Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Want to Dual Exhaust, but there's a wee problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 05:49 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Want to Dual Exhaust, but there's a wee problem

duals have more overall impact than an intake without a tune. i'm just saying .
Old 12-21-2007, 05:55 PM
bds95stang
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: teetertotter

ORIGINAL: xyster

^ Wow nice comment... Nice to see someone is pretty smart and narrow minded. Stuck in the right lane are ya? Gluck to ya!

Anyhow, don't be afraid to make any cuts to your rear bumper. Get the template and just follow directions! Get some sandpaper to smooth out the hole when you are done or it will have those little frayed edges all around it from the cutting.

Don't spend the money for a GT bumper... someone said all this before but if you are REALLY scared, take the car over to an exhaust shop and have them install everything for you as well as cut the hole for you. Just make sure to give them the template and any directions etc.

Good luck!

Nope, just practical when comes to a 6 banger.

practical?..what does that have to do with guys wanting to mod out and have fun with their stangs?..just because your the lameo who dosent want to spend a few hundred bucks on a better exhaust dosent mean that we are impractical..i spent 200 on my dual magnaflows..thats not alot of money..seeing as i paid straight up 19066 for my car..and all my motocross bikes..i dont see how 200 isnt practical..take a look at motocross bike exhaust pipes..a top of the line pro circuit pipe can run ya 800!!..now thats pretty impractical seeing as you dont gain that much HP at all...but i dont knock on the guys who buy them..cause they sure do look cool!
Old 12-21-2007, 06:14 PM
Pantera72
4th Gear Member

I don't know why spend money and put dual exhaust on a sixer. Better mpg? Do you put on the GT emblem too?
According to your signature you have a CAI. Hmm, you trying to be faster or something? Do you have a GT emblem as well?
Old 12-21-2007, 06:58 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Pantera72

I don't know why spend money and put dual exhaust on a sixer. Better mpg? Do you put on the GT emblem too?
According to your signature you have a CAI. Hmm, you trying to be faster or something? Do you have a GT emblem as well?
Old 12-21-2007, 07:03 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

So are you saying all the other brand sixers that comewith duals shouldn't have them? Like Acura's, Ford Fusion, Edge....I could go on and on, but I think you get my point!
Ford messed up when they didn't put duals on the V6. To remedy that, they now offer a Performance Package for the '08 Mustang V6, which now WE can purchase too!
So, do you think it's still dumb?

As far as the GT emblem goes, I like the Tribar much better thank you!
Old 12-21-2007, 07:12 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 07 Stang

So are you saying all the other brand sixers that comewith duals shouldn't have them? Like Acura's, Ford Fusion, Edge....I could go on and on, but I think you get my point!
Ford messed up when they didn't put duals on the V6. To remedy that, they now offer a Performance Package for the '08 Mustang V6, which now WE can purchase too!
So, do you think it's still dumb?

As far as the GT emblem goes, I like the Tribar much better thank you!
yeah, putting duals on the factory v6 would hinder sales of the gt. it obviously does not match in performance but in the marketing side of it, it would have definately had an impact. its purely marketing strategy. the 4.0 is definitely more deserving of duals than accords and tiburons. JMO.
Old 12-23-2007, 11:27 PM
FyouGitive
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 07 Stang

I'm not sure I do. The cars you mention aren't Mustangs; different designs, different installations, different responses to different modifications. No telling how many or which of them is a "marketing" dual setup as well, eh?

My friend the Racer Who Has Contacts Throughout The Industry said he discussed dual vs. single exhaust on Ford V6 engines with an engineer who did much of the exhaust development work for Ford. The engineer said the expense and effort required to equip a Ford V6 with a working dual exhaust system was far in excess of the value of benefits accrued; there were some measurable but small gains in high-end power, but not enough to warrant the investment on a performance basis. A well-designed single exhaust did nearly as much. Speaking of a stock or lightly-modified engine.

I conclude that installing dual exhaust on a S197 V6 Mustang is an aesthetic matter, not a practical one; that is, if you like the look, feel, and sound, duals is good. I like 'em, they look good, some of them sound good, they make a lot of difference how I feel driving a car, but until those considerations become more important to me than better handling or proven performance enhancement like Cold Air Induction and a Tune, I'll stick with a single FRPP M-5230-GTA. I view that as a practical solution, at present. And it doesn't sound all that bad, either:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxfEFETgvIA
Old 12-24-2007, 01:29 AM
raubt
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FyouGitive

I conclude that installing dual exhaust on a S197 V6 Mustang is an aesthetic matter, not a practical one; that is, if you like the look, feel, and sound, duals is good.
+1!

The recorded and verifiable performance gains of dual exhaust on V6 Mustang's seem negligable at best.

What did someone say previously? Some performance shop had dyno'd GT take-offs as adding 6hp or something? Let's assume that's even true (which is arguable), and say that all other dual set-ups would show similar gains over stock.

Is it worth $400-$1400 to gain 6 horses?

Probably not.

But that doesn't really matter. Like FyouGitive said, duals on a V6 are all about aesthetics. Looks better than a single, typically sounds better than a single. Performance isn't really the issue here.

In fairness, most people buying V6's aren't that huge into the performance sector of the market anyway. There are exceptions with superchargers and other performance mods, of course, but generally the V6 Mustang is all about aesthetic appeal anyway. Dual exhaust on a 6-banger is just another logical extension of this.
Old 12-24-2007, 09:25 AM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

Old 12-24-2007, 11:38 AM
afixer
5th Gear Member

it looks so much better with duals

MEASURE TWICE CUT ONCE! LIKE OTHERS SAID . I USED BLUE MASKING TAPE THEN MARKED, THEN TRIMED IT WITH A DREMIL TOOL THEN FINISHED IT OFF WITH THE DRUM SANDER ATTACHMENT TO SMOOTH THE EDGES AND BRING IT TO MY LINE. JUST TKE YOUR TIME ! I ALSO USED TOUCH UP PAINT TO DO THE EDGES BECAUSE THE BLACK BUMPER SHOWS BIGTIME ON THE YELLOW.

Quick Reply: Want to Dual Exhaust, but there's a wee problem