Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Future Dilemma?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 07:50 PM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

Default Future Dilemma?

Early next yr, February/March, me and my dad r buying a 5.0 stick project car. We r going to work on it together and do heads/cam/intake andsome basic bolt-ons over the next yr or 2 of having it. When we're done byspring 2009, it will be pushing approx.330rwhp and 400rwtorque.I will be able to drive it sometimes, but I'm not sure if I will be able to whenever I want. U all no I have a 4.0 w/lots of bolt-ons and am keeping my car for at least 4yrs. ByJanuary 2009,I will be able to afford an X-charger andmaybe eventhe X-charger hi-po kit.Do u think I should buy the x-charger for my car next yr even if I have the abilityto take out the 330rwhp 5.0 acouple nights a week for fun or save it towards a future gt and modding that? My guess,is if I put a regular x-charger on my car it will be pushing 290-305rwhp and a hi-po x probably around 320-335rwhp. I already have all the supporting mods for it, so that's not a problem. The 4.0 is my DD.So, will I have to make transmission or other parts of my car stronger to handle that power? If not, I will defintily think about buying the x-charger. And does the x-charger need a dyno tune oris the tune fromexplorer express very reliable/good? Thanx for all the help aheadof time!
Old 10-14-2007, 07:59 PM
8cd03gro
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Future Dilemma?

ORIGINAL: SteelStang05

Early next yr, February/March, me and my dad r buying a 5.0 stick project car. We r going to work on it together and do heads/cam/intake andsome basic bolt-ons over the next yr or 2 of having it. When we're done byspring 2009, it will be pushing approx.330rwhp and 400rwtorque.I will be able to drive it sometimes, but I'm not sure if I will be able to whenever I want. U all no I have a 4.0 w/lots of bolt-ons and am keeping my car for at least 4yrs. ByJanuary 2009,I will be able to afford an X-charger andmaybe eventhe X-charger hi-po kit.Do u think I should buy the x-charger for my car next yr even if I have the abilityto take out the 330rwhp 5.0 acouple nights a week for fun or save it towards a future gt and modding that? My guess,is if I put a regular x-charger on my car it will be pushing 290-305rwhp and a hi-po x probably around 320-335rwhp. I already have all the supporting mods for it, so that's not a problem. The 4.0 is my DD.So, will I have to make transmission or other parts of my car stronger to handle that power? If not, I will defintily think about buying the x-charger. And does the x-charger need a dyno tune oris the tune fromexplorer express very reliable/good? Thanx for all the help aheadof time!
the hi-po will probably put down the numbers you predicted for the cali kit on a stick car. None of the x-chargers have made quite as high as you are predictiing yet. There is an intercooler setup coming for the x-charger though that will put you well into your goal power numbers and give you the potential to make some great power. There is a big thread on it on the "other" forum. PM me if you aren't sure what the other forum is and i will link you directly to it.

i would personally stick with the 4.0 instead of saving up and trading for a gt. You lose alot of money when you sell a car to buy a new one. If you don't have the car payed off, negative equity is no fun. You could overpower basic bolt on gt's with an x-charged 4.0, and run with cammed gt's if you get the intercooler setup.

edit: the tune that comes from explorer express/doug is very conservative, so you don't necessarily NEED dyno tuning, but i would suggest it in any forced induction application. You will only make more power and almost always be safer. Check out the x-charger group buy . If you can't get the money together quite in time, ask your parents for a loan or just get a job or something. You will end up saving quite a bit of money (up to 400 bucks) in the long run.

Old 10-14-2007, 08:42 PM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 8cd03gro

ORIGINAL: SteelStang05

the hi-po will probably put down the numbers you predicted for the cali kit on a stick car. None of the x-chargers have made quite as high as you are predictiing yet. There is an intercooler setup coming for the x-charger though that will put you well into your goal power numbers and give you the potential to make some great power. There is a big thread on it on the "other" forum. PM me if you aren't sure what the other forum is and i will link you directly to it.

i would personally stick with the 4.0 instead of saving up and trading for a gt. You lose alot of money when you sell a car to buy a new one. If you don't have the car payed off, negative equity is no fun. You could overpower basic bolt on gt's with an x-charged 4.0, and run with cammed gt's if you get the intercooler setup.

edit: the tune that comes from explorer express/doug is very conservative, so you don't necessarily NEED dyno tuning, but i would suggest it in any forced induction application. You will only make more power and almost always be safer. Check out the x-charger group buy . If you can't get the money together quite in time, ask your parents for a loan or just get a job or something. You will end up saving quite a bit of money (up to 400 bucks) in the long run.

Thanx for the help, GT won't come for4 years about either way I go. 4.0's paid off. I won't have near enough money for the x-charger till December 2008 and my parents aren't going to loan me $3k+ that I need. The main ? I had was though, Do u think I should buy the x-charger for my car next yr even if I have the abilityto take out the 330rwhp 5.0 acouple nights a week for fun or save it towards a future gt and modding that? And do u think my rwhpguess's in my 1st quote r reasonable w/my set-up of short headers, jba dual's, h pipe, and an aluminum driveshaft? If not what dou think I could expect w/either?
Old 10-14-2007, 09:45 PM
cacimar
5th Gear Member

i really dont know how much it cost to buy a xcharger but if you are gonna spend more than 3k including labor price i would rather go with a TURBO setup to make more power.
Old 10-14-2007, 10:44 PM
laserred02
4th Gear Member

this thread is irrelevant, you are talking about stuff that hasn't occurred and isn't set to occur for a really really long time. i would wait to worry about it until the time comes.
Old 10-15-2007, 11:58 AM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: laserred02

this thread is irrelevant, you are talking about stuff that hasn't occurred and isn't set to occur for a really really long time. i would wait to worry about it until the time comes.
I no, but I was bored and wanted to see what people thought.
Old 10-15-2007, 01:00 PM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

I know I am the type of person who plans things out well in advance, so I don't think it is irrelevant in the least. He is thinking ahead.
Old 10-15-2007, 01:42 PM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ODDYSEY

I know I am the type of person who plans things out well in advance, so I don't think it is irrelevant in the least. He is thinking ahead.
Thanx! I'm not the only one out there.
Old 10-15-2007, 02:05 PM
laserred02
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ODDYSEY

i disagree a tech forum should focus on tech, not what you might or might not be able to afford in 2009. sorry but for every 20 people I see post in this forum or the 94-04 6 cyl forum that are GOING to get a supercharger, maybe 1 does, and I'm tired of seeing threads about what people are going to do years in advance when most likely the topic will only become relevant when the cash is in hand and it is time to decide whether to throw it into a cd and save up for the GT or hit add to cart and buy the damn supercharger.

Old 10-15-2007, 02:08 PM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

You are talking about the future....just do what you want. If you think too hard about the ("but's" and "what if's")you will never be happy

(NO I AM NOT ENCOURAGING YOU TO TAKE OUT A LOAN FOR F/I)

Quick Reply: Future Dilemma?