Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

vortech vs procharger

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 05:32 PM
Jsierzega
3rd Gear Member

Default vortech vs procharger

i was looking into getting some sort of f/i around christmas time and had looked at the procharger aswell as the vortech systems. i know the vortech h/o system says it pushes out 330 to the crank on 10psi and the procharger pushes out 60-65% which comes out to 346.5 on 9psi. does anyone have these systems tht could varify these gains. or what other f/i systems give the most power. besides the powerhouse turbo
Old 09-23-2007, 05:56 PM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

Default RE: vortech vs procharger

The x-charger hi-po kit is $4,200 I think. Not sure what it make though, I think around those #'s.
Old 09-23-2007, 06:18 PM
basketballord
4th Gear Member

I am pretty sure the x-charger puts out less peak power than any of the centrifugal s/c's; however, it's easier to install (many people have done it themselves) and I believe the roots style builds the power sooner than centrifugal. But someone who has more experience with f/i can tell you better than I can.
Old 09-23-2007, 08:00 PM
forensicsteve
4th Gear Member

Don't know if this be helpful to you, since I don't know how the Procharger performs onthe 4.0L, butI had a Procharger and it gave theGT approx a 91% increase in hp (300 to 575 crank). It ran flawlessly for one year but I decided that aturbo was more inline with my hp goals. Don't know anything about the Vortech.
Old 09-23-2007, 08:04 PM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

The Vortech numbers on their site are messed up because their tune is so conservative. With a manual, you will see about 320 with the H/O Vortech and about 330 with the H/O Procharger
Old 09-23-2007, 08:23 PM
Jsierzega
3rd Gear Member

thnx chrisc
Old 09-24-2007, 09:12 AM
Dwisforme05
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: basketballord

I am pretty sure the x-charger puts out less peak power than any of the centrifugal s/c's; however, it's easier to install (many people have done it themselves) and I believe the roots style builds the power sooner than centrifugal. But someone who has more experience with f/i can tell you better than I can.
That is very true. but keep in mind that since its constantly on boost it is harder on the engine. if i ever go f/i im looking at the vortech or that new twister turbo kit when it comes out for the v6. depends on what my hp goals are when i get around 5k to spend lol.

if u are trying to decide between the two talk to some people on here that have them. i know trymy4.0 has a procharged v6 he lives in the atlanta area and ive seen his car a few time. Very well done, and the car sounds amazing. as far as vortech, i went for a ride in a 4.0 vert with a vortech and was VERY, VERY impressed. he was running 12 psi, and he runs 13.1's at the track.
Old 09-24-2007, 12:12 PM
basketballord
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Dwisforme05

ORIGINAL: basketballord

That is very true. but keep in mind that since its constantly on boost it is harder on the engine. if i ever go f/i im looking at the vortech or that new twister turbo kit when it comes out for the v6. depends on what my hp goals are when i get around 5k to spend lol.

if u are trying to decide between the two talk to some people on here that have them. i know trymy4.0 has a procharged v6 he lives in the atlanta area and ive seen his car a few time. Very well done, and the car sounds amazing. as far as vortech, i went for a ride in a 4.0 vert with a vortech and was VERY, VERY impressed. he was running 12 psi, and he runs 13.1's at the track.
The X-charger has a bypass valve that is suppose to keep it out of boost unless you get on it. Maybe someone with an X-charger can tell you exactly how that works/feels; i.e. 50% to thefloor it kicks in the boost? 80%?
Old 09-24-2007, 01:48 PM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

I dont get the guys who say that the X makes great low end power, then when people ask them if that is bad, then they say that they dont make that the low end power is limited because the bypass [&:] (and almost all superchargers have bypass vales, including the ProCharger and Vortech)

The best thing to do is to ride in a car with a roots charger and a centri charger. It does not need to be a 4.0 mustang, it doesnt even need to be a mustang. Just get a feel of how the power comes on, and base your decision on that. That is exactly what I did. I was really close to buying an X because everybody was raving about it, but after riding/driving a few different cars with either types of chargers, I decided the Centri was best for me. The forums are too populated with bias opinions that either go all one way, or all the other way.
Old 09-24-2007, 05:08 PM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

good advice, but if he can't do that, Explain to him how each charger works and feels as if he were driving them. Just trying to help and not everyone can find supercharged cars of variety to test drive.

Quick Reply: vortech vs procharger