Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Make sure your airbox is secure!

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 02:46 PM
PonyUp
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Make sure your airbox is secure!

Well, yeah, It was last changed by the dealer. They have all my info in the computer, so hopefully will be able to find the papers.

Yppah Neewollah!!

Old 10-31-2007, 02:50 PM
lrgnation
4th Gear Member

The MAF can not be cleaned its a hot wire type

And the tb should not be cleaned either, you risk damaging the throttle body, tps, and the electronic throttle when cleaning it.
Old 10-31-2007, 03:01 PM
Wickerbill
3rd Gear Member

I would be more concerned about all the dust and debris that was being pulled into your cylinders. I wouldnt be surprised if your engine started burning oil now. The rings will be the first thing to go and I would say the cylinder walls are scared by now if it ran long enough to block the filter enough to smother the engine. And I would say the dealer is right on with their diagnosis, thats exactly how one will do without getting enough air. When I am testing engines I build, especially diesels, if the electrical shut off doesnt kill the engine you can take a flat piece of wood and hold over the intake and that will shut off the engine as fast as turning a key.
Old 10-31-2007, 03:07 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

sucks that happened but that's a perfect example of why I check under the hood anytime someone messes with my car. I'll do it either before I leave the shop or as soon as I get home. Too many stories of how this or that was forgotten about or how some overly busy or just plain lazy dude forgets to do something when they're done working on the car.
Old 10-31-2007, 03:21 PM
ArcticFrog
2nd Gear Member

I like how the dealership I take mine to has a big window from the waiting room area looking out over the bays where they do the servicing (in the quick-lube area anyway, not the regular service dept). I'm always standing at that window watching them service my car. They know I do it, they turn and look at me after they feel my eyes boring into their backs [sm=smiley22.gif] I like to think it makes them a little more conscientious about what they're doing.

I hope you can hold the dealership at fault to the fire for this. No way should you have to pay for their error!
Old 10-31-2007, 03:46 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Wickerbill

I would be more concerned about all the dust and debris that was being pulled into your cylinders. I wouldnt be surprised if your engine started burning oil now. The rings will be the first thing to go and I would say the cylinder walls are scared by now if it ran long enough to block the filter enough to smother the engine. And I would say the dealer is right on with their diagnosis, thats exactly how one will do without getting enough air. When I am testing engines I build, especially diesels, if the electrical shut off doesnt kill the engine you can take a flat piece of wood and hold over the intake and that will shut off the engine as fast as turning a key.
yeah really.....there are a lot of concerns with the car now. really sucks *** and hopefully they cover all damages.
Old 10-31-2007, 07:48 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

My bad.. I thought I heard of others cleaning them.

Stuff like this makes me paranoid. I brought my truck to a carx one time because I was about to go on a 600 mile trip.
The retard forgot to put the dipstick back in.. and left a spray can of something in the engine bay. I noticed something wrong when my hood was slightly lifted on one side [:@] ... It didn't occur to the jackass that the hood didn't close properly because he left something in the bay. I have know idea what the hell he was doing with the spray can... he was just supposed to rotate the tires and change the oil.

ORIGINAL: lrgnation

The MAF can not be cleaned its a hot wire type

And the tb should not be cleaned either, you risk damaging the throttle body, tps, and the electronic throttle when cleaning it.
Old 10-31-2007, 07:52 PM
oshkoshbajawsh
I ♥ Acer

wow similar thing happened to me awhile back...i threw a code. went to the dealer.. they spent 2 hours trying to figure out the code... finally came to me and said they are charging me for 2 hours of labor and they found the last place that did an oil change didnt secure the air box... i screamed at them for about half an hour got my car back free of course, moved on to a different dealer, and i must say the best dealership i have ever been to..
Old 11-01-2007, 11:11 AM
Wickerbill
3rd Gear Member

I have know idea what the hell he was doing with the spray can... he was just supposed to rotate the tires and change the oil.

It was either a spray can of brake cleaner or ether I would guess. Mechanics,myself included, use this alot to clean up small parts like a drain plug,or to dry oil off our hands. I would say this is what he had.Just though I would kinda clear up the reasoning he would have had a spray can under your hood. Still makes for a idiot though! lmfao

Old 11-01-2007, 11:19 AM
Wickerbill
3rd Gear Member

wow similar thing happened to me awhile back...i threw a code. went to the dealer.. they spent 2 hours trying to figure out the code... finally came to me and said they are charging me for 2 hours of labor and they found the last place that did an oil change didnt secure the air box... i screamed at them for about half an hour got my car back free of course, moved on to a different dealer, and i must say the best dealership i have ever been to..

If you brought your car to my garage and I spent 2 hours diagnosing the problem and fixing the problem, 2 hours I could have spent on someone else car that would pay, I dont care how much you would have screamed at me you wouldnt have gotten your car back until I was paid. And this problem wasnt even caused by the place you took it to have fixed??....lol Im sorry but its people like you that make us raise our labor rates. I deal with people like this on a daily basis and gets very frustrating everyone thinking you should fix their car and not charge them anything because someone else worked on it and broke it. If I get someone that comes back to me and the problem is something I caused, ofcourse I would have made up the work for free of charge, but I wont if it is something someone else broke.

Quick Reply: Make sure your airbox is secure!