Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Supercharger? Yes or No?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 10:13 PM
mignella254
2nd Gear Member

Default Supercharger? Yes or No?

I have a friend who just bought a 06 g35, and I have been thinking about buying a supercharger. I want to slip it under the hood without him knowing and then woop his *** on the track. I am not doing this only for that reason, but I have been

wondering if my engine will last (years/ miles?) if I get a supercharger? Are there any kinds that wont give me 100000000hp, but instead, a small, moderate gain?

and what kind should I get if I already have a CAI and Tune?

I feel like I need to step my car up a notch. Any help or experience with superchargers would be appreciated, and if anyone knows where I can get a deal on a SC that would help my pockets stay full too. P.S.- I have a 2007 PP Auto, C&L CAI, Xcal 3, Flowmaster Duals.
Old 10-03-2007, 10:20 PM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Supercharger? Yes or No?

I would go with a Vortech H/O system, dyno tune, and 3.73 gears and a tlok. That will not just win the race, that will woop his ***.

I would not worry about engine life, as long as you stay out of boost, you are basically driving N/A
Old 10-03-2007, 10:31 PM
mignella254
2nd Gear Member

What about install, can I do that myself?

I hear x-chargers arnt to tough to install, anyone know anyhting about that?
Old 10-03-2007, 10:39 PM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mignella254

What about install, can I do that myself?

I hear x-chargers arnt to tough to install, anyone know anyhting about that?
Self install, X is the easiest. Procharger shouldnt be too bad either. The only thing about the Vortech is that you have to tap the pan, and I am not sure if you want to do that lol. However, just because the X is the "easiest" does not mean that any guy with no auto skills can (or should) install one lol. IMO going to a shop is the best. The X H/O kit will give you ~270 on an auto, and ~290 on an manual. A bolt on G will make the numbers of the standard X kit, so you want to go with the X.
Old 10-03-2007, 10:51 PM
mignella254
2nd Gear Member

Which X-Charger should i go with? (link?) An I already have a tuner and CAI, waht should I do about that?

Old 10-04-2007, 05:35 AM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

X-HO I believe costs $4,200 and I'm not sure they sell it w/o the tuner(u can always sell urs for a couple hundread and use the new one). The Vortech H/O system is good too($4,400 and should give u a little more gains-20rwhp more). The Vortech makes power throughout the rpm band and the X makespower down low/quick. Either of these systems will probably make u beat him by a couple/few cars. If u don'trace a lot, the engine will last as long as it would as if u didn't have the supercharger. With either charger, ur gonna need a t-lok to get power to both wheels(u could get gears too but that will add a $450 to ur budget). I'm not sure if u'll have wheel hop(people with superchargers clarify), but if u do rear lower control arms will fix that. If u have stock tires(same from the factory) change them to wider/stickier ones.Get the dyno tune after the charger's installed and u should be fine. If u want more power,get a hi-flow single muffler/maybe duals-10hp=single duals=?(single-$150-$180), shorty headers(or lt's if ur state allows it)-10hp($350-$500), and gears to get in ur power band quicker($450-$500 installed, do w/t-lok if u want them). Hope this helps!
Old 10-04-2007, 06:38 AM
GrayPony
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mignella254

Which X-Charger should i go with? (link?) An I already have a tuner and CAI, waht should I do about that?
You can buy either X kit without the tuner and yes you can easily install the kit yourself with basic hand tools. If your not running a less restrictive exhaust(single or dual) put that on your "to do" listwith the X. Personally I would go duals with and X or H.
http://www.explorerexpress.com/musta...s-c-86_87.html
With the increased low endtorque I would suggest a Trac Loc at the very minimum. Should you choose to change gears it would be cheaper at the same time because the rear will be apart. I suggest installing the X, getting your car on the dyno, track the car a couple of times and compare your dyno results/time slips.Use this infoto figure out where you want your car to be....then planthe mod pathto get there.

Old 10-04-2007, 10:10 AM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

CAIcomes off I think,Tuner is good for u to have already. X-charger hi-po seems good(wins a lot of street races compared to other superchargers due to maxboost hit quicker and more torque). Butwait, after thinking of what u want to do, Let me ask u a? before u do anything:
1. Will u be happy with 270-300rwhp(310-345hp crank)?
If not, u may want to look into powerhouse 411's turbo's($4k) and should make around25-40rwhp more persame psi range(ex. x-charger hi-po makes 270rwhp, turbo atsame psi makes about 300rwhp and the turbo will make 20rwtorque more too). But if u go thex-charger way and want a littler more boost, I think they sell a smaller(higher psi) pulley to up ur boost. Think about buying that before u buy the kit, my guess is the pulley will give u another 20-30rwhp(I think u want) for only another $100.Give usfeedback on this and we will help uout.
Old 10-04-2007, 10:45 AM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

At first I wanted to stay N/A, but after seeing Mrs Scarlett's video, and reading more I am really digging getting an X-charger. But trying to convince the wife of why I need to spend 4k, is a bigger feat than installing it
Old 10-04-2007, 11:22 AM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ODDYSEY

At first I wanted to stay N/A, but after seeing Mrs Scarlett's video, and reading more I am really digging getting an X-charger. But trying to convince the wife of why I need to spend 4k, is a bigger feat than installing it
Sounds hard.. I'm thinking, "X means xtremely necessary for ur car" or "Something went wrong with the engine, they say it needs this X-charger to work right".

Quick Reply: Supercharger? Yes or No?