Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Painting Calipers?.....

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 12:01 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

Default Painting Calipers?.....

just wondering from those of you who have already done it, is it a simple thing to do or is there some difficulties in painting them? i see the paint kit at auto parts stores and i've noticed some stangs on the road with them painted and it looks so much more "performance" looking. now i want to do mine. any tips? thanks.
Old 11-06-2007, 12:12 PM
banka87
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Painting Calipers?.....

Just let it dry for a couple hours before driving it. By a couple hours, I mean all night.

Some guys have said they let it sit for 5 hours and it was fine.
Old 11-06-2007, 12:58 PM
Wickerbill
3rd Gear Member

Ive not done this mod, yet, but with as hot as the calipers get during normal driving, I would let it sit at least overnight. I know that the paint kits for calipers are high heat, as engine paint is, but this means high heat resistent after the paint cures. Some paints take as long as 48 hrs to cure. Also I wouldnt want any brake dust contaminating the paint, which would happen if you drive it with the paint still green. What color are you going with sancho? Red or black would look sweet on your black car. Anyone out there with suggestions of what color calipers would look good with alloy paint??
Old 11-06-2007, 01:04 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

I did one at a time.. use the GSR (sp?) kit (brush on).. and it took me about 5 hours with two coats each. I love the way it looks.. and I have not had any problems keeping them clean or with chiping.

One word of advise... clean, clean, clean... You have to really clean the calipers other wise it will flake off. Pics in my sig link and gallery.

ORIGINAL: Sancho805

just wondering from those of you who have already done it, is it a simple thing to do or is there some difficulties in painting them? i see the paint kit at auto parts stores and i've noticed some stangs on the road with them painted and it looks so much more "performance" looking. now i want to do mine. any tips? thanks.
Old 11-06-2007, 01:09 PM
optras
2nd Gear Member

wheelskin.com sells a few different colors of oem-style paint colors (vista blue, tungsten, etc.) specifically for your brake calipers. Don't have them myself but some people seem to like it.
http://wheelskin.com/WordPress/2007/...-paint-colors/
good luck
Old 11-06-2007, 01:19 PM
banka87
4th Gear Member

I will be going with the blue paint kit sold at autozone.
Old 11-06-2007, 02:47 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Wickerbill

Ive not done this mod, yet, but with as hot as the calipers get during normal driving, I would let it sit at least overnight. I know that the paint kits for calipers are high heat, as engine paint is, but this means high heat resistent after the paint cures. Some paints take as long as 48 hrs to cure. Also I wouldnt want any brake dust contaminating the paint, which would happen if you drive it with the paint still green. What color are you going with sancho? Red or black would look sweet on your black car. Anyone out there with suggestions of what color calipers would look good with alloy paint??
i'm thinking black most likely but i'm also considereing blue. i know the black will help my wheels pop much more but ima take some side pics and change the caliper color in photoshop and see which looks cooler. thank god for photoshop . but yeah, i have my daily driver ranger so i wouldnt be driving my stang soon after painting. i will give it as long as it needs to cure.
Old 11-06-2007, 03:00 PM
p51mstg
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Sancho805

ORIGINAL: Wickerbill

i'm thinking black most likely but i'm also considereing blue. i know the black will help my wheels pop much more but ima take some side pics and change the caliper color in photoshop and see which looks cooler. thank god for photoshop . but yeah, i have my daily driver ranger so i wouldnt be driving my stang soon after painting. i will give it as long as it needs to cure.
I'm leaning towards black,butwindveil blue might look nice, too. I think black might look better, though....
Old 11-06-2007, 03:08 PM
Fyrewalker
1st Gear Member

This is a very easy mod, the kit comes with everything you need (duplicolor). Make sure you clean everything well, I didnt bother with the tape, I took my time and used the brush provided. I put it on STUPID heavy, and did 3 coats each, not really letting it dry all the way in between, probably took 30 minutes per wheel. Let it sit overnight. It looks great, I painted mine red, on a black car. Brake dust isn't an issue, whatever I do get, washes very easily off because of the glossy surface.

note-it was easier for me to blot it on with the brush instead of actually applying it by strokes. The paint provided in the kit is enough to do 2 cars I would think. Like I said, I did multiple coats and very heavy each time and still had almost half of the paint left when done.
Old 11-06-2007, 03:58 PM
rmays06
5th Gear Member

Did my calipers white to be differnt and it stood out. I really liked how it looked but I will never do white again....lol
Be different go to autozone and they have about 15 different high heat colors and when your finished get high heat clear too for a little extra shine in the spray. Good luck!

BTW fryewalker you stole my avatar....!

Quick Reply: Painting Calipers?.....