Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

X-Charger Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2019, 09:09 AM
Vinof

Originally Posted by JimC
Dave and Patty retired and Xplorer Xpress is now closed.

You need an SCT tuner - the dyno is used to determine the final tune, and a good tuner should be able to give you a base tune to get the car to the shop. Not sure what is available to you in Brazil (my wife grew up in Sao Paulo, but she wouldn't be any help finding a shop now since she came here in 1967 and hasn't been back, plus all of her friends were also ex-pats or from Canada and European countries).
Here we don’t have any shops which sell tuners, so I am planning to order one from US. Basically there is no problem tu buy a tuner itself, but who can make a base tune for me?
Old 05-19-2019, 07:03 PM
JimC

You will need someone who can do a tune for whatever brand tuner you buy (SCT is the most popular) and they write the tune and you load it to your tuner, plug it in to your car, and update. If you have a dyno shop near you they can tune on the dyno, but they still need your handheld tuner to work with.
Old 06-02-2019, 07:56 PM
Vinof

Well, I found a dyno shop which can try to make a custom tune for me. But it is 2000km away from me...so as I can’t start the engine after installing x-charger, I will need to order a tow truck, that will cost more than the price of x-charger I bought. So I think unfortunately i will not install the blower...
Old 06-03-2019, 06:36 AM
JimC

Originally Posted by Vinof
Well, I found a dyno shop which can try to make a custom tune for me. But it is 2000km away from me...so as I can’t start the engine after installing x-charger, I will need to order a tow truck, that will cost more than the price of x-charger I bought. So I think unfortunately i will not install the blower...
They can't/won't do a temporary tune for you to drive there? Many tuners will do a tune that is used to get to the dyno, you just have to drive carefully on it.
Old 06-03-2019, 11:02 AM
VistaBlue09
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Vinof
You could contact these guys to see if they can do a remote tune for you. I’m not personally familiar with them but they’re a preferred vendor with the 4.0 Heroes! group on Facebook. They might be able to help you out - I hope they can because the X-Charger is a lot of fun!
https://automafiaracing.com/collecti...fia-email-tune
Old 04-18-2024, 07:33 AM
stephensim

I know this thread dates back a few years, but hoping someone takes a look and is able to respond!

My brother gave me his old 2005 Ford Mustang V6 with the X-Charger installed. Unfortunately, it's been sitting on his driveway for years. I'm trying to fix it up and get the car back in running condition, but I need to pass an emissions test first (I live in GA). When I plug in my OBDII, it says my Catalyst, O2 sensor heater, EGR system and O2 sensor are "not ready". After logging over 800 miles trying to complete a drive cycle, I came across this thread and other threads in various forums detailing how it could be a tuning issue.

My question is does anyone know of anyone who works on X-Charger tunes now? It looks like Explorer Express is no longer in business. I don't know who to reach out to or who can help with this.
Old 04-18-2024, 02:52 PM
Fabio Zecchel

Originally Posted by stephensim
I know this thread dates back a few years, but hoping someone takes a look and is able to respond!

My brother gave me his old 2005 Ford Mustang V6 with the X-Charger installed. Unfortunately, it's been sitting on his driveway for years. I'm trying to fix it up and get the car back in running condition, but I need to pass an emissions test first (I live in GA). When I plug in my OBDII, it says my Catalyst, O2 sensor heater, EGR system and O2 sensor are "not ready". After logging over 800 miles trying to complete a drive cycle, I came across this thread and other threads in various forums detailing how it could be a tuning issue.

My question is does anyone know of anyone who works on X-Charger tunes now? It looks like Explorer Express is no longer in business. I don't know who to reach out to or who can help with this.
For my experience, i went with AutoMafia, and yeah, they did an average tune, but not fulfilling all my requests..also i know that Li tuning and racing could make a tune for it...otherwise,go to a good dyno shop and get it tuned there; however, if you have the predator or SCT with the tunes for the X-charger on that car, try first to reinstall them..and then maybe swap in a pair of new O2 sensors that aren't so pricey..and see if this solve some issues. Just my 2 cents
Old 04-21-2024, 08:13 PM
VistaBlue09
1st Gear Member

Was the car running fine before your brother quit driving it or did it have problems and that’s why he quit driving it?
Was it from a state that didn’t require inspections or smog?
Sitting in a driveway for years could have introduced wiring problems, including from any critters making a home of it.
No idea where you are in Georgia but it looks like there are a lot of dyno tuners in the greater Atlanta area.
Old 04-21-2024, 08:23 PM
stephensim

So the car was running fine before he quit driving it. He actually got the X-Charger installed directly from the guys who made it (Explorer Express). But you know, life happens. He needed a more family friendly car. So his Mustang turned into a weekend car, which turned into just sitting outside all day..

Our county does require annual emission inspections. But by the time his emission renewal date came around, he wasn't using the car anymore, so he didn't bother taking it in. Had he taken the car in for emissions test at that time, he would have likely run into the same problem I'm currently having right now probably.

Car runs fine otherwise. I fixed it up, replaced all fluids, flushed brakes, flushed coolant, new tires, etc. The car runs smooth today. I just can't pass an emissions test. If I can't pass emissions, I can't register the car. If I can't register the car, well then I can't "legally" drive it around.
Old 04-22-2024, 12:22 AM
VistaBlue09
1st Gear Member

So the car was running fine before he quit driving it. He actually got the X-Charger installed directly from the guys who made it (Explorer Express). But you know, life happens. He needed a more family friendly car. So his Mustang turned into a weekend car, which turned into just sitting outside all day..

Our county does require annual emission inspections. But by the time his emission renewal date came around, he wasn't using the car anymore, so he didn't bother taking it in. Had he taken the car in for emissions test at that time, he would have likely run into the same problem I'm currently having right now probably.

Car runs fine otherwise. I fixed it up, replaced all fluids, flushed brakes, flushed coolant, new tires, etc. The car runs smooth today. I just can't pass an emissions test. If I can't pass emissions, I can't register the car. If I can't register the car, well then I can't "legally" drive it around.
Does it have any codes, pending or active? Does it have cats?

Its a long shot, but if you have a relative 65 or older you can transfer the title with them listed first on the title and get a Senior Exemption from Georgia. It might buy you time to legally drive it somewhere to get a proper emissions tune and then you could take them off the title. But I’d expect someone might hesitate to do this because of liability issues.

Mine was originally the California CARB model and I had to pass emissions once in CA before moving out of state, I had a challenge with the emissions tune from Explorer Express (they were still around back then) because it kept triggering a check engine light if I ran the tune too long. I ended up have to load the emissions tune right before testing to pass smog.