Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Cold Air Intake

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 09:40 PM
swordjr24

Default Cold Air Intake

My fiance has a 2005 v6 mustang and she really wants a cold air intake but she said someone told her that she has to get a tune or something for it. I have a 03 cobra and didnt need a tune for mine so i was wondering if that was true for the newer models with the v6? thanks!
Old 11-14-2007, 09:57 PM
samv1368
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Cold Air Intake

You dont have to tune it but you will get more power and better results for the intake if you do, when I got my intake i didnt get the tune and its a pretty noticable diff. even without the tune, but you might want to try to get a tuner later on down the line.
Old 11-14-2007, 10:12 PM
poohflingr
2nd Gear Member

I'm not sure about the V6 05+ stangs but my 06 GT had to have the tune because the engine is factory tuned to only take in so much air. If you don't get a tune and get the cold air intake it makes the car run lean and your air to fuel ratio is all screwed up. The car actually goes into what's called "limp home mode". But like I said, I don't know if it applies to a V6. That being said, the K&N cold air intake makes one that doesn't need a tune.
Old 11-14-2007, 10:43 PM
my first mustang
3rd Gear Member

vmptuning.com has a rather inexpensive cai for about $105.00(combination stock & aftermarket parts)but you still need a tune to get the most out of it. Talk to Justin and he will set you straight. I would save and get both at the same time. Check out his 4.0 V-6 performance package. I have one on my 05 automaticand it makes one hell of a differance.
Old 11-14-2007, 10:54 PM
nonstopred
5th Gear Member

yeh, there are some that will run without a tune, but they do not provide much gains. Also, they are not good for the engine. There are also intakes that require tunes, due to larger Mass air sensor housings. These will provide the highest gains. You can get decent gains from just a tune, in case she wants to add the intake in the future.
Old 11-15-2007, 12:21 AM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

there are plenty of "no tune" intakes out there: K&N, S&B, aFe, AEM, MMR, MRT and several more companies i cant remember right now that make "no tune required" intakes. all of these use the stock size diameter MAF housing so that it doesn't trick out the sensor and computer from the faster, less restricted incoming air. other intakes such as the Demolet, C&L, VMP, JLT, Steeda, etc. use oversized MAF housings and require a tune to compensate for the faster, higher VOLUME of incoming air. if no tune is made, your car will run lean and that could be hazardous to your engine. even though "no-tune-required" intakes can run without any programming, you can still load a performance tune with one of these intakes and yield better gains as compared to a tune and just the factory air box.

*NOTE: although C&L makes one the largest intakes where a tune is an absolute MUST, i saw on their website that they now include with their kits a "no-tune-required" interchangeable insert that decreases the internal diameter of the MAF housing section to factory size. this allows you to run a C&L without a tune. C&L is one of the best, if not THEE best, intakes out there and this a cool feature if you decide to custom tune it down the road. you most likely wont have a need to upgrade your intake like i have already done. good luck.