Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

i need some knowledge on dual exhaust!

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 12:21 PM
Dirty Jersey Mustang

Default RE: i need some knowledge on dual exhaust!

what if i were to buy a set of gt take off mufflers. what else would i need to make it work. will most x pipes work for that scenario, or would my shop have to fabricate something?
Old 09-27-2007, 12:37 PM
banka87
4th Gear Member

You can buy a full conversion kit from Pypes on V6mustangstuff.com

It comes with everything you need, pretty cheap too. That's what I will be using in a fewweeks.
Old 09-27-2007, 12:39 PM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

I read a prettygood article about Y, X, and H pipes. The summary of that article was basically that Y pipes are factory, H pipes were meant to prevent backflow of exhaust and X pipes were just a better version of the H pipe.

Dennis, I am gonna have to disagree with the H vs X on sound. But one important thing about the article was they said an H pipe running on a car without enough backpressure could cause rwhp loss at higher rpms, thus the reason they invented the x pipe.

I am just going by what I read, it could all be wrong. But I look at it like this, Ford Racing came out with a dual exhaust for a 6'er and used the X pipe. They use the H pipe on the GT's.
Old 09-28-2007, 07:58 AM
SOHCman
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ODDYSEY

I read a prettygood article about Y, X, and H pipes. The summary of that article was basically that Y pipes are factory, H pipes were meant to prevent backflow of exhaust and X pipes were just a better version of the H pipe.

Dennis, I am gonna have to disagree with the H vs X on sound. But one important thing about the article was they said an H pipe running on a car without enough backpressure could cause rwhp loss at higher rpms, thus the reason they invented the x pipe.

I am just going by what I read, it could all be wrong. But I look at it like this, Ford Racing came out with a dual exhaust for a 6'er and used the X pipe. They use the H pipe on the GT's.
I agree with what ODDYSEY said.

I did not notice any 0-60 drop in performance (but the V6 programming is pretty doggy), but I definitely feel the added performance on the highway!

I can get instant throttle response and the auto trans will downshift 5th to 3rd and I get a serious kick in the @ss and off we go.

The sound, the look, and the little bit of extra performance on the highway (which you wouldn't get statistics on from a dyno test) make the duals the best mod for my Mustang.

Out of the 10-12 Stangs I run with, only 2 are louder, and they are both "built" 302 foxbodies.

SOHC
Old 09-28-2007, 08:12 AM
SOHCman
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Dirty Jersey Mustang

thanks for the responses, keep em coming. I'm tyring to soak up as much info as i can. Which setups have you guys had that you thought sounds the best. I'm hoping for a deeper sound, but not loud enough to get me pulled over all the time or something.
Hi Jersey,

My Pypes Street Pros are VERY deep at both low and mid-range RPMs.

Idle (and no-load revs, 4000RPM limiter) sounds better under load.
http://media.putfile.com/SOHCman---2...nd-Street-Pros

Low RPM, low-medium load: very deep sound
http://media.putfile.com/SOHCman-Rat...ws-at-2000-RPM

Low RPM, low-load to WOT in tunnel:
http://media.putfile.com/V6-with-Pyp...gh-Nice-Tunnel

0-80 acceleration:
http://media.putfile.com/SOHCman-Pypes-Acceleration

I don't have a vid of what it sounds like at 105 in 5th (3200-3400RPM) at medium load, but it is asDEEP as any V8 I've owned.

Whichever you choose, you will love the look and the sound difference over stock.

Oh, BTW, the Pypes have 4" tips.

SOHC
Old 09-28-2007, 11:37 AM
07lane40
3rd Gear Member

has anyone else had vibrations start after installing their dual exhaust? i got mine welded shut because i was told that would solve the problem and it went away for like a day, and then it came back. the rattle seems to come from just ahead and below the gearshift in the dash. i cant figure it out. im gonna go back home tonight and try taping some things down in the engine bay and looking under the car but if anyone else has any suggestions let me know.
Old 09-28-2007, 01:22 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

so basically, the performance differences in h, x and y are not significant on a N/A stang. so it comes down to sound and looks. IMO, the sound and looks is def. worth it as long as there isn't any noticeable loss in performance. i love my duals and it def. sets it apart from all the base mustangs on the roads. many compliments too!! if looks and sound is not a priority and all you care about is strictly performance and saving some cash, then stay single.
Old 09-28-2007, 04:42 PM
damquick1
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jrhykushi

i have the same dilemma as the poster. i am also pretty damn clueless about how dual exhausts work, but thanks 07lane40, youre post explained quite a bit of info

where do i get mustang gt exhaust systems?
im afraid all these aftermarket exhausts are gonna be way too loud [>:]
I can hook you up with a set of GT takeoff mufflers for $30.00 plus shipping, only have about 700 miles on them. PM me if your interested.
Old 09-30-2007, 08:34 AM
SOHCman
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 07lane40

has anyone else had vibrations start after installing their dual exhaust? i got mine welded shut because i was told that would solve the problem and it went away for like a day, and then it came back. the rattle seems to come from just ahead and below the gearshift in the dash. i cant figure it out. im gonna go back home tonight and try taping some things down in the engine bay and looking under the car but if anyone else has any suggestions let me know.
We all have various rattles and vibrations when switching over to aftermarket exhaust.

I've got the one in the radio area and the rear quarter window area.

Also can't keep change in my console... rattles and buzzes...

SOHC
Old 09-30-2007, 09:16 AM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

SOHCman, what r the 10 mustangs u ride w/that ur louder than? I'm curious. And if u could tell their set-ups too, that would be interesting.

Quick Reply: i need some knowledge on dual exhaust!