Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

New To Mustangs

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 08:05 AM
Rdot9
DubStep Stu

Default RE: New To Mustangs

Well I'm 17, i dont need to have 300+hp, and when i do i can mod my car to be at that for less than buying a GT. If you have themoney and like the sound get the V8, if you dont mind too much about sound you can always get a V6 then aftermarket exhaust sounds good.
Old 10-11-2007, 08:20 AM
fullmonte60
2nd Gear Member

i think the 6 is great. it's my second one. another stripper i picked it up a few weeks ago. with rebates & invoice pricing i paid a hair over $17K after taxes & tags. only $1K more than i paid for my 2001 stripper. i timed it much better. the insurance is 1/2 the cost of gt insurance. no huge payment. mod it as you go. i look at it as my insurance savings pays for the mods.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:12 AM
Dwisforme05
5th Gear Member

i like having a six. yeah sometimes i wish i had that v8 growl, but with a good exaust on a six it comes pretty close id say. plus there is no better feeling then some guy coming up to you with an 8 cylinder ( older ones) and reving at you..then light goes green and your gone. many people underestimate the new 4.0L. the 3.8's gave v6 mustangs a bad rep. ive had alot of people, especially since when i moved to GA, come up to my car and say ohhh its a v6, and an AUTO TOO!!!! then i take them for a ride and it changes there mind. they dont expect it. especially with my tune the car pulls decently hard. now i just cant waite till i get my gears and t-lok! if you can afford it ( insurance, gas) get the 8. its a great car and powerfull. if you want something thats fun to drive, easily made quick i would get a six. great gas milage, insurance and they are just as nice looking.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:47 AM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

FIXED
ORIGINAL: optras

You really can't lose either way, but there is a difference. 300 HP>210 HP but it is a STRONG 210 HP and great for day-to-day driving.
That's HP as measured at the crankshaft - which helps car companies sell cars. Rear wheel HP (rwhp) is more important.

Personally, I have no regrets buying the 4.0L V6 (both times!). With a tune, CAI, gears, t-lok, and a few other goodies, my current best ET is 14.595, which is really good for a NA V6. I've seen S197 GT's run slower (poor driving to be sure). The 4.0L S197Stang is agreat platform, but it may not be what you ultimately want. I hate reading when members regret not buying a GT (for whatever reason). Life is too short to have regrets. Figure out your wants/needs for a car, and pick accordingly.

Again, no regrets here...
Old 10-11-2007, 11:31 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

I have done 15 sec 95 MPH 1/4s in my stock V6.
Go for the V8, you wont be disappointed.
Never heard anyone say they should have gotten
the V6 instead of the GT V8 but I have heard, I wish
I had gotten the V8 GT instead of the V6.
Old 10-11-2007, 11:36 AM
ALLSTOTT

yea i honestly wouldnt mind havin a 6 as long as it was quick when i needed it to be.. and i know u can make a six sound like a eight cuz my lifted montero has a six and i have ppl all the time ask if its an eight.. neway if u drive it "Normal as in not havin a Lead Foot" what kinda gas mileage do yall get... and what kinda mods and how much would it run to make it faster w/o doin a S/C or Turbo ?

PS do the 6's have LSD or Trac Control stock from the factory ?
Old 10-11-2007, 04:23 PM
ArcticFrog
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ALLSTOTT

yea i honestly wouldnt mind havin a 6 as long as it was quick when i needed it to be.. and i know u can make a six sound like a eight cuz my lifted montero has a six and i have ppl all the time ask if its an eight.. neway if u drive it "Normal as in not havin a Lead Foot" what kinda gas mileage do yall get... and what kinda mods and how much would it run to make it faster w/o doin a S/C or Turbo ?

PS do the 6's have LSD or Trac Control stock from the factory ?
My gas mileage doesn't seem to be much different than what the GT people post up from time to time. I have 99% city driving and I get 16-17 mpg. I've only crept up to 18-19 with a little highway driving thrown in here and there.

Anti-lock brakes (ABS)/Traction Control (TCS) is not stock, it's an option on the 6's as far as I know unless that's been changed on the 08's.

I'm sure there's others that can advise you well on mods to kick the 6 up a few notches...performance just isn't a priority for me on my car. I have a LOOOOONNNGGG list of appearance mods I want but I haven't figured out yet how to either A) talk my husband into letting me get them or B) get them anywayand then make them appear invisible to him when he looks at my car.
Old 10-11-2007, 04:25 PM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

ArcticFrog: Just tell him you are going to do it, and that's that
Old 10-11-2007, 05:13 PM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

Like arctic frog said, t/c is an option from the factory. U can get an lsd bought an installed for probably $400-$500. The hp is all based on how much u want. 210hp from the factory. U can get 240hp w/bolt-ons $700-$1k(cai/tuner/hi-flow muffler). But any more than that, ur gonna have to pay formore costlybolt-ons here and there.If ur looking for more like 300hp-450hp, u'll need f/i aka supercharger orturbocharger. They will run $3.4k-$5k+ shipped.Let us know what type of hp ur looking for and we'll help.
Old 10-11-2007, 08:18 PM
ALLSTOTT

id be happy with 240 .. what kinda mods can get me that without spendin over a 1,000 and not voiding a warranty ?

Quick Reply: New To Mustangs