights/harness/switch early next week and I can hook you up.
Old 08-19-2007, 11:55 AM
pperin
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: themac5150

Hello all,
I'm a proud new owner of a 07 V6 in windveil blue with the exterior sport appearance package. I've had it for a couple of months and decide to upgrade somethings. The exhaust was the first, then I got mrt louvers. I bought a flowmaster a-t axle back and was satisfied with it until today. I had to do an 8hr road trip, and the drone that thing put out at 70mph with the cruise on was horrible, especially going up hills. I don't know if I want to put the stock back on or give the borla/fordracing axle back a try. Anyone with input on any muffler that is better (no nasty drone) please chime in. I have no desire to go with duals. Second, what is up with Bamachips and especially here on this forum? I do a search and all that comes up is references with Doug at ****??? I ordered a c/l intake and xcal2 from them back on the 3rd, and haven't heard a thing, except for the automatic order email. I used the contact page on their website and sent an email to the address on the paypal receipt but no reply. That was Weds then on Fri of this week. I notice that they state there is a 20% restocking fee for cancelled orders....but i don't even know if mine is being filled. I don't mind waiting, but I also had a few questions about the tunerand I would've like answers. It's a lot of my hard earned money already paid, and not even a simple "yes we're working on it". And third,I ordered a pony package grill and was looking at the instructions, and it wants me to install wires in the switch plug that alreadyhas the same colored wires in there.Where do these go? DoI just pullthem out and let them dangle?Someonethat has done this upgrade, I need help. It makes me cringe at the thought offrying somethingbecause the orginal wires in those terminals are hot, or needed for something. Which brings up another question, if these are installed for foglights, why am I have to route wires to a plug that already has the necessary wires installed? Hmm... anyhow, thanks to anyone who can answer these questions.
Hey Themac,
Welcome to the forum. As for your "drone" problem I had a MRT and had the same issue. Do yourself a favor and get a GT take off they are cheap,very well made,sound good without drone or excessive noise. You will spend hundreds goign through mufflers that will prettyall much do the same. I plan on getting the 2nd GT muffler installed soon.
Doug was great when I ordered my xcal I don't know why you may be having s problem.
Old 08-19-2007, 02:39 PM
themac5150
3rd Gear Member

Hey guys, thanks for the replies. As far as Doug, if i had a number i would call, the website doesn't list one.
The grill i got was the ford kit, it includes the switch, and harness. The harness is where i'm having the problems. I have to run 2 wires in through the firewall, and to the switch connector. I get there and 2 wires the same color are already in the positions the instructions tell me to install the new harness's terminal ends. Where do these wires that are already installed go? I thought about gt take offs, but i hear there are 2 different part numbers, one for manual, the other for auto.
Old 08-19-2007, 02:56 PM
pperin
I ♥ Acer

Hey guys, thanks for the replies. As far as Doug, if i had a number i would call, the website doesn't list one.
The grill i got was the ford kit, it includes the switch, and harness. The harness is where i'm having the problems. I have to run 2 wires in through the firewall, and to the switch connector. I get there and 2 wires the same color are already in the positions the instructions tell me to install the new harness's terminal ends. Where do these wires that are already installed go? I thought about gt take offs, but i hear there are 2 different part numbers, one for manual, the other for auto.
Don't worry about the different part # I have a manual car with supposedly an auto GT take-off it sounds and fit GREAT. Even though there are 2 different part #'s I doubt Ford would make 2 different mufflers for the same car.
Old 08-19-2007, 11:30 PM
sdsguy
3rd Gear Member

like pperin said, MRT's have a high drone too but what i've noticed is if i'm in 5th gear at around 70 MPH there's no drone. if i'm in 4th gear at around 70 MPH, it drones like a siren! if your car is a stick, try that.
Old 08-20-2007, 12:11 AM
VictoriaRR
4th Gear Member

Does drone have a bad impact on your hearing? I have the MRT, too, and while I love it, it does drone pretty badly. I don't think I'd switch it out for any other muffler, though.I love it. I just wonder if the drone can hurt a person's hearing in the long run.
Old 08-20-2007, 12:10 PM
themac5150
3rd Gear Member

VictoriaRR,
I don't know if it affects hearing or not. Here around the house, I really don't mind the drone, it doesn't seem as bad. But after many hours going down the interstate, with the resonation at the pretty much the same pitch, and it interferes listening to the radio at a lower level, it was really wearing on me. Today, I fired it up and went to work, no problem. As far as the gt take off, I'm not going to dump money on that yet. I would still like to hear back from people with the Borla/Ford racing muffler, not that I'll buy that right now either. I have a perfectly good stock muffler that I'd use before I purchased anymore drone cans. If I could score a gt take off dirt cheap, I'll do it. But online they sell them in sets, and I don't want 2 of them, I have no desire to go dual. Everwhere I have looked online, it would be around a hundred bucks after shipping, too much for used. I like your Roush louvers, where did you get them?
Also, anybody out there that has installed the Ford pony package grill kit, please me on the wiring issue I listed in my first post.
Thanks,
Jeff
Old 08-20-2007, 01:04 PM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

VictoriaRR,
I don't know if it affects hearing or not. Here around the house, I really don't mind the drone, it doesn't seem as bad. But after many hours going down the interstate, with the resonation at the pretty much the same pitch, and it interferes listening to the radio at a lower level, it was really wearing on me. Today, I fired it up and went to work, no problem. As far as the gt take off, I'm not going to dump money on that yet. I would still like to hear back from people with the Borla/Ford racing muffler, not that I'll buy that right now either. I have a perfectly good stock muffler that I'd use before I purchased anymore drone cans. If I could score a gt take off dirt cheap, I'll do it. But online they sell them in sets, and I don't want 2 of them, I have no desire to go dual. Everwhere I have looked online, it would be around a hundred bucks after shipping, too much for used. I like your Roush louvers, where did you get them?
Also, anybody out there that has installed the Ford pony package grill kit, please me on the wiring issue I listed in my first post.
Thanks,
Jeff
Check craigslist.org for local people selling parts around your area. I found 2 take GT-mufflers with the chrome tips for $50 bucks. They were brand new, off an 07 GT with less than 1k miles on them. He was local so I just went and picked them up. And the GT muffs sounds very close to the ford racing/borla (are the GT muffs made by Borla?)
Old 08-20-2007, 02:40 PM
themac5150
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ODDYSEY
Check craigslist.org for local people selling parts around your area. I found 2 take GT-mufflers with the chrome tips for $50 bucks. They were brand new, off an 07 GT with less than 1k miles on them. He was local so I just went and picked them up. And the GT muffs sounds very close to the ford racing/borla (are the GT muffs made by Borla?)
I'll look around for that local. I was set on getting some takeoff gt silver or gray 17" bullitts, but after all of my research about the TPMS and the butt pain that it now brings to the tire swap, I said forget it. I'm not the type that can live with an idiot light staying on all the time, even as lame as it is. And the cost of adding the sensors to different wheels(would leave the originals installed incase I ever went back, or to sweeten the pot if I decided to sell them) is way too much. Then you have to train the sensors to the car, and I found the procedure, but nowhere can I find the tool for an 07 mustang, outside of the rediculously expensive tire industry tool packs. Is it a magnet like the ranger or an RF type device? One more way the auto industry has you by the cluster. I was unaware that my car even had the TPMS until the light came on a couple of days after I had it. Put some air in there and it's been all good ever since. So, I kind of like the feature, but I can't believe how much they are charging in this day and age for them. Ok, I guess I've vented enough about that...LOL

Quick Reply: Hello, new owner got a few questions...