Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Automatic transmission trouble!

Old 09-15-2007, 11:26 PM
mayur

Default Automatic transmission trouble!

Hi everyone, Im new to this forum. Im from India and have been attending school here in the US for the last year. I just had my brother's 2-year, 43000 mile old auto Mustang V6 shipped to me tonight.

Im facing a worrying transmission issue which my bro never had. Even while in 'D', the tranny seems to be shifting to neutral and staying there when I idle at a stop. It even shifted to neutral when I was off the throttle for a while crusing around 30 mph. It only goes back to gear when I rev it to around 2500-3000 rpm. Which means the car is leaping forward from rest (just like dumping the clutch at 3k rpm in first gear in a manual tranny car). I've only driven the car for 10 miles and this has happened for abour 4 times. It really worries me.

My brother says he refilled the transmission fluid just before shipping the car to me. He also got the fuel filter changed. He doesnt seem to have a clue as to why this is happening, but he asked me to 'reset' the auto transmission settings (put the key in ON position, keep the throttle pedal fully depressed for 5 seconds, key back to off position and then start the car after another 15-20 seconds) Does such a reset procedure really exist? He advised me to drive the car around for a couple of days and see if the tranny learns my style and behaves properly.

Anyway, will the problem go away on its own? Or is the tranny damaged? Please help, I was really looking forward to having a car and now this!

The car's pretty much stock except for an aftermarket exhaust.

Thanks
Mayur

P.S: Im sorry if my English is difficult to understand.
Old 09-15-2007, 11:42 PM
06jalmustang

Default RE: Automatic transmission trouble!

It sounds to me like you are low on tranny fluid.
Old 09-15-2007, 11:46 PM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

Actually if you have too much transmission fluid it could cause the same problem. I would take it to a mechanic who specializes in transmission and have them flush the fluid. They will be able to tell by flushing it, if there is anything wrong (ie. metal shavings).

If it doesn't clear up after a day or two of driving, I would take it straight in for service before you ruin your tranny.
Old 09-15-2007, 11:47 PM
optras
2nd Gear Member

First of all, your English is better than most people that were born here. I had a similar issue with my transmission in the F-150 that I used to drive. For some reason, it would sit in neutral after I stopped and then after I initially hit the gas, there would be a two or three second delay where it would do nothing and then it JUMPED into gear. It could be that there's something in the transmission itself (too much/little fluid) or maybe something was damaged while it was shipped. If it's not a huge issue right now and you don't feel like you're endangering others, I would try to put a few miles on it first, then maybe it will work itself off and if not, bring it in and let them have a look. Don't put too many miles on it though, because it may make the problem worse than it is now, depending on what the issue is. Keep us posted on what happens with it and best of luck.
Old 09-15-2007, 11:55 PM
mayur

Thanks for the replies. I'll be careful for the next couple of days and see how it goes. I hope its only a problem with the fluid level.

So optras, how did the solve the issue on your F-150?
Old 09-16-2007, 12:27 AM
optras
2nd Gear Member

unfortunately, they had to open the whole thing up and I never got a full explanation on what had happened. I suspect that there were metal shavings in the transmission, but I never found out for sure. All I know is that I was stuck with a $1050 bill for it. I highly doubt that it's what is going on with your Mustang. This went on for a good 6 months before they could figure it out. Works fine now, but I wish it would've been under warranty. If yours is and it's not just the fluid level, you should be good. Your exhaust wouldn't void anything in the tranny.
Old 09-16-2007, 10:13 AM
mayur

man, you scare me. Anyway, my car is out of warranty since it has done more than 36000 miles
Old 09-16-2007, 11:26 AM
Wickerbill
3rd Gear Member

It sounds to me to be your transmission slipping. Too low of a fluid level would cause this behavior. Slipping occurs when there is too much wear on the plates and discs inside the tranny. Find yourself a good mechanic to check this out soon. If he pulls the filter and finds fiber and/or metal you will need to find a rebuilder or buy another tranny. Either way get to a mechanic, the sooner the cheaper!
Old 09-16-2007, 04:02 PM
mayur

The problem continues to occur. The car even stalled at a signal today. The car was perfect a week ago. We flushed and refilled the tranny fluid and shipped the car from CA to NC. I wonder if he put in the wrong oil. Anyway, I'll visit a mechanic tomorrow and keep you guys posted. Thanks
Old 09-16-2007, 04:26 PM
nonstopred
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: optras

First of all, your English is better than most people that were born here.
..isnt the official language of india english anyway?

Hey, sounds wierd, I dont have the auto so I cant help you but hope everything works out

did you try bringing it to a dealership? just ask them about it, I'm sure they'll give u some insight on the problem

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Automatic transmission trouble!