Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Future Performance Mods:

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 10:38 PM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

Default Future Performance Mods:

Next Year in early march or april I'm gonna put$1.5k-$3k in my stang. I just found out I'm not gonna have enough for the X-Chargerand have decided since it will take me about a couple yrs to save up for that(I'm in college), I'm not gonna go FI. So what mods u think I can do going the NA way with my money? What would give me the bestgains for the money without taking away a lot of my engine's life? How much are cam's right now?how muchwould Igain from one? Ihear ofpeople with the old v6's threw in a cam for $300-$450 and gained 20-30HP! How much would heads port and polish be?All I can think of right now is UDP's, Aluminum DS,Shorty Headers(not worth the 5-10 gain for $700-installed), andJBA 9mm wires. Any otherperformance mods they make for our cars in my price range? And whatgains would I see from these mods? I here 5-10rwhp freed from UDP's, 5-10rwhp from Aluminum DS, and about 0-5hp from the motoblue or JBA wires.
Thanx for the help ahead oftime!
Old 08-26-2007, 11:39 PM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Future Performance Mods:

Don't do UDPs if you done wanna spend a lot for a little. I got them, IMO they were nice, but not worth $600. Also, I got the JBA 9mm cables....butt dyno says no gains. It may have been 1-2rwhp, but nothing of significance (and I have f/i). Shorties dont do much in general, I dont think they help on f/i cars either. I am under the impression they are mainly for sound. Once again, you may get a few ponies out of them, but not worth the money. If you wanna give it a shot, I am selling LTs. They will give a few ponies, not sure how many.

The alum DS is a good thing to do, best thing on the list for sure. Not sure what kind of gains, but apparently it takes 0.2 off the 1/4, so that is pretty nice, even if you are not dragging.

For heads, you have two choices. SSM and PH411. IMO, PH411 is a better company with better products, but everybody has an opinion on everything right? lol.. PH411 heads+cams will run you $2400. People say they dont do N/A work, but when I called them to look into getting heads+cams for my car, they asked if I wanted and N/A setup or a F/I setup. Nobody has tried their setup N/A, but people who have gone with them for F/I setups have got great outcomes (example: procharger doing 380rwhp @ 10psi). SSM sells three heads+cams kits. You can also just do heads. Check out their site. Somebody did 230rwhp on an auto on a MustangDyno with the Stage2 kit and no cams . That is a decent gain, considering he baselined at 190rwhp. A manual tranny on a dynojet would get 255rwhp probably (which is almost at much as the X lol).
Old 08-27-2007, 06:25 AM
rmays06
5th Gear Member

Get the Alum D/S and get a DYNO tune from a shop! I got the alternator UDP and it made a difference but not huge but lilgains add up. Headers aren't worth it NA.
Old 08-27-2007, 12:21 PM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

Thanx, Great info.Wow 40+hp for $2k+ heads and cam would probably net around 260-270rwhp then huh. Not bad. How hard is the install? Would I need to dyno tune it after the install? How much would it cost if a shop installs it? Is the reliability of the car still the same? reliability better than a Supercharger? Wanna no cause I'm keepin my car for a few years.How muchhp u think u got from longtubes? I probably won't do that yet b/c I'd either have to buy a smaller mid-pipe or have my mechanic cut and weld mine which could be a pin in the *** for all that money and not a ton of gain. This is a greatidea. I never thought that cams and heads were this cheap for our 4.0's. This help is greatly appreciated!!! I might not do the UDP since I have the shaker 500 and I heard people with it sometime have itbog out with the UDP.Definitly gonna do the DS too. Thanx again.
Old 08-27-2007, 01:09 PM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

Not bad. How hard is the install?
The install is probably something you want to give to a shop.

How much would it cost if a shop installs it?
I got quoted 6-8 hours.

Would I need to dyno tune it after the install?
You should get a dyno tune after the install, but I am not sure how much it is needed. I always see dynos saying "not optimized for heads and cams"

Is the reliability of the car still the same?
If the tune is safe, then yes.

reliability better than a Supercharger?
yes (after looking at this I should have done this maybe lol...but I am not a fan of being a pioneer...)

