Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

For those with a manual

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 10:28 AM
p51mstg
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: For those with a manual

I used to drive a fire truck that you could shift without using the clutch, but that's the only manual I've ever driven like that - never seen a car that would do it (without embarrassing myself). I didn'tthink the T5 woulddo it.

This T5 is actually better than my lasttwo Mustangsin one respect, because they moved 3rd over to where it should be. Both my 94GT and 86GT had weird spacing between 1st, 3rd and 5th - if I skipped 4th on a downshift, it was possible to go right to 1st (not good).

The only thing I don't like about this *new and improved* T5 is that I tend to miss the shift from 1st to 2nd under max acceleration. This isthe sameproblem that others have reported.

Edit: Maybe it's my imagination, or maybe it's the higher torque of the V8, but my two GT's seemed to be much easier for me to teach someone how to drive a manual tranny. I don't remember anyone ever being impressed with the manual transmissions in Fox or SN95 Mustangs, but I always considered them good for beginners.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:51 AM
Wickerbill
3rd Gear Member

Maybe it's my imagination, or maybe it's the higher torque of the V8, but my two GT's seemed to be much easier for me to teach someone how to drive a manual tranny
That is because it was a more powerful motor. When you ease out of the clutch the v8's have enough power to pull the car without almost any throttle. The smaller the engine the more throttle you have to give it to start pulling the car. This is on a flat ofcourse, if your on a hill thats a whole different matter.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:54 AM
ArcticFrog
2nd Gear Member

I find the shifting pretty notchy as well but I just figured it was what it was and got used to it. I've driven alot of different manual cars over the past couple decades and some are just smoother than others. The car I hadthe hardest time with was a 1987 Porsche 911 Carrera...VERY difficult to find those german gearsbut when you do, it was a fun FAST ride!

My biggest issue on this car wastrying to get into reverse. It seems on my car that if the shift is fighting going into R when I have the clutch completely depressed,then I let the clutch out just a little bit and the gear pops right into R. I don't know why that is because I'm not car-smart but at least I figured out the 'trick' to it so I don't have problems with it anymore.
Old 09-17-2007, 11:10 AM
laserred02
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ArcticFrog

I find the shifting pretty notchy as well but I just figured it was what it was and got used to it. I've driven alot of different manual cars over the past couple decades and some are just smoother than others. The car I hadthe hardest time with was a 1987 Porsche Carrera...VERY difficult to find those german gearsbut when you do, it was a fun FAST ride!

My biggest issue on this car wastrying to get into reverse. It seems on my car that if the shift is fighting going into R when I have the clutch completely depressed,then I let the clutch out just a little bit and the gear pops right into R. I don't know why that is because I'm not car-smart but at least I figured out the 'trick' to it so I don't have problems with it anymore.
that is certainly the "trick" to get the T5 into reverse. The same trick was employed on my 02 5-speed V6. After about 10k or so miles it gets easier, but every once in awhile you still have to employ the trick to get it into reverse. I to have on idea why this is.
Old 09-17-2007, 11:30 AM
beaustang
5th Gear Member

I installed the CHE K member brace and torque limiters on my car and the shifting improved a bunch, I would recommend it to anyone with a manual. I also have the hurst which I really like as far as throw distance.
Old 09-17-2007, 11:34 AM
acrokat
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sleeper07

it is true, you CAN shift a manual without using the clutch; however, you have to be really good at doing 'power shifts' and its really easy to screw up. you have to make your shift at the exact rpm required for whatever gear you're wanting to shift into, and that rpm is whatever you believe to be correct based on your experience with the car. but, assuming that you are correct in determining the exact time to make the shift, you must also be able to rip the shifter into the desired gear as fast and as hard as possible. any slight hesitation or lag or weakness in your shift will result in a lot of painful gear grinding. i personally dont recomend 'power shifting' because knowing that exact rpm range for each gear isnt usually consistant with every car due to driving conditions and situations and it may fluctuate accordingly. also, like i said before, any hesitation in the shift itself and you're screwed lol. not to mention that shifting normally is already clunky enough for us. genreally speaking, shifting without a clutch is something that a lot of truckers/semis do, but, if you can do it, it may save you some time in 0 to ? time. im curious to know if anyone on here has ever tried this in their car and if it is how they normally drive
I did a brief stint with a truck washing station at a local truck stop. A few times I was asked to move trucks around. I was told to start in 3rd gear(since I wasnt towing anything) and to only use the clutch when starting. I would run the RPM's close to max then ease the shifter into the next gear;no clutch needed. Big trucks have transmissions that are designed for clutchless shifting. Our T-5 transmissions are not. Feel free to try it out if you must but know that a new transmission is quite a bit more expensive than a new clutch.
Old 09-17-2007, 11:55 AM
Ken04
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sleeper07

