Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

X-charger

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 09:13 PM
blackstang14
2nd Gear Member

Default X-charger

I have 2 questions:

1. I was told the only difference between the California and High Output was the air intak. If that is so, could I order the California model and use my existing cold air intake

2. Since the new intercooler is on the horizen, would it be smarter to wait for the package or can I instal the X now and add the intercooler later?

Thanks
Old 10-21-2007, 09:30 PM
Bandit111
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: X-charger

Good questions.

The hi-po has it's own tune premade for the 2.8 or 3.0 pulley.edited:as it was kindly pointed out.

I have heard dougs tunes are fairly spot on and quite safe,but i will custom tune in the end.I have decided to dyno and run a/f checks after the hi=po will custom tune.

Intercooler-I hope it is priced the same either way,so it would be a nice upgrade package with no pressure to get it right away.

Correct me if i'm wrong ,i have read up alot on it since i now have one waiting for install-
Old 10-21-2007, 09:31 PM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

1) there is also the different pulley and different tune. your existing intake will not fit because of the different location

2) probably will be cheaper to buy them at once
Old 10-21-2007, 10:33 PM
Rhino77
2nd Gear Member

I think I'm gonna hold off on pulling a loan out, until the Xcharger is released with the IC, I just hope it is legal in Cali when it is released. Right now the 91 bama torque tune and CAI has me pretty content, although I'm gonna uprade to 3.73's in a month or two.
Old 10-22-2007, 10:25 AM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

An aftermarket CAI will NOT work with he X-Charger.

The stock 4.0L V6 has the throttle body mounted dead center atop the engine. The "X"relocates the throttle body about 1 foot to the drivers side of the car, and 1 foot farther back, Therefore a CAI designed for the stock location will be the wrong size/shape.

Be prepared to wait on the intercooler. That is still very much a development project, and there's no accurate way to judge when/if it'll be available.
Old 10-22-2007, 10:45 AM
Bandit111
2nd Gear Member

Hey torch,do you have some inside info there on the intercooler?Please do share on the timeframe,it only seemed a minor adjustment was needed to make it work,or a new hood,lol.
Old 10-22-2007, 12:06 PM
schapman
4th Gear Member

There's already an intercooler for the xcharger. Its been installed and tested. Only problem is you cant close your hood.

ORIGINAL: Torch_Vertaftermarket CAI will NOT work with he X-Charger.

The stock 4.0L V6 has the throttle body mounted dead center atop the engine. The "X"relocates the throttle body about 1 foot to the drivers side of the car, and 1 foot farther back, Therefore a CAI designed for the stock location will be the wrong size/shape.

Be prepared to wait on the intercooler. That is still very much a development project, and there's no accurate way to judge when/if it'll be available.
Old 10-22-2007, 12:43 PM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: schapman

There's already an intercooler for the xcharger. Its been installed and tested. Only problem is you cant close your hood.

ORIGINAL: Torch_Vertaftermarket CAI will NOT work with he X-Charger.

It's on the market? If not, then it's still in development. Site for the intercooler info?
Old 10-22-2007, 04:05 PM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Bandit111
Hey torch,do you have some inside info there on the intercooler?Please do share on the timeframe,it only seemed a minor adjustment was needed to make it work,or a new hood,lol.
No "inside info" here beyond the fact I was one of the first people to express interest in the X-Charger when it was in development, and I have a pretty good idea of the way Dave Vanek works (Dave is the owner of Explorer Express and developer of the X-Charger).

Dave will not rush something out just because there's interest to make a quick buck. He will refine this design until it's 100% rightand thoroughly tested. Quality takes time.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:29 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

Here is the information on it posted by Navbtcret, the test mule for the Xcharger intercooler.

ORIGINAL: Navbtcret

Well it is time to let the cat out of the bag. I was in Alabama, at Bamachips, this past weekend installing an inner cooler on the car. Now do not get too excited yet because the cooler is still to thick to close the hood but a new design is already in the works. I was crying all day Saturday as we were removing it and putting my car back to the way it was when I drove down.

Now for the good news, we tested it anyways to see what the gains and temps would be to see if it is worth pursuing and the answer YES. We saw a 37 rwhp gain and I believe it was a 44 rwtq increase with the 2.6 pulley on the car. The inlet temps never got above 128* and this was doing multiple back to back pulls with less than 5 minutes between pulls. Just long enough for Doug to make some adjustments and hit it again. With the 2.6 pulley we could only get the boost to 11 psi ofr two reasons, the first the cooler itself lowers the boost due to the restriction and second the parts stores did not have a belt short enough in stock to keep the belt from slipping some. The tensioner was just too loose so there is more to be had here, probably anther psi but not much more I think.

The results with the 2.8 pulley wrere great also, I believe we saw a 26 rwhp gain and 33 rwtq gain but the same problem with the belt we could not even get to 8 psi boost.

I do not know when the new cooler will be ready or when the system will be available for sale but I would think it will be before next track season. The redesign is going to try and make this fit under the stock hood as well. I do not know if that will be able to happen but that is the plan.

I know there will be a ton of questions and I will try to answer all of them. Please do not flood Dave and Doug with emails and phone calls about this, it will only slow down progress on getting it done. I know as much as they do right now and if I find anything new out I will post it right up as this is not a secret project any longer.

Also when we were testing the outside temps were in the 90's and very humid.

Enjoy the photos.

Quick Reply: X-charger