Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Dash noise or rattle

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 08:44 AM
happy_pony

Default RE: Dash noise or rattle

My '06 pony was diagnosed with the following:[/align]1) rattle behind the dash - sounds liketachometer;[/align]2) door rattle - there is aplastic insert right in the middle of the door panel, it's easy to take it out, i used electric tape to put some pressure on latches, fixed the problem [/align]3) my leather insert around the shifter makes this noise when on first and second gears - don't know how to fix it.... [/align]
Old 11-18-2007, 09:16 PM
oi8achevy
2nd Gear Member

i treat the shift boot with a healthy dose of armor all to stop the squeaky boot noise.
Old 11-19-2007, 11:38 AM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: oi8achevy

i treat the shift boot with a healthy dose of armor all to stop the squeaky boot noise.
or some mcdonald's french fry grease. keeps your car smelling yummy also....
Old 11-19-2007, 02:56 PM
hataap
3rd Gear Member

i have rattles as well, but i just turn my music up..haha
Old 11-20-2007, 12:56 PM
amptor
2nd Gear Member

Mine's in for repair to that dash problem, where it sounds like the noise is emenating from the center of the controls. Will let you guys know how it turns out but the dealer got rid of most of the rattling already so I'm sure when I get it back, the car won't make any noise at all any more from the interior. They're replacing that and I think the passenger side window moulding. I had more rattles than I thought apparantly.
Old 11-20-2007, 08:31 PM
amptor
2nd Gear Member

Well I got it back and the tach still rattles with a new cluster. This isn't the noise I was looking to eliminate though, so I dunno why they bothered putting a cluster in.

Anyhow now the big chrome trim piece has a scuff on the inside bottom corner, looks like it mates real close to the dash. so getting that sorted out, I think the next car I'll buy will be a ford.

Also I'd suggest anyone looking at rattles, don't go in to get it fixed unless it is a loud rattle. There are some rattles in there that probably can't be fixed, this car shakes a lot more than a 350Z... as it is a muscle car, not a luxury sports car (it sort of is luxury in some ways though).
Old 12-13-2007, 12:08 AM
amptor
2nd Gear Member

Ok NOW I got the car back with the instrument cluster bezel replaced due to the bottom getting scuffed during installation of the instrument cluster. There's still a loud rattle that is definitely coming from the radio compartment, but from my experience with trim on the dash, yet not a near heart attack though (I didn't build this car so I don't love it THAT much but close I'm just going to take the radio out and see if I can fix the rattle myself. Was worth a shot but I guess new instrument cluster isn't a bad thing.
Old 12-13-2007, 10:47 AM
MustangMiMi

My 05 rattlesbehind the radio also. I contribute this to rough idle. We it shakes somethings gonna rattle...........
Old 12-13-2007, 11:12 AM
theresa
4th Gear Member

My doors both rattle behind the inside door handle. It started when I armor alled it. I have to reach in there
and push the little black "credit card looking" thing backwards. It's kinda funny, when my son is in the passenger's
side he will fix his side before we get out of the driveway. I need to fix it.
Old 12-13-2007, 12:38 PM
amptor
2nd Gear Member

yeah my doors rattle too sometimes, but the rattles in this car are intermittant. When I got it back from the dealer last night, the big rattle was not prevelant but I know they didn't fix it. It's ok though I've read a lot about this 4.0 and apparantly it is rough. But I should've expected this from a large american motor anyway. My sister's fiero had a 4cyl and it was big for a 4 and that sucker was insane loud for a modern car. What steered me away from the V8 on this mustang were a couple things, one a V8 should be smooth since it has more cylinders but everyone's like 'oh wow it has that muscle car sound' which is good but that means the cabin is going to be noisy so might as well get a 6. also it doesn't have quad cam. but maybe I want too much well overall I'm pleased with the V6 and it is very fast anyway.

so yeah next weekend i'm going to take off the fascia and look around maybe I just need to tighten a screw. It doesn't look complicated to get in there, just will have to be careful.

Quick Reply: Dash noise or rattle