it is true, you CAN shift a manual without using the clutch; however, you have to be really good at doing 'power shifts' and its really easy to screw up. you have to make your shift at the exact rpm required for whatever gear you're wanting to shift into, and that rpm is whatever you believe to be correct based on your experience with the car. but, assuming that you are correct in determining the exact time to make the shift, you must also be able to rip the shifter into the desired gear as fast and as hard as possible. any slight hesitation or lag or weakness in your shift will result in a lot of painful gear grinding. i personally dont recomend 'power shifting' because knowing that exact rpm range for each gear isnt usually consistant with every car due to driving conditions and situations and it may fluctuate accordingly. also, like i said before, any hesitation in the shift itself and you're screwed lol. not to mention that shifting normally is already clunky enough for us. genreally speaking, shifting without a clutch is something that a lot of truckers/semis do, but, if you can do it, it may save you some time in 0 to ? time. im curious to know if anyone on here has ever tried this in their car and if it is how they normally drive
this is a bit incorrect. Modern day syncro's in effect, spin the next gear as you're shifting into it. Power shifting isn't good for any transmission as it puts alot of strain on the syncro's, in effect eliminating their job and jamming the gears without the syncro being able to catch up. In the old days heavy duty truck transmission had to be 'double clutched' between gears, by letting the clutch out in nuetral it sped up the next gear you were going into. Race car drivers used to have to match engine speed to transmission speed on downshifts to lessen the shock on their transmissions and the driveline, you'd hear them blip the throttle between shifts. Ultra-modern automatics with paddle shifters often do this, for the same reason. It is very possible to shift without the clutch, if you do it slowly and 'feel' the gears come together. Pull gently out of one gear and just begin to engage the next, you will feel the syncro speed up the next gear and it the engine rpm is right it will slip into the next gear. If you're too slow and the engine rpms drop lower than the corresponding speed the transmission is spinning you will have to rev the engine a bit to get a match. But clutches are a couple hundred bucks, why bother ? Clutches, brake pads, tires, belts, all are wear items. They have a definite lifespan.
Old 09-17-2007, 12:22 PM
nonstopred
5th Gear Member

yeh this really bothers me...sometimes the shifting is really nice though, other times its crappy beyond belief. Going into first and reverse (no synchros) is even more of a hell. one time i thought it was in reverse and I started going but then as i released the clutch there was a lot of grinding ick. Now also, my friend in his car, downshifts into first? wtf? If i even dared doing that on this car a....it would not go in, it never goes in when im moving, and b. it would just be really odd Do any of you guys downshift to 1?
Old 09-17-2007, 12:26 PM
cookiemonster
2nd Gear Member

Love the "notchiness" in my v6 ... makes it feel that much more solid, imo.
Old 09-17-2007, 01:23 PM
Buckshot Barry
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: angera

I couldn't find this anywhere else...

I am not a car person. I do not know jack about cars. So I am asking this as someone completely and utterly ignorant of cars.

What the hell is up with the manual shifter on the v6? Ok, I've owned two other stick shifts. One, a '94 tercel which shifted smoothly but was a bit like pulling the crank at the slots (long wayto each gear.) My second was an '04 civic. Smooth, bee boo bop short distance to the next gear. Mustang? The first few days I had to search around for the gears. Ok, normal getting used to a new car. But damn, the thing is notchy, as in I have to push through one or two notches to get it in...and I have to really push it into position. Yes, the cluth is in when I shift. Will the thing loosen up over time or s this normal or do I have a lemon?
Angera, when was your Pony built.? It's on the door jam sticker. If it's post March'07 it should have the cross member brace. If it's before then, probably not. March '07 is when Ford started putting the cross member brace in like on the GT500 and convertibles. As mentioned in an above post, the crossmember / k member brace helps a lot. I also think our front wheel drives cars shift better from design.[/align]

Quick Reply: For those with a manual