Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

?'s on the X-charger!

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 12:29 PM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

Default ?'s on the X-charger!

?'s:
1. What is the difference between the hi-po kit and the regular kit?
2. What psi and size pulleyis each x-charger running?
3. With a bigger Bama pulley, what psi can I safley run?
4. How long do u think it would take for a mechanic to install one(I hear 6-8hrs for a reglar person)?
5. How does the wet x-kit work($450) and what is it's maintenence?
6. Can Doug(bama) make an aftermarkettune for me since I have extra mods(4.10's, shorty headers, duals, etc.)?
I'm thinking of getting onein the future and wanted to know a little about them. Ialready heard the regular x-charger makes260rwhp~(305hp crank)and the hi-po makes 290rwhp~(340hp crank). I hear the wet-x kit increases rwhp another 25-35hp(28-40hp crank).I'll probably get the hi-po butwanted to know a few things first.Thanx ahead!
Old 10-15-2007, 12:43 PM
8cd03gro
5th Gear Member

Default RE: ?'s on the X-charger!

1. The hi-po kit uses a cold air intake, while the cali kit uses the stock gt airbox.
2.Both kits come with the 3" pulley which makes 6-7psi
3. A smaller pulley makes more boost, not bigger, but a 2.8" should be fine with their tune and that maeks about 9 psi.
4.probably around 6 hours.
5. The wet-x kit is methanol/water injection and it cools IAT's to the point of almost being like an intercooler. You can increase timing with each kit using thissetup and not worry as much about heat soak. (more power more consistantly.)
6. you may want to just get dyno tuned. If you tell doug your mods when you order the kit, he can make a few tweaks for you, but nothing comapres to a dyno tune.

hope that helps.
Old 10-15-2007, 01:05 PM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 8cd03gro

1. The hi-po kit uses a cold air intake, while the cali kit uses the stock gt airbox.
2.Both kits come with the 3" pulley which makes 6-7psi
3. A smaller pulley makes more boost, not bigger, but a 2.8" should be fine with their tune and that maeks about 9 psi.
4.probably around 6 hours.
5. The wet-x kit is methanol/water injection and it cools IAT's to the point of almost being like an intercooler. You can increase timing with each kit using thissetup and not worry as much about heat soak. (more power more consistantly.)
6. you may want to just get dyno tuned. If you tell doug your mods when you order the kit, he can make a few tweaks for you, but nothing comapres to a dyno tune.

hope that helps.
Thanx! Helps A lot! I believe the nearest dyno tune to me is a 1/2 away, so I might just do that when the time comes.A couple more ?'s:
1. And approximately how much more hp would I get running the 9psi pulley on either kit?
2. I read somewhere but forgot the max rwhp our transmissions can take on a daily basis, with the hi-po, bigger pulley and wet-x kit I would probably be around 360-385rwhp, Is that too much hp for the transmission or any other of my car's supporting components to take on a daily basis(lets say one wot a week)?
3. After above is answered, what about if I had 330-355rwhp?
Thanx ahead of time!
Old 10-15-2007, 01:29 PM
GrayPony
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SteelStang05

2. I read somewhere but forgot the max rwhp our transmissions can take on a daily basis, with the hi-po, bigger pulley and wet-x kit I would probably be around 360-385rwhp, Is that too much hp for the transmission or any other of my car's supporting components to take on a daily basis(lets say one wot a week)?
Thanx ahead of time!
Your estimateisincorrect and way high. To date the highest HP (dyno sheet documented)Hi-Po with the 2.8 pulley and water injection is 310. There is an intercooler in development that should unleash the rest of the X's power. (the test results were great)
Old 10-15-2007, 01:34 PM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GrayPony

Thanx ahead of time!
Your estimateisincorrect and way high. To date the highest HP (dyno sheet documented)Hi-Po with the 2.8 pulley and water injection is 310. There is an intercooler in development that should unleash the rest of the X's power. (the test results were great)
What was his other mods? Looking to fix my guess.
Old 10-15-2007, 01:34 PM
schapman
4th Gear Member

Not sure where your coming up with those numbers? they are to high...you cant just add hp together from other aftermarket parts. I'd say 320rwhp is the highest your going to seewith an interciooler that isnt available.
Old 10-15-2007, 01:41 PM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

these were my calculations, so someone just correct them for me or tell me where I'm wrong:
hi-po kit 290rwhp+20rwhp(9psi pulley)+25-35rwhp(wet-x-kit)+15rwhp(duals)+5-10rwhp(shorty headers)=360rwhpon a dyno tune or standard tune?
Thanx ahead!
Old 10-15-2007, 01:57 PM
schapman
4th Gear Member

I would guess the Hi-Po kit comes with the smaller pulley as standard. that just my guess since I dont have it. the wet kit doesnt add 25hp. Again I think the300-310rwhp is the highest Ive seen and thats with the wet system. why are soset on adding up the horsepower numbers to come up with a hp number. A dyno will show you moreabout the performance thatjust a hpnumber. remember its the total area under the line that counts not just a hp number...also the torque number/area under the line is what your interested in.torque is what you feel forcing you into the seat not hp.

these were my calculations, so someone just correct them for me or tell me where I'm wrong:
hi-po kit 290rwhp+20rwhp(9psi pulley)+25-35rwhp(wet-x-kit)+15rwhp(duals)+5-10rwhp(shorty headers)=360rwhpon a dyno tune or standard tune?
Thanx ahead!
Old 10-15-2007, 02:10 PM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

Thanx! I understand it now! So, 300-310rwhp is wet kit and hi-po kit guess. So woulda guess of seeing 325-330rwhp on my auto w/duals and headersbe close? I no the torquethrows u in ur seat,but I was wondering about rwhp #'s to see ifI would have any other powertrain or drivetrain problems with this rwhp and I could guess the torque # if I had the rwhp one. Thanx Again!
Old 10-15-2007, 02:21 PM
GrayPony
4th Gear Member

The cars that were dyno'd had exhaust mods and Doug found that shorty headers made very little HP over the stock manifolds. (No one hasdyno'd long tubes with the X yet.)

Quick Reply: ?'s on the X-charger!