How much hp u think u got from longtubes?
I never put the LTs on, I basically ran out of money in my exhaust budget lol. For you right now, 5-6rwhp, with the heads+cams setup, who knows, probably like 10-15rwhp

I might not do the UDP since I have the shaker 500 and I heard people with it sometime have it bog out with the UDP
I had the UPD with the shaker500 and a GPS/DVD head unit, you will be fine for sure

heads and cam would probably net around 260-270rwhp then huh
it would be nice, but I would have to see it to believe it. remember that nobody has done what you are thinking about trying
Old 08-27-2007, 02:39 PM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

Thanx, I'll do a search on the necessity of a dyno tune for heads and cam then. 6-8hrs would probably equate to around $600-$800 where I live so that's pretty expensive. Maybe I could do this install with my dad. He used to take apart engines and put them together for fun, but he's always sick and lazy so I'm not sure, have to ask him. Longtubes would be an expensive install that's hard and some welding and cutting is needed so I'll see about them after I do heads and cam. For some reason I just don't want to trust UDP, I got a bad feeling about them, don't know why. Good reliability is what I want to here. Probably better than stock since there is more room for the cai and tuner to make power safer if it's forced in. Dyno tunes I here run around $600, is this right? And if I dyno tune, I'll probably have to travel a good 2-3hrs to find one near me. So, take a whole day out and do that? make an appointment for that? How long is the dyno tune and do people think they're worth it? Good info. Thanx again.
Old 08-27-2007, 04:43 PM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

Searched ph411 site and couldn't find the heads or cam is it only by phone? Shipping is gonna be about $500 for both? I think the $2k for the SSMStage3+heads and camwith returned cores is a great price. And if someone gained 40rwhp with the stage 2, stage 3 with cams must be sick. I must do it. Maybe sooner than March! Another ?,If I get dyno tunes,would that cancel out the usability of my sct tuner?Including install it will probably run a little over $3k with a dyno tune I here u an get for $200-$400. My gainIguess would be in the 60-90rwhp gains depending on if it's dyno tuned. Great ideas. Thanx again.
Old 08-27-2007, 11:52 PM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

If your dad can rip apart engines, that is pretty sweet. The dyno tunes can be pretty pricey. Generally they will run you less than that though, around $400. It will just take a few hours, and for mine I just sat there and watched while he did it. Mine took 2hrs. Just call up a place and ask for the info.

PH411 does not put in on their site, but if you call them they have a lot of info. It wont disable use of the SCT, it will just put another tune on it. Nothing complex. I would guess more than $3k, to be on the safe side I would put $4.5k towards the budget. It would suck to have the engine ripped open and not have the money to finish the job. 60rwhp is possible, maybe even 70rwhp, but I doubt that you will see 90... I am not saying it is impossible, but I would hate for you to get something under the wrong impressions.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:06 AM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

thanx for the help. I'm gonna go with SSM for the cam and heads set probably because they have a pretty cheap deal and a line of their product already on their site. Estimated Costs:
-Stage 3+heads and cam-$2,100 w/o returned cores-$1,700 w/returned cores
-Shipping-anyone got a ballmark, I'll look at the 3.8 sites who used them. My guess a couple hundread tops
-Install-$0-$850-depending on if my dad can install it with me.
-Dyno Tune-$400 approx.
So this project would run me no more than $3.9k and no less than $2.4k if my dad helps with the install. Not bad for the rw gains imo, It's gonna be at least 45-50flywheel hp gain, because that's what someone dyno's with the stage 2 heads. So upgrade to stage 2+ or 3(forgot what its called) and a moreagressive cam, I must be able to gain at least 70-80flywheel hp from this. Great idea after all. Thanx for the help again.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:53 AM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

No problem man, I am happy to have helped. Please keep us updated on the status of what is going on. I really would love to see what a N/A V6 could push.

Good luck and post [8D]

Quick Reply: Future Performance Mods: