Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

which plugs?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 03:45 PM
basketballord
4th Gear Member

Default which plugs?

I recently bought a set of Bosch Platinum +4 plugs, but as soon as I told a friend about it, he said he has heard nothing but bad about them. I think I have seen someone say the same thing on here about them now that I think of it. I have also heard that they work better on some engines than on others. What do you guys have to say? Will they be fine or should I take them back and get something else?
Old 09-17-2007, 04:01 PM
05MustangSally
4th Gear Member

Default RE: which plugs?

Those were the spark plugs I used last on my car. I only had them for 2 months and they went back almost 2 weeks ago. Before that, I replaced them not even 3 months before. I also noticed my gas to lost horsepower too. I decided not to use them anymore and and bought just the standrad Bosch plugs, not Platinum. We'll see how long these last. I was tired of spending so much on plugs that weren't great. I would recommend saving your money and buying the standard plugs IMO.
Old 09-17-2007, 06:32 PM
basketballord
4th Gear Member

Thanks, I think I might take em back if they aren't anything special and wear out so soon. Anybody else have an opinion or preference on which plugs I should use?
Old 09-17-2007, 06:58 PM
laserred02
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: basketballord

Thanks, I think I might take em back if they aren't anything special and wear out so soon. Anybody else have an opinion or preference on which plugs I should use?
autolite are good, ngk have a good rep as well. Bosch platinums are crap, I've never seen an electrode wear so bad. just my experience though
Old 09-18-2007, 12:02 AM
takotruckin
2nd Gear Member

only motorcraft plugs in a ford. the ignition was designed for motorcrafts, use them
Old 09-18-2007, 12:32 AM
basketballord
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: takotruckin

only motorcraft plugs in a ford. the ignition was designed for motorcrafts, use them
Do you work as a mechanic at a Ford dealership per chance?
Old 09-18-2007, 12:37 AM
laserred02
4th Gear Member

mechanic or not he has a point. the motorcraft plugs are actually really good. They are expensive, but they last a long time. I'm curious why you guys are changing your plugs already, you know the service life of the platinum plugs is 100,000 miles. Now not everyone waits this long, but 70-80 is easy with platinums.

anyways I'm just curious if you guys have a ton of miles on your cars, or have another reason for changing the plugs so soon.
Old 09-18-2007, 12:47 AM
basketballord
4th Gear Member

I have about 50K on my car. Are you saying our cars come from the factory with platinum plugs?
Old 09-18-2007, 12:54 AM
laserred02
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: basketballord

I have about 50K on my car. Are you saying our cars come from the factory with platinum plugs?
yes i am. look at your scheduled maintenance guide, 100k miles is the time for spark plug change.

btw how is the car holding up with 50k, any problems or still going strong.
Old 09-18-2007, 01:23 AM
basketballord
4th Gear Member

I just figure it's cheap insurance to replace the plugs now, they are a couple years old, can't do any harm to throw some new ones in.

And my baby is still going strong, stronger than ever with my recent TI CAI/tune install. Love it. Only problem I had was the infamous idle problem that struck several people on here, but that seemed to be a problem with one specific tank of gas, haven't had the problem since I used up that tank. I'm very happy with the reliability so far.

Quick Reply: which plugs?